HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Suburbs

Old Posted Nov 11, 2020, 3:36 PM

[Stoney Creek] 1290 South Service Road | ? | 28fl | Proposal

New proposal for an emtpy lot beside Costco on Winona Road. The QEW is becoming quite a little high-rise canyon between Grimsby and Hamilton.

The proposal consists of a 28-storey apartment tower and townhouses at grade, comprising a total 624 residential units and 7,253-square metres of retail space.

This is going in front of the Hamilton DRP. Images are from Nova Res Urbis:

I imagine this will finally force the city to extend bus service to Winona.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2020, 7:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
I imagine this will finally force the city to extend bus service to Winona.
This is such a car-dependent location, there's no way 650 units of housing will create sufficient demand for public transit. Even if a bus route brought people between GOTL and downtown Stoney Creek every 15 minutes all day, stopping here on the way, I don't think more than a handful of people could make a go of life here without a car. I'm a big advocate for density, and this will propel our community in the right direction regarding housing needs, but in the wrong direction regarding environmental sustainability.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2020, 9:04 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyhamont View Post
This is such a car-dependent location, there's no way 650 units of housing will create sufficient demand for public transit. Even if a bus route brought people between GOTL and downtown Stoney Creek every 15 minutes all day, stopping here on the way, I don't think more than a handful of people could make a go of life here without a car. I'm a big advocate for density, and this will propel our community in the right direction regarding housing needs, but in the wrong direction regarding environmental sustainability.
Maybe not this one alone, but there are other developments planned between Hwy 8 and the QEW east of Fruitland Rd.

The article I linked notes 15,000 more people will be living there, and this is a 20-year "vision" so who knows how long before regular transit service becomes feasible, but it will be needed at some point. The stuff proposed and planned north of the QEW will create demand for it too.

There will likely be the same debate over who pays for that service, if the area-rated-transit issue isn't put to bed (as it should have been years ago!)

Old Posted Nov 11, 2020, 9:09 PM

Quote:
Eventually there will be enough demand. Send the bus to connect to Winona, this development, Costco, the retail, and then through Fifty Point, I think you would have enough demand to have some sort of basic service frequency. You would get people from Stoney Creek taking it out here to go to the retail too, it wouldn't just serve local residents.

This area is always going to be car dependent, doesn't mean it needs to be 100% so.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2020, 9:10 PM

Quote:
I've used the trans cab out to this area for work on numerous occasions. You'd be surprised how many people travel from the core to Stoney Creek Business Park for work. Combined with the massive expansion of Winona Crossing and new developments like this, the demand will be there for an extended bus route.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2021, 10:35 PM
Ham-burgher

The tower is no longer in the plan, and fewer units are proposed with much less commercial space.

Proposed Winona Point survey scraps controversial ‘twisty tower’
Area’s councillor calls scaled-down plan ‘win-win’ for community

https://www.hamiltonnews.com/news-st...twisty-tower-/

Richard Leitner
Stoney Creek News
Tuesday, June 22, 2021

A massive proposed residential and commercial development near the Winona Crossing Shopping Centre is scrapping a 28-storey “twisty tower” that became more of a lightning rod for opposition than the gateway feature envisioned by its proponents.

A scaled-back plan for the Winona Point survey, to be presented at a June 29 online open house, now proposes 454 housing units in 16 four-storey stacked townhouses and five three-storey mixed-use buildings.

That’s down from the original 624 units, including 266 in the 28-storey tower, presented to the public back in March.

Proposed for a 3.45-hectare property by South Service Road and Vince Mazza Way, the development also includes 2,475 square metres of commercial space, with 621 underground and 50 surface parking spots.

Coun. Maria Pearson, who represents the area, said she’s “thrilled” by the new plan and decision to remove the highrise tower that had upset many people and likely would have taken years to build.

She said the “breathtaking development” won’t have any internal traffic other than pedestrian and cycling roads that will allow access for emergency vehicles.

“I think this is a win-win,” Pearson said. “I think the neighbourhood will accept this and be more tolerant of the proposal,” she said.

full story here

Old Posted Jun 22, 2021, 11:30 PM
Burger Connoisseur

OMG who got pissed off enough about the tower here that it got scrapped? This is a commercial/industrial area NO ONE LIVES HERE. NIMBY's working long distance complaints now!?!?

Old Posted Jun 22, 2021, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StEC View Post
OMG who got pissed off enough about the tower here that it got scrapped? This is a commercial/industrial area NO ONE LIVES HERE. NIMBY's working long distance complaints now!?!?
"I want to drive home 1.5 hours and then do nothing, and everyone around me should have to suffer the suburban experiment with me, no moving forward"

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Jun 22, 2021, 11:50 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
I would wager it was mostly people living on the north side of the QEW. Or others in the general area afraid that these condo towers will start sprouting like mushrooms in damp manure.

"It will block the sunlight"
"They'll be able to see into my yard... what about my privacy?"
"Oh the traffic!!!"

Old Posted Jun 23, 2021, 10:56 AM

All the subdivisions in Winona are getting marketed as “rural lifestyle” type deals, despite being standard subdivisions. Plus the Fruitland-Winona secondary plan area has a locally very important 4 storey height limit.

Residents view the area as rural, especially south of the QEW. It makes sense that a 20 storey building would conflict with that.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2022, 12:48 PM

The development is called "Livingway"

source

source

source

Old Posted Oct 11, 2022, 12:52 PM

No tower no party

Old Posted Oct 11, 2022, 3:40 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomax View Post
The development is called "Livingway"
LivingQueenElizabethWay

Old Posted Oct 11, 2022, 10:32 PM
Burger Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
LivingQueenElizabethWay
LOL that's what I thought of when I read the name. Nice development but I still don't see why a tower here got denied.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2022, 1:36 AM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
LOL that's what I thought of when I read the name. Nice development but I still don't see why a tower here got denied.
Something a bit taller next to the freeway would have been appropriate... perhaps not 28-storeys, but what about 10-12 for longer structures parallel to the QEW? IMO that may have helped create a noise barrier for the shorter multi-unit buildings.

That said, this will be a fairly dense community with the 3- and 5-floor building clusters. Maybe it will be a good model for intensification elsewhere in the city, where towers are viewed as dragons.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Suburbs