Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah89 View Post
It's more normal.
How?

Old Posted Jun 27, 2019, 3:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
How?
American English (standard) sounds considerably more intelligent. The Canadian Accent sounds like... well, we've all heard ''Doug Ford'' speak.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2019, 3:33 AM
I am a typical

Quote:
American English (standard) sounds considerably more intelligent.
Why do you think that is?

Quote:
The Canadian Accent sounds like... well, we've all heard ''Doug Ford'' speak.
Throw Jordan Peterson in with him.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2019, 3:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
Why do you think that is?

I'm not sure. Maybe better pitch and intonation?

Throw Jordan Peterson in with him.

Jordan sounds like Kermit the frog and his ''aboats'' are hard. Was he the Professor of Hoser University?

Old Posted Jun 27, 2019, 3:37 AM
I am a typical

Someone stole his nose as a child and his entire philosophy career is his way of getting back at the world for it. Telling us to read all of his books and watch all of his lectures isn't a helpful suggestion; it's punishment for theft.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2019, 7:07 AM
BANNED

Quote:
American English (standard) sounds considerably more intelligent. The Canadian Accent sounds like... well, we've all heard ''Doug Ford'' speak.
Only to you and a few other American wanna-be likes of "Canadians". Seriously, it's people like you that are ruining this country's culture and heritage and aiding in the Americanization of Canada.

By all means, please move there and enjoy your "more intelligent" English

Old Posted Jun 27, 2019, 12:29 PM
Closed account

See...people talk about the 'American' accent like it's one thing. There's a bunch of regional accents, many of them not terribly associated with being 'intelligent'.

Accents from the Southeast, Texas and the Midwest aren't associated with intelligence.

There is an 'American Western' accent that Canadians sound similar to.

That being said, the similarity is a reflection of our media from the south. I don't really have any strong feelings about it - people talk how they talk. I'm not putting on a 'Bob and Doug Mackenzie' accent just because.

I don't really have a hate-on for the country either. It has its good things and flaws, just like any other place. It would probably do us some good to broaden our gaze beyond the place and learn from other countries, but hey, I'm not going to be harping on people to go against what they seem to want.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2019, 12:40 PM

Quote:
I find Doug Ford a special case. It's not his accent that's so weird, it's his intonation (worse when he's reading a speech, but it's always there).

Old Posted Jun 27, 2019, 12:42 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

I don't judge people's intelligence based on accents, but it's true that compared to Anglo-Canadian clipped vowels, many American accents sound a bit "lazy" to my ears.

For some people I guess there can be an association there with assumed intelligence. (Though not for me as I said.)

Old Posted Jun 27, 2019, 12:45 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
I find Doug Ford a special case. It's not his accent that's so weird, it's his intonation (worse when he's reading a speech, but it's always there).
Doug always struck me as more of a 'blue-collar' accent less of a 'hoserish' one.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2019, 12:49 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

BTW "huh" at the end of a sentence doesn't really sound any smarter than "eh", if you ask me.

And don't even get me started on "uh-huh" in place of "you're welcome" when you thank someone...

Old Posted Jun 27, 2019, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I don't judge people's intelligence based on accents, but it's true that compared to Anglo-Canadian clipped vowels, many American accents sound a bit "lazy" to my ears.

For some people I guess there can be an association there with assumed intelligence. (Though not for me as I said.)
I've met people in the States who felt the stigma was significant enough that they took accent remediation lessons.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2019, 2:24 PM

Quote:
That intonation I have heard before. An awkward, halting lilt. It's a staple of a the accent. I don't think Canadians realize how strong our accent really is and how it sounds to other people. Doug Ford's accent is actually quite common in a lot of men I have met in Ontario.. not all of them, but quite a few.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2019, 2:29 PM

I think cadence and speed make a big impact. If someone talks slowly and a bit monotone, I have to catch myself from thinking they are less intelligent.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2019, 2:30 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
And don't even get me started on "uh-huh" in place of "you're welcome" when you thank someone...
Indeed, uh-huh instead of "you're welcome" to me translates as "whatever", and carries the implication of being a kind of brush-off. I find it vaguely insulting.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2019, 2:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorkuta View Post
I think cadence and speed make a big impact. If someone talks slowly and a bit monotone, I have to catch myself from thinking they are less intelligent.
In Ford's case, it's not a monotone. I don't know what the correct terminology would be but he rises in the first half of virtually every sentence and then falls (or just levels off) in the second half. One would expect to hear that on ocassion in a speech, for example, but to hear it in sentence after sentence is strange. I don't think I've ever heard anything quite like it.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2019, 2:41 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
In Ford's case, it's not a monotone. I don't know what the correct terminology would be but he rises in the first half of virtually every sentence and then falls (or just levels off) in the second half. One would expect to hear that on ocassion in a speech, for example, but to hear it in sentence after sentence is strange. I don't think I've ever heard anything quite like it.
Did Rob Ford not speak like that too?

Old Posted Jun 27, 2019, 2:44 PM

Quote:
Did Rob Ford not speak like that too?
Good question. It's hard to remember. He certainly had a similar accent, but I don't recall the intonation being as big a factor as it is wth DoFo. Perhaps it's a learned (and failed) rhetorical device on DoFo's part?

Old Posted Jun 27, 2019, 3:05 PM

Quote:
Good question. It's hard to remember. He certainly had a similar accent, but I don't recall the intonation being as big a factor as it is wth DoFo. Perhaps it's a learned (and failed) rhetorical device on DoFo's part?
Watching on youtube Rob Ford's last interview (about his Cancer) his accent was not as strong as his brother. Doug's speech is staccato. Rob was standard Hoser - the way he said ''Chemo'' in the interview ''The CheeemOOOO was tough'' - was the very classic Canadian extended ''O''. I don't know how either of these brothers got in.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada