HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted May 24, 2018, 5:42 AM
heavy user of walkability

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbad View Post
in San Bruno, they may be getting ready to demolish an abandoned building next to the 'new' train station. I've been waiting for this since the station opened, and hope we get a solid development there. no time to research it at the moment

there is also an empty lot across the street ....
sure enough, that building is gone. here is the approach from the north, where you can also see the other lot in the foreground

and here is the lot itself

Old Posted May 29, 2018, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Veteran Peninsula developer wants to see San Mateo County go vertical
By Blanca Torres – Reporter, San Francisco Business Times
May 24, 2018, 2:32pm PDT Updated May 24, 2018, 5:09pm

Steve Dostart wants to see the Peninsula go up. He means that figuratively and literally. For a region known for some of the most cutting-edge industries, schools and residents, the Peninsula’s buildings seem to fall short — they should be much taller to keep up with all the local talent. Dostart focuses on transit-oriented development to address the region’s lack of housing and traffic congestion in a way that can maintain the community’s quality of life. Like most other developers focused on the Peninsula, he’s dealt with long entitlements and residents opposing his projects.

He’s been involved in close to 3 million square feet of office development for tenants including Hewlett Packard, Goldman Sachs & Co., Morgan Stanley and Synopsys. His firm recently completed and leased up 601 Marshall St. in Redwood City, a $100 million plus, 136,000-square-foot Class A office building.

Dostart serves on the taskforce for the Grand Boulevard Initiative, an effort to revitalize and redevelop properties along El Camino Real . . . .
https://www.bizjournals.com/sanfranc...730&j=81838841

Seems like an idea a lot of us would share.

Old Posted May 30, 2018, 7:11 PM

An affordable 100-unit apartment complex proposed near Milpitas’ almost-done BART station cleared a key hurdle last week.

Render:

Quote:
If the project is approved, Lyon told commissioners he expects construction to begin by March 2020 and completion by September 2021.

Baker Lyon, the project manager for developer Resources for Community Development, said 23 of the units would be studios available to tenants who earn $31,920 a year for the entire household and 40 would be one-bedroom units for those earning $71,820 a year.

Twenty-seven apartments would be two-bedroom units for households earning up to $86,220 a year and 12 would be three-bedroom units for those earning $99,000 each year.

Lyon said 20 of the units would be reserved for veterans and 20 for those with special needs, such as recently homeless people, seniors or people with disabilities.
Source: https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/05/...fordable-0601/

Old Posted May 30, 2018, 10:53 PM

This would be a nice addition to the area.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 8:38 AM

San Carlos Transit Village phase 1 is done in some parts...

so now work has shifted to either side of the depot building itself. north side:

south side:

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 4:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbad View Post
San Carlos Transit Village phase 1 is done in some parts...

so now work has shifted to either side of the depot building itself. north side:

south side:

Overall this is a pretty nice project, but I wish the buildings weren't all painted the exact same color. Makes the project look a little bit institutional.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 7:19 PM

Nice to see San Carlos so close to reality! For as awful as the northernmost Peninsula cities (Brisbane, Millbrae, etc) have been regarding blocking housing, and your standard Palo Alto nonsense, refreshing what Redwood City and San Carlos and San Mateo have been building...densifying downtown cores near CalTrain (or in San Mateo's case, building a whole other new downtown!).

Old Posted Jun 15, 2018, 6:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWS View Post
... refreshing what Redwood City and San Carlos and San Mateo have been building...densifying downtown cores near CalTrain (or in San Mateo's case, building a whole other new downtown!).
speaking of San Mateo, we can check in on Station Park Green at Hayward Park Caltrain...

the northern end

moving south...

and, at Hillsdale/Bay Meadows, the third office building is coming along

looking back at the second office building (occupied) in foreground, and the new one in the distance on the left

the tracks will move to the west (out of the pic to the left) with the grade separation project, and the in-between area I think will be a narrow parking lot.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2018, 5:53 AM

another glimpse of the stuff going up near Oyster Point in East South SF (that sounds awkward!), which will become at least somewhat more accessible with the reconfiguration of the SSF Caltrain station and new access from the east side.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2018, 4:54 PM

Milpitas Update 6/26/2018 (4 different projects):

The Fields (371 Housing Units):

Still nothing for the Virgin Hotel...

=========
=========
=========

Capitol 650 which is West of Milpitas BART (489 housing units):

=========
=========
=========

Finally Piper Drive residential (12 floors) and the project that's adjacent to it (Not sure of the name but it has 383 housing units):

(Project adjacent to Piper Drive)

Old Posted Jul 9, 2018, 6:52 PM

It's been a while since I posted. Here's an update in Santa Clara at the intersection of El Camino and Lawrence Expressway:

This massive project (for the area at least) will have 476 units and 108,600 sq ft of retail.

The residential portion is under construction and almost topped up.

Elsewhere, the developments in the San Antonio neighborhood in Mountain View by the Caltrain station has been coming along nicely since my last post a year ago. I forgot to take pictures, but if I get the chance I'll go back and take them. In a nutshell, they've landscaped the sidewalks, added some protected pedestrian crossings, and added new green bike lanes along California and San Antonio.

There are hundreds of new housing units still under construction in this neighborhood (including a seven story!), and Greystar is about to start another one on the site of the old Safeway. The Mountain View City Council approved this project three days ago:

This site was originally being targeted by the Los Altos School District for eminent domain proceedings, but the district has since moved on to another parcel of land across the street next to the San Antonio village development. The developers of the San Antonio village also plan to help LASD build new public parkland on this new parcel to help them fulfill green space requirements.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 4:06 AM

Thanks for the updated posts misken! Pretty excited to see the Mountain View pics

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 4:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillynova View Post
Thanks for the updated posts misken! Pretty excited to see the Mountain View pics
And thank you for your updates on the developments going on by the Milpitas BART station! I've been busy and just sort of lurking on this forum, following the updates. I appreciate your work (also a shout out to Timbad as well for his Caltrain pictures!)

Edit: I did make it down to the San Antonio area today and took some shots.

First off, from the edges on the neighborhood are these twin developments happening on the Los Altos side of El Camino:

This one is Los Altos' first five-story building and was hugely controversial when first proposed. It contains 21 total units. But now that it has safely broken ground, there's a new development on the parcels right next door:

There will be another five-story apartment complex that will replace a few retail buildings and parking lots. It contains 35 total units.

Back across the street into Mountain View, we have (1) Lennar Multifamily communities [204 units] along El Camino (2) and 394 Ortega Ave at the intersection of Ortega and California [144 units].

Here are some pictures of the San Antonio Village Phase II. Unfortunately, Phase II is only office, retail, movie theater, and a hotel, and will not contain a residential component:

Here are some images of the green bike lane striping (I missed the area with the widened and landscaped sidewalks and the new lighted crosswalk across San Antonio). They're not as wide as I would like them to be, but it is better than what we had before and the city didn't have to pay for it.

I was pleased to see the green striping bleed into the Los Altos side as well:

Across the street from the Village project is a residential complex by Prometheus that broke ground last year and I featured in my last MV megapost. It's got 583 units. Since last summer, it looks like they've completed the foundation and are building up:

And lastly, I just wanted to share some pictures of the new elementary school that the Los Altos School District is building in order to serve all the new residents who have been and will be moving into this new neighborhood. What used to be a giant parking crater has gotten a facelift, and I hope the city will continue to put pressure on the developers to pay for sidewalk and bike lane enhancements like they've done so far. With an elementary school here, hopefully the city will upgrade nearby crosswalks and sidewalks to give students a safe route to school. Even though San Antonio is in MV, it is served by the Los Altos School District, and current residents have to travel across town to send their kids to school because both of the nearby LASD schools are full. As noted in my post above, they were looking to take a parcel in the Crossings neighborhood across from the Village development, but has since decided to develop this parking crater into a school and a park:

A Kohl's, T-Mobile, Gamestop, Joann's Fabrics, 24 Hour Gym Superstore, Chinese restaurant Luu Noodles, and a Ramen restaurant will be replaced. The Greystar development next door has indicated that they are willing to have any of these retailers move into their new development. This is one of the most exciting developments in my eyes, because even though this is skyscraperpage forums, we also promote urban livability -- which naturally includes green space. This part of Mountain View lacks in that department, so I'm glad to hear that LASD is working with nearby developers to turn part of this land into a park.

Last edited by misken67; Jul 11, 2018 at 12:55 AM.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2018, 9:09 AM

Projects next to the Warm Springs BART

Next to Tesla side:

Affordable housing next to the Coliseum BART

Something coming up next to Fruitvale station

Old Posted Aug 4, 2018, 7:33 PM

San Leandro BART station and their adjacent new office buildings:

Warm Springs:

Old Posted Aug 6, 2018, 7:16 AM

San Carlos Caltrain, work progressing rapidly on the next phase of the transit village, on what was the north parking lot, abutting the station platforms:

work on the former south parking lot started a couple months later

checking in at Hayward Park Caltrain:

the north end

from the station platform

at Hillsdale, the third office building is coming along

it looks very much like the second office building

Old Posted Aug 8, 2018, 9:18 AM

couple more of San Carlos showing progress on the south parking lot and a larger development further inland

at Hillsdale/Bay Meadows, work continues on the structures to raise the tracks as part of the grade-separation project and new station. I think this will be part of the bases for the new station location (bonus in background: glimpse of Hillsdale Mall expansion)

this is where the tracks will pass over 25th Ave

Old Posted Aug 23, 2018, 8:18 PM

Are there any projects that you guys would like for me to take pictures of? I'm mainly in the south bay and go to SF via BART for work. I might trek out with my drone to take pictures on labor day weekend. Just let me know!

Old Posted Aug 26, 2018, 6:32 PM

Another 7-story, 85-foot tall, mid-rise proposal in Milpitas. This will hold 220 housing units with 10 for very low income households.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2018, 6:40 PM

^^I don't see the parking. I assume in that location it has parking.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations