HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #241  
Old Posted Sep 2, 2018, 5:51 PM
someone123's Avatar
someone123 someone123 is offline
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 25,317
For fun I made this little round-up of SGR area projects:



Hopefully the Google Earth 3D imagery will be updated in a year or two. It's from 2017 and it's already fairly out of date.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #242  
Old Posted Sep 2, 2018, 7:59 PM
teddifax's Avatar
teddifax teddifax is offline
Halifax Promoter!
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Halifax
Posts: 913
Great job!!!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #243  
Old Posted Sep 3, 2018, 3:51 AM
alps's Avatar
alps alps is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 1,518
Great visual!

Here's the number of residential units in each of the recently completed SGR developments, as well as those under construction.

There should be lots more activity on the street in the near future. Good time to go ahead with the streetscaping.

Completed 2004 to 2018
The Paramount 169
The Martello 110
The Trillium 84
Vertu 97
Mary Ann 135

Total 595

Under construction
Margaretta 147
Pavilion 85
Curve 198
South Park Lofts 62
Doyle Block 107
Grafton Park 67
Brenton Suites 170

Total 836 under construction
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #244  
Old Posted Sep 3, 2018, 5:35 PM
someone123's Avatar
someone123 someone123 is offline
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 25,317
There have been a couple smaller ones too like the new BMO building and the one near Dresden Row and Brunswick.

The population density of this small neighbourhood will be similar to many busy neighbourhoods of large cities (I mean areas like inner-city Paris that are full of ~6 storey apartment buildings). It will only be an area with around 5,000 people, but that is still enough to support a lot of local amenities.

Gottingen will not be this densely built up but it is in the middle of a similar transformation. It didn't have enough population density to support many local pedestrian-oriented businesses, but that is changing.

One thing that I think is missing is a plan to integrate the main part of Spring Garden Road with the blocks farther west, and ultimately the Dal campus on Coburg Road. That may sound far-fetched but development sites in the core SGR area are almost gone. As the city grows, Robie Street will naturally morph into more of a commercial street too. There are 8 or 10 developments active along Robie.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #245  
Old Posted Sep 16, 2020, 11:45 AM
atbw atbw is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 192
It's been a while since this thread has been updated, so I thought I'd share my little pet project: Halifax Developments & Transit

It includes ongoing and planned developments, recently finished builds, proposed BRT & fast ferry routes, public infrastructure/Canada Lands projects, and links to development proposal documents or renderings where available.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #246  
Old Posted Sep 17, 2020, 2:47 AM
AdAstra AdAstra is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by atbw View Post
It's been a while since this thread has been updated, so I thought I'd share my little pet project: Halifax Developments & Transit

It includes ongoing and planned developments, recently finished builds, proposed BRT & fast ferry routes, public infrastructure/Canada Lands projects, and links to development proposal documents or renderings where available.
Thanks for your effort atbw! This is a great resource, super easy to navigate through in the Google Maps app. Keep up the great work!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #247  
Old Posted Sep 17, 2020, 12:21 PM
atbw atbw is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdAstra View Post
Thanks for your effort atbw! This is a great resource, super easy to navigate through in the Google Maps app. Keep up the great work!
Thanks! Something really prominent I noticed was the intensity of development along the Robie & Young corridors, and the little pocket of development happening around Main. Hopefully other suburbs like Spryfield start to get more walkable as they get better transit.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #248  
Old Posted Sep 17, 2020, 3:28 PM
ericmacm's Avatar
ericmacm ericmacm is offline
Non-Professional Opinion
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Windsor, ON
Posts: 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by atbw View Post
It's been a while since this thread has been updated, so I thought I'd share my little pet project: Halifax Developments & Transit

It includes ongoing and planned developments, recently finished builds, proposed BRT & fast ferry routes, public infrastructure/Canada Lands projects, and links to development proposal documents or renderings where available.
This is an incredible resource, thank you! I'm working on adding Halifax to my future skyline portfolio, and I was having difficulty collecting everything, but this resource is going to make things so much easier!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #249  
Old Posted Sep 17, 2020, 5:15 PM
AdAstra AdAstra is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericmacm View Post
This is an incredible resource, thank you! I'm working on adding Halifax to my future skyline portfolio, and I was having difficulty collecting everything, but this resource is going to make things so much easier!
This is SO cool ericmacm! Can you let us know when you’ve finished Halifax? I’d love to see what you’ve done. I especially think the waterfront will be really cool to see with the new developments incorporated!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #250  
Old Posted Sep 17, 2020, 5:35 PM
someone123's Avatar
someone123 someone123 is offline
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 25,317
Yes, thanks for making this. It's quite extensive.

I hope Google will soon update the 3D imagery for Halifax. It's getting old now, to the point where you sometimes see markers that are in buildings or on streets that don't exist on the map. This is particularly noticeable in the Larry Uteck Blvd area.

The undeveloped land in the Paper Mill Lake area is becoming more and more conspicuous too.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #251  
Old Posted Sep 17, 2020, 8:56 PM
ericmacm's Avatar
ericmacm ericmacm is offline
Non-Professional Opinion
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Windsor, ON
Posts: 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdAstra View Post
This is SO cool ericmacm! Can you let us know when you’ve finished Halifax? I’d love to see what you’ve done. I especially think the waterfront will be really cool to see with the new developments incorporated!
I intend to make a new thread here once it is done, to showcase my work. It's hard to say when I'll be finished, but at this point I have ~15 done. The interesting part is how spread out Halifax's skyline is, there really is a lot of change for certain individual areas with the models added in (such as the North End), but not much for the overall skyline. It differs a lot from the other cities I'm working on and is very interesting.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #252  
Old Posted Sep 17, 2020, 9:03 PM
someone123's Avatar
someone123 someone123 is offline
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 25,317
Halifax planning rules actually allow for taller buildings outside of downtown than in the old downtown area. There's comparatively little potential building envelope left downtown for development once you factor out the height limits and heritage sites.

Cogswell is a potential future exception to that but there are no proposals for those parcels yet and I believe demolition of the interchange has been put on hold for another year (after many years of delays already, so who knows if it will really happen in 2021).
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #253  
Old Posted Sep 18, 2020, 2:15 AM
mleblanc mleblanc is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericmacm View Post
I intend to make a new thread here once it is done, to showcase my work. It's hard to say when I'll be finished, but at this point I have ~15 done. The interesting part is how spread out Halifax's skyline is, there really is a lot of change for certain individual areas with the models added in (such as the North End), but not much for the overall skyline. It differs a lot from the other cities I'm working on and is very interesting.
Just checked out your previous work, very excited to see what you have for Halifax! Great stuff, thanks for sharing.
Reply With Quote
     
     
End
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 1:07 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.