HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Sep 6, 2021, 12:41 AM

Quick trip back home to Ohio - Columbus

After being away for more than 2 years, I finally made it back to Central Ohio last month for a brief two-night stay with my brother in Columbus. I had a day & a half to be out & about and unfortunately it was very hot & humid on my full day out. I had planned on covering a lot more ground but the weather wore me out (I’m acclimated to the nice comfortable Bay Area weather these days)! Anyway, here are some photos I snapped while wandering around. These are basically from the same areas typically covered by others, but these are nice areas so that’s where I spent my time.

2. I wanted to check out the new Bridge Park development in Dublin, so my brother and I headed up there. This is actually the older “downtown” area of Dublin on the other side of the new pedestrian bridge/Bridge Park Development. For a Monday evening it was rather lively! (this is where we ate dinner)

3. The new pedestrian bridge connecting the old downtown to the new Bridge Park development.

4. Frustratingly I only took a couple photos. The development replaces underutilized land with much denser development so that’s good to see. The architecture isn’t anything brilliant, but there was a decent amount of people out enjoying the bars and restaurants considering it was a Monday evening.

5. My brother & I had a beer here. Nice expansive space that was basically open air on the sides (glass sliding doors and/or garage doors that were open for good air flow during these COVID times).

6. The next morning I started off my full day in the Short North, where I lived before moving away a decade ago (I left in April 2011 for DC). The changes here over the last decade are amazing, but I used to go out to the bars here back in my college days (early 2000s) when this was more of a gayborhood with galleries and LGBT-focused cafes, shops, and restaurants. There's still some of that around, but definitely a different feel these days. I'm a little sad to have lost some of that charm, but as someone who appreciates good urban walkable areas, I really like much of the development! And the years of reconstructing the streetscape along High Street turned out very nice!

7. First stop was One Line Coffee for some caffeine.

24. Off to Victorian Village

34. Into the University District

35. Campus of The Ohio State University (my alma mater)

36. Mirror Lake

40. Thompson Library (main library)

41. The Oval

45. University District

47. North Market

50. Downtown

53. State Capitol

55. Scioto Mile

59. Bicentennial Park

61. Downtown

62. By this point as I headed into German Village, I was sweaty and overheated so I made my way to Fox in the Snow for an iced coffee and concluded my walk around the city at approximately 12 miles covered… I often cover 15+ miles on foot. Wish I’d had the energy to cover a few more miles and explore German Village beyond these few photos. But I was glad to make it to Fox in the Snow. Best pastries in the city and excellent coffee too!

The next morning, I departed early so that concludes my photos from this little trip. Next time I hope to visit in the fall to avoid the awful heat & humidity. Nonetheless it was great to be back in Columbus!

Old Posted Sep 6, 2021, 2:21 AM

Great post, Ohioguy! You departed Cbus right before I moved here in November 2011. I enjoyed your comments and agree about Bridge Park. It’s an interesting development, I love the bridge and how it expands the historic village center across the River, plus I really like how they have their own city market. But I really wish the architecture had more variation— its a bit blah.
I’ve enjoyed living here. I still miss many parts about Mpls (especially the lakes), but Cbus offers a lot of interesting places and it’s so easy to drive to other cities for quick getaways.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2021, 6:40 AM

Last month if you were talking about August yea it was hot and humid for sure.

I thought you said today, it is almost cold out there.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2021, 5:09 PM

Nice looking city. Looks like a place I would like. Thanks for sharing the photos.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2021, 3:40 AM

Really enjoyed this thread. From your photos, Columbus seems to have its own look, and not just another American city. I especially love the old residential areas. Amazing how close those houses are to each other.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2021, 12:56 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

what’s high in the middle and round on both ends?

very good job & nice to see some new stuff.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2021, 2:25 PM
A gruff individual.

Location: Greenville, SC - "Birthplace of the light switch rave"
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioGuy View Post
34. Into the University District
Henry Stauf switched from toymaking to coffee? Scary... I don't think I'd drink it. God only knows what you'd find at the bottom of the cup.
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Old Posted Sep 8, 2021, 12:36 AM
Selfie-stick vendor

gorgeous!

Old Posted Sep 8, 2021, 11:57 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by hauntedheadnc View Post
Henry Stauf switched from toymaking to coffee? Scary... I don't think I'd drink it. God only knows what you'd find at the bottom of the cup.

haha, no stuffed bears, just coffee. its funny to me because staufs was the original and only coffee roaster in columbus on grandview back when i lived there, but nowadays i see they have branches and even a real corporate logo lol:

https://www.staufs.com/

just one of the many changes i see in this thread and elsewhere as columbus has moved on from sleepy and hippy dippy to big city status.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2021, 2:06 PM
A gruff individual.

Location: Greenville, SC - "Birthplace of the light switch rave"
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
haha, no stuffed bears, just coffee. its funny to me because staufs was the original and only coffee roaster in columbus on grandview back when i lived there, but nowadays i see they have branches and even a real corporate logo lol:

https://www.staufs.com/

just one of the many changes i see in this thread and elsewhere as columbus has moved on from sleepy and hippy dippy to big city status.
All I can say to that is, no matter how good their coffee may be, never, ever accept an invitation to come spend the night there -- especially if they've invited six other people. You wouldn't want to be... The 7th Guest!
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Old Posted Sep 8, 2021, 4:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
haha, no stuffed bears, just coffee. its funny to me because staufs was the original and only coffee roaster in columbus on grandview back when i lived there, but nowadays i see they have branches and even a real corporate logo lol
Stauf's on Grandview was one of my happy places when I lived in Columbus. I'd walk in and there were all those bins of coffee beans to peruse through... not to mention the aroma! Then you had the Drexel Theatre nearby to check out an indie movie.

As much as Columbus has changed, it's nice to see some old elements have held on. I noticed Skully's is still there in the Short North... definitely took in some music there. Also noticed ZenCha has hung on... really enjoyed that place for my tea fix.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2021, 2:26 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAsam View Post
Stauf's on Grandview was one of my happy places when I lived in Columbus. I'd walk in and there were all those bins of coffee beans to peruse through... not to mention the aroma! Then you had the Drexel Theatre nearby to check out an indie movie.

As much as Columbus has changed, it's nice to see some old elements have held on. I noticed Skully's is still there in the Short North... definitely took in some music there. Also noticed ZenCha has hung on... really enjoyed that place for my tea fix.
thats very funny — and so columbus in a nutshell these days — because those other two places you mention are from after our time there. i was from the earlier staches and king ave coffeehouse days.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2021, 6:11 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Looking good. I love those parks and ponds that you showcased. Never saw them before and they look very inviting. Columbus has great neighborhoods and lots of good infill projects.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2021, 3:55 AM

Nice pictures! I was in Columbus in 2007 for almost a full day, and I enjoyed it. I also drove through it and stopped by at the beginning of summer.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2021, 10:09 AM

Columbus is a pretty attractive city. It’S nice to see proper scaled development in the central parts, too.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2021, 12:22 PM
BANNED

Nice.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2021, 1:37 PM
somewhere in-between

For not covering a lot of ground, you sure covered a lot of ground! Great photo set, thanks for sharing.

My experiences in Columbus are limited and peripheral. They don't let UMich fans too close to the city center.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2021, 3:33 PM
Community Guy

Very impressive collection of buildings, urbanity and people spaces.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Sep 15, 2021, 7:38 PM

Thanks for sharing your photos! Columbus is a very comfortable city, and it's constantly growing and improving itself. Columbus in 2021 is a much more vibrant, urban, and cosmopolitan city than the Columbus I visited as a kid in the 90s.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2022, 2:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioGuy View Post

Love this bridge!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos