HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Nov 14, 2011, 2:35 AM
99.9%-Urban .1%-Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illithid Dude View Post
Yes, DTLA is really that dense. Also, this question should probably be in the Downtown Los Angeles thread, but whatever.
Oops I forgot

FINAL FANTASY XIII-2 "Don't play with Lightning"

Old Posted Nov 14, 2011, 2:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond007 View Post
^ I drove by the Wilshire/Barrington Tower site last night on my way out. There's a concrete pump and 2 crane's on site. Not sure if they're truck-mounted cranes or crawler cranes. Couldn't see because of the fence barricade. They were working into the early evening. If I can get some pics soon I will.
The 2 cranes on site look like they doing perimeter shoring work. Not sure the name of that piece of equipment unfortunately, but it hammers steel plates down into the ground, and they then become the temporary outer wall for the space underground.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2011, 8:19 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Yes, DTLA is really that dense. Also, this question should probably be in the Downtown Los Angeles thread, but whatever.
DTLA is ghetto dense.

onemetropolis - you didn't really miss out on much. DTLA isn't as interesting as it appears from aerials and skilled photography. especially if you've been to more urban cities. Here's my summary of downtown LA:

chinatown - forgettable asian swap-meet
olvera - mexican themed swap-meet where you can buy maracas and sombreros that are made in china
little tokyo - ok, maybe worth a look
bunker hill (where all the skyscrapers are) - brutal and sterile. just buy a postcard.
broadway - giant salvadoran swap-meet (albeit amidst beautiful old buildings)
south park - overly commercialzed LA Live clusterfuck - if you've been to downtown disney or any number of other soul-less "McDowntown" developments, you've seen them all. aka downtown disney with jumbotrons. espnzone, lawry's, lucky strike, etc. etc. blah blah.

the reason downtown la is uninteresting - until recently, it hasn't been a real functioning urban community. just vestiges of a distant urban past

Last edited by edluva; Nov 15, 2011 at 8:57 AM.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2011, 8:34 AM
Paramoderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by edluva View Post
DTLA is ghetto dense.

onemetropolis - you didn't really miss out on much. DTLA isn't as interesting as it appears from aerials and skilled photography. especially if you've been to more urban cities. chinatown is a forgettable asian swap-meet, little tokyo is ok, bunker hill (where all the skyscrapers are) is brutal and sterile, and broadway is a giant salvadoran swap-meet (albeit amidst beautiful old buildings). south park can be summed up by the overly commercialzed LA Live clusterfuck - if you've been to downtown disney or any number of other soul-less "McDowntown" projects, you've seen them all.
Not so. Around 7th Street, Spring, and Main are great, vibrant, non swap-meety areas. However, if this conversation is to continue, it should continue in the DTLA thread...

Old Posted Nov 15, 2011, 8:40 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Not so. Around 7th Street, Spring, and Main are great, vibrant, non swap-meety areas. However, if this conversation is to continue, it should continue in the DTLA thread...
well, stop continuing this discussion then.

you obviously have different (eg. lower) standards, and need to get out of la to see what real urbanism is about.

7th and fig is just crappy. i half expect to see a vacant montgomery wards, payless shoes, and an orange julius in that pit (but until recently pleasantly surprised to see an outdated macy's). the rest of 7th is just spotty, perhaps only good for "canyon photo-op" and the extremely occasional dinner you'll only go to because your tightly knit group of high-school friends are having a reunion at wockano's.
spring - spotty. couple restaurants here and there. see above.
main - spotty. couple restaurants here and there. see above.

overall - lack of cohesion. dtla is still a destination/event hood. get in, and get out. don't pretend it's suddenly become some established urban nabe just because it's gained some hipster-occupied lofts over the past decade.

Last edited by edluva; Nov 15, 2011 at 8:52 AM.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2011, 9:01 AM
Paramoderator

Quote:
well, stop continuing this discussion then.

you obviously have different (eg. lower) standards, and need to get out of la to see what real urbanism is about.

7th and fig is just crappy. i half expect to see a vacant montgomery wards, payless shoes, and an orange julius in that pit (but until recently pleasantly surprised to see an outdated macy's). the rest of 7th is just spotty, perhaps only good for "canyon photo-op" and the extremely occasional dinner you'll only go to because your tightly knit group of high-school friends are having a reunion at wockano's.
spring - spotty. couple restaurants here and there. see above.
main - spotty. couple restaurants here and there. see above.

overall - lack of cohesion. dtla is still a destination/event hood. get in, and get out. don't pretend it's suddenly become some established urban nabe just because it's gained some hipster-occupied lofts over the past decade.
All right, fuck it, let's continue the discussion here. Believe me, I've been out of L.A. and seen what real urbanism is about. I've been through Europe, Asia, South America, and North Ameica, and seen the best cities those continents have to offer. And yes, I realize that Los Angeles is not at the legal of those great urban cities. But still, you undersell L.A. too much. I would hardly compare Bottega Louie, Mas Malo, Sugar Fish, or any of the other restaurants on 7th to Wokano. The same with the great restaurants on Spring or Main. Moreover, high end shopping has started opening up on those streets over the last year. Why, just last week, a new men's boutique opened up on Spring, one of a decidedly high end nature. You can't expect downtown to be on the same level of, say, Melrose, yet. It still gentrifying. But it is so much better then you always say it is.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2011, 9:18 AM
BANNED

i won't disagree with you that downtown LA is a good place to dine out on the occasion.

but i will say, not much more than that. if i had a weekend visitor here from germany or tokyo, or sydney, (as i have), downtown la would not be a best foot to put forward. perhaps a good place to spend an hour for dinner, fly-by for skyline pics off the 10 - and then leave. would you not agree?

how do i undersell LA? it really does suck at urbanism. its food culture absolutely underwhelms for a city of its size, and relies on the sheer size of its immigrant enclaves for anything worthwhile. true street life is anemic. everything good about LA relies on its sheer scope. but pound for pound, it absolutely sucks at being a big city. how do i know? i speak to people all over the world, those who actually know a thing or two about urbanism

LA is only cool as a concept once you include all the sights that are not really in LA, but dispersed across its expanse of ubiquitous suburbs.

Last edited by edluva; Nov 15, 2011 at 9:31 AM.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2011, 9:36 AM
Paramoderator

Quote:
i won't disagree with you that downtown LA is a good place to dine out on the occasion.

but i will say, not much more than that. if i had a weekend visitor here from germany or tokyo, or sydney, (as i have), downtown la would not be a best foot to put forward. perhaps a good place to spend an hour for dinner, fly-by for skyline pics off the 10 - and then leave. would you not agree?

how do i undersell LA? it really does suck at urbanism. its food culture absolutely underwhelms for a city of its size, and relies on the sheer size of its immigrant enclaves for anything worthwhile. true street life is anemic. everything good about LA relies on its sheer scope. but pound for pound, it absolutely sucks at being a big city. how do i know? i speak to people all over the world, those who actually know a thing or two about urbanism

LA is only cool as a concept once you include all the sights that are not really in LA, but dispersed across its expanse of ubiquitous suburbs
How do you undersell L.A.? By writing this like you just wrote. I'm typing on an iPad, which is sort of a pain, so not going to dispute all of your claims. Just some of them. You say that L.A. has no food culture. Now, that might be the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard anyone say about L.A. Almost everyone can agree, or apparently almost everyone, L.A. has great food. From the taco stands to the sushi bars, L.A. has some of the best food in the country, if not the world. I've heard multiple highly regarded international people say that L.A. Has the best selection of food in the country. Say what you will about architecture, or urbanism, but don't say that L.A. has no food culture. Also, we have the best hamburgers in the world, and that is a fact.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2011, 9:58 AM
BANNED

Quote:
How do you undersell L.A.? By writing this like you just wrote. I'm typing on an iPad, which is sort of a pain, so not going to dispute all of your claims. Just some of them. You say that L.A. has no food culture. Now, that might be the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard anyone say about L.A. Almost everyone can agree, or apparently almost everyone, L.A. has great food. From the taco stands to the sushi bars, L.A. has some of the best food in the country, if not the world. I've heard multiple highly regarded international people say that L.A. Has the best selection of food in the country. Say what you will about architecture, or urbanism, but don't say that L.A. has no food culture. Also, we have the best hamburgers in the world, and that is a fact.
foodwise, la relies too much on the scale of it's ethnic enclaves for anything worthwhile. it's great food, but serving a near facsimile of food from x y and z countries does not constitute a local "restaurant scene". it just means that LA is a big diverse metro area, and has some great authentic ethnic food.

But LA lacks a strong restaurant scene - one where local chefs open restaurants which define new and innovate genres of cooking. LA has lots of poseurs - restaurants and restauranteurs focused more on image than substance (how surprising!). We have trendy interior decorators and neat looking restaurants as a result, but the focus on food is lacking. just like our actors, they come here to become famous, not because they are artists obsessed with the art of acting.

i will say it - LA lacks a strong food culture. kind of goes with the fact that it lacks urbanism - almost all of the things that we value about civilization (including cuisine) stem from urbanism so it should be no surprise.

Last edited by edluva; Nov 15, 2011 at 10:15 AM.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2011, 10:08 AM
Paramoderator

Quote:
foodwise, la relies too much on the scale of it's ethnic enclaves for anything worthwhile. but serving a near facsimile of food from x y and z countries does not constitute a local "food scene". it just means that LA is a big diverse metro areav, and has some great ethnic food.

But LA lacks a strong restaurant scene - one where local chefs open restaurants which define new and innovate genres of cooking. LA has lots of poseurs - restaurants and restauranteurs focused more on image than substance (how surprising!). We have great interior decorators, but the focus on food is lacking. just like our actors, who come here to become famous, not because they are artists consumed with the art of acting.

i will say it - LA lacks a strong food culture.
Simply not true. Like I said, we have great hamburgers. Arguably,the best in the world. L.A Invented the gastropub, which has become so popular around the country. And I can think of dozens of retardants that do not rely on other cultures and still manage to be amazing culinary experiences. I could list them, but it is pointless to do so. However, it say that there is no food culture in L.A. Is simpy incorrect.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2011, 10:16 AM
BANNED

believe what you will. great hamburgers. good going! i don't believe you've traveled extensively like you've implied if you fall back on LA's gourmet hamburger "scene" as a counterargument. clearly you demonstrate no clue about food scenes elsewhere, i know you're not a person i'd ask for dining recommendations that's for sure

and i should mention i'm not wholesale implying that la has no good innovative restaurants. but relatively few and far between, and for a city of its size, a very weak "scene" if you'd even all it one.

btw, the gastropub concept was coined in the british isles. it's fairly obvious they'd be the first to come up with the idea.

Last edited by edluva; Nov 15, 2011 at 10:27 AM.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2011, 12:10 PM

moderators, please...

Old Posted Nov 15, 2011, 4:58 PM

Illithid Dude becomes the latest victim of Edluva's bait. No need to go into these conversations here... ColeMonkee will end up rightfully deleting it all.

Last edited by LAsam; Nov 15, 2011 at 6:45 PM.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2011, 6:30 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAsam View Post
Illithid Dude become the latest victim of Edluva's bait. No need to go into these conversations here... ColeMonkee will end up rightfully deleting it all.
How true. You have to wonder how LA shows up on so many top 5's and top 10's in the WORLD with no culture, no arts, no food, no educational institutions, no anything.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2011, 6:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesto View Post
How true. You have to wonder how LA shows up on so many top 5's and top 10's in the WORLD with no culture, no arts, no food, no educational institutions, no anything.
They've all bought in to all the SSP boosterism!

Old Posted Nov 16, 2011, 2:05 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesto View Post

Old Posted Nov 16, 2011, 2:13 AM
Paramoderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAsam View Post
Illithid Dude becomes the latest victim of Edluva's bait. No need to go into these conversations here... ColeMonkee will end up rightfully deleting it all.
Yeah, I'm done. There is no use arguing with him, he exists for the sole purpose of making others angry. I'm done, I know I am right, and so does the rest of the world, and that is what matters to me.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2011, 2:21 AM
BANNED

edluva trolled and derailed the thread but I can't really disagree with much of what he said, nor does anything he said negate that there's a lot of great food in L.A. Sometimes people need to separate their ego's from the city they live in. It really goes for SSP as a whole.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2011, 2:31 AM
Paramoderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by all of the trash View Post
edluva trolled and derailed the thread but I can't really disagree with much of what he said, nor does anything he said negate that there's a lot of great food in L.A. Sometimes people need to separate their ego's from the city they live in. It really goes for SSP as a whole.
No, shhhhhhh. We're done talking about food. Just, don't bring it up.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2011, 3:10 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Yeah, I'm done. There is no use arguing with him, he exists for the sole purpose of making others angry. I'm done, I know I am right, and so does the rest of the world, and that is what matters to me.
I know I'm right, therefore I am!

source?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations