HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted May 20, 2022, 1:27 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Population discussion moved to the general thread:

https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...08431&page=190

Old Posted May 20, 2022, 2:39 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
The surface lot here is not great. I appreciate that they pushed the building up against Loomis St by the CTA entrance and made sure to include an east entrance for CTA riders and walk-in patients, but it's still a garbage site plan.

Loomis is also the best walking/biking route between Little Italy and West Loop, since Racine and Ashland are both dangerous deathtraps with expressway ramps and drivers who want to floor it before they get to the ramp. So, I'm not excited about a destination development that puts more traffic on Loomis. This should really be residential here.

Also an FYI, on the other side of the Eisenhower is the police academy. I'm interested to see what happens to that site after the (controversial) new police academy opens in West Humboldt Park. It's a prime redevelopment site next to some of the best schools in the city. I'm watching the Fire Academy too, but that's in the Roosevelt shopping area so I assume just more suburban retail. The Fire Academy is directly on top of Mrs. O'Leary's cottage, so it would be ironic for the Fire Dept to leave that spot.

Old Posted May 20, 2022, 2:45 PM

Crane going up a few blocks west of 900 W. Randolph. Does anybody know which project it would be?

Old Posted May 20, 2022, 2:50 PM

^160 N. Morgan

Love your view!

Old Posted May 23, 2022, 1:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post
The city is introducing a new TOD ordinance this month: https://news.wttw.com/2022/05/19/eff...-officials-say

I've heard from a certain someone that there should be some as-of-right density incentives if some of the units are affordable. This way, Lightfoot can say she's addressing aldermanic prerogative. Although, things could have changed...
From my sources, one of the big pieces is that SFH-only zoning will be banned near transit stops & bus lines

Old Posted May 23, 2022, 2:10 PM

Right on time:

Quote:
Details here on what would be arguably be Chicagos’s most consequential new housing policy in decades:
- Doubling footprint of TOD zones
- Caps on new parking near transit
- Ban on single-fam zoning in tony transit-rich areas
- Required City Council votes on affordable proposals
https://twitter.com/AlexNitkin/statu...39393565081602

article: https://www.thedailyline.com/lightfo...ic-prerogative

Old Posted May 23, 2022, 2:59 PM

While all of this sounds great - It needs to be paired with continued investment into transit infrastructure, ensuring our buses/trains are safe to ride on, and ensure people have the tools they need to get from point A to point B without a car if they live in a TOD area.

Old Posted May 23, 2022, 5:21 PM

Woah that is very exciting. All it took was an upcoming election to get Lightfoot to be proactive on something.

Old Posted May 23, 2022, 10:23 PM
1st Ward

I like the sound of that! I would love for much higher density/height allowed immediately near transit stations. It would be great to get something like Toronto-style development near L/Metra stops, with 30+ story buildings.

Old Posted May 24, 2022, 1:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by left of center View Post
I like the sound of that! I would love for much higher density/height allowed immediately near transit stations. It would be great to get something like Toronto-style development near L/Metra stops, with 30+ story buildings.
Agree. Hoping it passes (or did it already?). There's no reason there should be SFH right around city train stations especially. Hopefully it can work better and some more mixed use districts with denser housing and walkability to various business can ensue.

Old Posted May 24, 2022, 2:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post
Details here on what would be arguably be Chicagos’s most consequential new housing policy in decades:
- Doubling footprint of TOD zones
- Caps on new parking near transit
- Ban on single-fam zoning in tony transit-rich areas
- Required City Council votes on affordable proposals
The quoting system here on SSP needs an update.

Anyway this is great!

Got a question that is not a judgement nor to push any type of opinion. Just curious.

Lets say I bought this pretend Greystone in Lakeview near the Belmont Redline station, can I turn it into a single family home under this new housing policy?

https://therealdeal.com/chicago/2018...square-report/

Last edited by pip; May 24, 2022 at 2:19 AM.

Old Posted May 24, 2022, 2:45 AM

Interested to read the exact measures proposed, what sort of teeth it will have, and how they plan on getting it passed without having a million exemptions carved out. Fingers crossed for the best.

Old Posted May 24, 2022, 2:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip View Post
Got a question that is not a judgement nor to push any type of opinion. Just curious.

Lets say I bought this pretend Greystone in Lakeview near the Belmont Redline station, can I turn it into a single family home under this new housing policy?
I assume it will be similar to other zoning reforms, most notably Minneapolis. A ban on single family zoning does not mean that single family homes are banned, but that RS zoning (which prohibits the construction of anything BUT detached single family homes) is banned. No one would stop you from deconverting a two flat to a SFH, or building a ground up SFH, but there would be no zoning limiting you to only SFH.

Old Posted May 24, 2022, 4:12 AM

Zoning codes restrict density going up not down, so single family isn’t really “banned”. It’s allowed in all residential districts, just like vacant undeveloped lots are allowed. The barriers to developing multi-unit are reduced or existing legally non-conforming structures are now legally conforming with less barriers to alterations and not requiring special use planning approval.

I don’t know how much things will change. Deconversions happen because the market exists.

Old Posted May 24, 2022, 1:04 PM

sorry it's behind a pay wall but I was able to read on my phone:

https://chicago.suntimes.com/2022/5/...-hansen-hirsch

talks about two high end small unit count condo projects in East Lincoln Park which is something of a rarity

all units starting at $2 million with cash buyers expected (per the developers)

Old Posted May 24, 2022, 1:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizzo View Post
Zoning codes restrict density going up not down, so single family isn’t really “banned”. It’s allowed in all residential districts, just like vacant undeveloped lots are allowed. The barriers to developing multi-unit are reduced or existing legally non-conforming structures are now legally conforming with less barriers to alterations and not requiring special use planning approval.

I don’t know how much things will change. Deconversions happen because the market exists.
there is a pilot deconversion fee ordinance in the area around where I live next to the 606 trail. the aldermen say it's been successful because it has "reduced deconversions" but it's not clear how that is tracked or if its really being tracked.

for example, I have a friend that owns a 2flat and he and his family live in both units with the connecting door removed at the entry lobby. there is no record or notice to the city about that, but it has been converted to a SFH.

I think the deconversion fee is $15,000 but maybe it's $25,000

Old Posted May 24, 2022, 2:09 PM

fees are ineffective too. these arent your run of the mill homebuyers. if youre going to go through the expense of acquiring a 2-flat in a desireable area, dont actually need an extra unit to generate income, and can afford to fully gut it into a SFH, youre probably also the type who can afford to eat a 25k fee.

Old Posted May 24, 2022, 2:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
fees are ineffective too. these arent your run of the mill homebuyers. if youre going to go through the expense of acquiring a 2-flat in a desireable area, dont actually need an extra unit to generate income, and can afford to fully gut it into a SFH, youre probably also the type who can afford to eat a 25k fee.
if "they" can afford the fee, why is there no or very little fee revenue generated from the pilot deconversion ordinance?

fees are ineffective because they are targeting the wrong thing, which should be expected when city council does pretty much anything

you think they are targeting this:

in reality the people buying most two flats in the desirable areas are just families that need an economical option for more space - so they live in the 2 units as one unit. this triggers no fee. which is exactly what my example was in the previous post.

Old Posted May 24, 2022, 4:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
Exactly. It’s the price difference in upgraded quartz and cabinet facing. The homeowners may find that fee a minor annoyance, but not a deal breaker.

Chicago’s typical 2-flat pretty much future proofed itself over a 100 years ago because they can be so easily renovated into single family homes with open floor plans with high ceilings.

Old Posted May 24, 2022, 7:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by west-town-brad View Post
sorry it's behind a pay wall but I was able to read on my phone:

https://chicago.suntimes.com/2022/5/...-hansen-hirsch

talks about two high end small unit count condo projects in East Lincoln Park which is something of a rarity

all units starting at $2 million with cash buyers expected (per the developers)
One of them on Cleveland?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development