HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted May 10, 2012, 1:54 AM
Bionic Boogie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadcruiser1 View Post
Won't be much different from the one on the North Tower's roof.

Also most of the people that are saying that are either people that live in Chicago and are happy to have their Willis Tower for another day, or they are fearful that it would be attacked, but then again any building can be attacked. Those people are just ignorant because the World Trade Center was attacked once. See how sometimes I wished 9/11/2001 never happened?

^^^
attacked twice 1993, 2001
SSP member since 2003
Please do not use any of my photos or videos without my permission. thanks

Old Posted May 10, 2012, 2:06 AM

Agreed. The Empire State Building was built during the Great Depression with absolutely no problems. What is going on with the World Trade Center?

Old Posted May 10, 2012, 2:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlosV View Post
^^^
attacked twice 1993, 2001
Don't worry I highly doubt a 9/11 like even will ever happen again.

Old Posted May 10, 2012, 2:25 AM

I just have to ask this question to all my friends in New York. With all the powerful people in NYC, why doesn't anybody stand up here and do what's right? I mean, is there just nothing that can be done? How can a site that's so important, be so disgraced? Is this final or will we atleast see something else go up, other than this?

Old Posted May 10, 2012, 2:36 AM
New Yorker for life

^ Because there's a difference in being a disgrace, and being ugly. The redesign won't be attractive, but no one can argue that it is a disgrace. It's an office building.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbana View Post
I can't imagine the rendering posted here is final. I am sure SOM is working on something to make it more architecturally pleasing as we speak. I didn't see any indication that the rendering were even official, it may just be something a New York Times worker threw together
Well, it's nice to dream, but more important to read.

Quote:
Asked whether architects could find a compromise design, Mr. Durst demurred. The scaled-down top, he said, "is going to be mounted on the building over the summer. There's no way to do anything at this point."

It's what will be built unless someone steps in to change minds. That would have to be the Port Authority, but it was the PA who approved the change. It would be left to their bosses (the governors) to overrule.

A closer look from the Wall Street Journal...

That's obviously an antenna as opposed to a spire.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted May 10, 2012, 2:51 AM

Quote:
I can't imagine the rendering posted here is final. I am sure SOM is working on something to make it more architecturally pleasing as we speak. I didn't see any indication that the rendering were even official, it may just be something a New York Times worker threw together
I'm clinging on to the idea that SOM has something up their sleeve, because what has been pictured is hideous. No way around it. This is encouraging I suppose:

"...David Childs, the building's lead designer, said in a statement. "We stand ready to work with the Port on an alternate design."

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...619775032.html

Old Posted May 10, 2012, 2:56 AM

Is that the new communications ring? That looks HIDEOUS! We all need to write to someone (governor?) to express our displeasure with this atrocity.

Old Posted May 10, 2012, 3:10 AM

Whoa, what the hell??! They are changing the communications ring toon? When the hell did this happen? I thought only the spire would be affected..That rendering of the revised antenna/ring is UGLY as HELL! Why would they strip the parapet down too? I sure hope SOM or the PA or somebody who cares about design on this tower will stop being a wimp and speak up, like ASAP! Leave the damn tower alone, you idiotic corporate suits! Did you go to design school? I think not. They should just build the roof itself higher, to 1776 feet, and then if they want a basic antenna, so be it..But ONLY if they build the roof higher!

Old Posted May 10, 2012, 3:12 AM

I just have a question on how the Bank of America tower's spire is a spire. Since the Bank of America towers spire is open not enclosed why is 1WTC's antenna not considered a spire?

Old Posted May 10, 2012, 3:17 AM

They've taken the hideous monstrosity that is Four Times Square's antenna, engorged it, and placed it on what will be the most prominent building in the city. Add to that a now naked communications ring.

The building would look better with nothing on top as opposed to this. It overwhelmingly clashes with the architectural style of the building. I can't believe that the powers that be in NYC will allow this to happen.

Old Posted May 10, 2012, 3:19 AM
BANNED

Quote:
That's extraordinarily hopeful and pretty ridiculous. That's a professional render, and it hasn't been photoshopped from a previous one. If Durst is calling the new design "not the end of the world" and downplaying its significance, what could possibly make you think that they care about aesthetics? They're engineers, not architects, and blaming the architects for not accounting for maintenance is a typical engineer-architectural culture war.

Old Posted May 10, 2012, 3:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC GUY View Post
I just have a question on how the Bank of America tower's spire is a spire. Since the Bank of America towers spire is open not enclosed why is 1WTC's antenna not considered a spire?
I'm going to hazard a guess that there is no communications equipment on it, so its function is purely aesthetic. Personally, I don't think Spires or antennas should count in the final height of any building. Now if there is an obs deck in it, that might be different. But I don't think safety standards would allow for something to hold people if it is not structural...

Old Posted May 10, 2012, 3:23 AM

Does David Childs still need to talk with the port about options or is what Durst said the final verdict. They now all agree?

Last edited by sw5710; May 10, 2012 at 3:41 AM.

Old Posted May 10, 2012, 3:27 AM

That's it. Tell Durst to drop dead.

Old Posted May 10, 2012, 3:31 AM

Lets HOPE this is not set in stone yet! If this awful alteration to the design is decided upon, then I have a great idea....do away with an antenna completely, and put a rooftop observation deck on top, like on the old South Tower! Would solve the constant quarreling about the spire/antenna, and give many visitors what they want...the chance to take in the amazing views from the roof like in the old days! Come on Durst, give us SOMETHING to look forward to!

Old Posted May 10, 2012, 3:40 AM

At least it is painted white in the "newest" render that NY Guy posted. Christ what an ugly mess.

I can't tell if the communications ring in that render is what it will look like permanently, or if it is just an example of an "empty" version of the ring without any broadcast dishes installed.

Old Posted May 10, 2012, 3:48 AM

Don't know quite what to think right now......

Perhaps if the radome would be as difficult to maintain overall has Mr. Durst tried to justify, this could be seen by some perhaps not as much a matter of value engineering as simply being realistic....especially if the overall WTC completion timeline is expected to be fulfilled.

TBH, I was never 100% on board with the whole idea. The somewhat bloated shell IMO created a visual discontinuity with the geometry of the building.
And the decision to change the telecom ring to a circular design from the polygonal one before it more or less committed the same insult...maybe more blatantly.

If the above sketches show us what we in fact wind up getting, perhaps they'll live up to the tried and true principle that renderings are generally not completely faithful to the actual finished product.

Stay tuned(?).........I have a slight feeling that we haven't heard the final verdict.

Edit: I *do* wonder if this latest trip-up will spur Bloomberg to throw his hat into the debate. Again, I hear too much hot air being released from too many official big mouths to make sense of what's really happening. There's no way of telling right now who has the last word...at least from my POV.

Edit 2: The more I look at what I originally wrote here, the more I think it is a dangerous thing to give the benefit of the doubt to any public official who thinks he can just trot out lame excuses and expect everyone beneath him to fall for it hook, line and sinker. End of Editing.

Last edited by JayPro; May 10, 2012 at 5:30 AM. Reason: expansion

Old Posted May 10, 2012, 4:21 AM

After reading others' comments and a bit of thought on the issue:

Indeed, why didn't Durst just come out and say *much* earlier in the process that in his opinion, the cladded spire/antenna wouldn't be practical for reasons A, B and C? This literally wicked curveball seems to be courtesy of a corrupt and/or inept PA. Durst has proven himself a stooge for them with his comments. It's BS artistry by proxy; and to do so at such an important juncture in the process is suspicious at best...but equally predictable.

Old Posted May 10, 2012, 4:23 AM

NYC's new landmark looks like crap. Really, that antenna looks nasty as hell. The posters telling us to get over it are even more shameful. London or Paris would never compromise the design of a new highly touted landmark. Well, they have style after all. But in typical NYC, everything must be trash and watered down to maximize every cent of profit, aesthetics be damned. I absolutely hate the developers in this city. Tacky, cheap, lacking an once of civic pride. And that cheap greedy pig bastard Durst has the nerve to lie and blame the redesign on "difficult maintenance"?!

And yes, I hope the 1,776 height designation is revoked immediately. It's 1,373 ft which is so pitiful on the global stage. No longer even the tallest building in the USA! You would think a site like the WTC Complex deserves much more. Such a shame, I was just getting warmed up to the slightly banal design of 1 WTC and the only thing I was really excited for is the spire. Now it's gone!

10 years later: 1 WTC. Blotched. 2 WTC. Nonexistent. 3 WTC. Non existent (and the design of course was shortened, watered down in the process). Tower four, the shortest and most banal of the complex of course is springing up, untouched. NYC.

Last edited by 599GTO; May 10, 2012 at 4:49 AM.

Old Posted May 10, 2012, 4:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive