HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Dec 5, 2020, 3:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
6th Street should not be changed or “cleaned up” or whatever newfangled term we come up with to destroy our city’s nightlife under the false and deceptive guise of “progress”.

That would be like cutting off your nose to spite your face. It has, as it exists, always been a necessary part of what drives Austin‘s growth. Are you all trying to advocate for Austin’s growth curve to shift downward?
I have my personal preference, but I also think we're at a turning point for the city at large. It's a rough place, even before the pandemic hit. The harassment, assaults, shootings . . . I mean, that's not good in any city. Maybe a Dirty Sixth is integral to Austin life, I don't know . . . but I don't think the crime is good at all, and it's undeniably increasing.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2020, 9:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
6th Street should not be changed or “cleaned up” or whatever newfangled term we come up with to destroy our city’s nightlife under the false and deceptive guise of “progress”.

That would be like cutting off your nose to spite your face. It has, as it exists, always been a necessary part of what drives Austin‘s growth. Are you all trying to advocate for Austin’s growth curve to shift downward?
Yep, I agree. The fact that we and even the outside world refer 6th St as "Dirty" gives the impression of it not being pretentious and we seem to love to be self-deprecating about it which could be a draw in itself. But I think tourist and locals alike who venture to East 6th might come away with the impression that calling it Dirty 6th might be over hyped. Its really not that bad. Bourbon St isn't the safest or most cleanest part of New Orleans and people flock there for the history, concentrated night life and its grittiness, just like D6th. The biggest difference imo is how wide 6th St is. Bourbon St has a narrow street down the middle allowing the businesses that line it to be closer together and easier to navigate and a bit more charming and cozy. If 6th St was dirty AND run down, then action would be necessary. I don't think its close to being run down. Anyone who has ever visited a large city with a bustling nightlife row like 6th, expects the smells and grittiness and accepts it as part of the experience. If its too upsetting for some, there's alternatives all over town. I don't think 6th should evolve in any dramatic way. Its one of the few originals left in the city.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2020, 2:12 AM

An interesting skyline evolution video.

https://youtu.be/UWOuKMLLH6w

Last edited by the Genral; Dec 8, 2020 at 2:36 AM.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2020, 9:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
An interesting skyline evolution video.

https://youtu.be/UWOuKMLLH6w
Apparently he made a January 2020 video too but without the evolution

Video Link

Old Posted Dec 8, 2020, 9:45 PM

Another very good short Austin Doc.

https://youtu.be/2elOpWc0nWI

Old Posted Dec 16, 2020, 4:37 PM

So Austin elected an internet troll with narcissistic tendencies to city council. We'll see how that goes.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2020, 4:39 PM

Meh. She gets to be the token republican for a term and then can get the boot.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2020, 5:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freerover View Post
So Austin elected an internet troll with narcissistic tendencies to city council. We'll see how that goes.
Read a good post on Reddit today which made a lot of sense. Their theory is that it is more of a protest vote against the incumbent than a vote FOR the Q-crazy nutcase. The two main factors being increased homelessness/crime that so many of us lament, and also an accelerating affordability crisis, both of which CC have done seemingly nothing about. Hopefully this will serve as a wake-up call for the other CC members to actually get something done about both of these issues instead of letting them fester like they have for the last few years.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2020, 5:48 PM

all you have to do is talk about reinstating the camping ban. talk to people in your outer circle who live here. It's the most unpopular thing imaginable. Would've been banned too if they didn't play around with signatures...but that's the game

Old Posted Dec 18, 2020, 2:58 PM

I was wondering, what do you all think is the most significant building to ever have been demolished in Austin? The UT admin building downtown? Brackenridge? Highland Mall?
Some random west campus apartment? Significance is subjective of course but I'd like to hear your opinions.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2020, 3:16 PM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxsnail View Post
I was wondering, what do you all think is the most significant building to ever have been demolished in Austin? The UT admin building downtown? Brackenridge? Highland Mall?
Some random west campus apartment? Significance is subjective of course but I'd like to hear your opinions.
I would say the most prominent/visible demolition would be is (albeit still ongoing) the Brackenridge hospital tract.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2020, 4:42 PM

Quote:
Original UT main building.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2020, 4:47 PM

Quote:
the hotel that was on the 6xg tract. before the building that was on it a year ago

Old Posted Dec 18, 2020, 4:47 PM

Old Posted Dec 19, 2020, 4:01 PM

Alamo Hotel for sure.....honestly, anything from the early 20h century near the capital as well.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2020, 2:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freerover View Post
Original UT main building.
Thanks, I never knew about this building. Amazing that anyone would have wanted to tear it down

Old Posted Dec 21, 2020, 3:40 PM

It was a dump when I got here in 1959.
Parents refused to stay in it and opted for the new Austin Motel on South Congress instead.

Don’t forget the 1876 Travis County courthouse on the NE corner of 11th & Congress that was demolished in the late 1920s:

Last edited by Armybrat; Dec 21, 2020 at 3:54 PM.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2020, 6:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armybrat View Post
It was a dump when I got here in 1959.
Parents refused to stay in it and opted for the new Austin Motel on South Congress instead.

Don’t forget the 1876 Travis County courthouse on the NE corner of 11th & Congress that was demolished in the late 1920s:

Damn. That is a shame.

Love those in street rails and overhead wires.

Last edited by kingkirbythe....; Dec 22, 2020 at 2:55 PM.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2020, 7:20 PM

Generally speaking, the number of gorgeous Victorian buildings torn down in American cities the last century is criminal. You can google up "Forgotten _______" and fill in the city (New York, LA, Chicago, Sheboygan) and be bowled over with the losses.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2020, 8:01 PM
Resident Moron

Austin is honestly lucky the lawfirms on the West side of downtown moved into a lot of our victorians and saved them.

Franklin Savings bank also saved the Tipps manor and it's a gym (now on Congress and Oltorf - originally downtown).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin