HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jun 2, 2020, 12:40 AM

Newark is almost like another borough of New York City.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2020, 8:23 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will O' Wisp View Post
To an outsider that difference might be indistinguishable, but to someone from the bay area it would be like saying Newark and Manhattan are "basically the same thing" (and let me tell you, as a born and raised Californian NY and NJ seem pretty much the same to me)
Thanks for the lengthy tutorial and analogy, but I lived in the Bay Area for four years and am far from an "outsider".

Your perspective is what it is, and mine is mine. So be it.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2020, 8:28 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinpeaks View Post
Growing up in San Francisco Bay Area, San Jose has always felt and looked like a suburb.
That's because it is.

Quote:
It was never referred to or considered a city.
I'm okay with "suburb", "suburban city" or "large town". And I stand by this having visited and stayed in both San Jose and Santa Clara twice within this year.

Quote:
Oakland is actually more of a city than San Jose.
Fact.

Quote:
When going out to hangout or party with friends, we would meet somewhere in The City (SF) or in Downtown Oakland. But if we decide to go out in San Jose, we would go to the mall - Valley Fair/Santana Row.
This ^ is 100% on par with my Bay Area experience with regards to each of the three places you mentioned.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2020, 8:31 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
That has nothing to do with the quality of SJ's downtown, though. The best urban neighborhoods worldwide don't have particularly tall buildings. Even in Manhattan, the best, most vibrant neighborhoods tend to be midrise.

SJ has a weak downtown because's it's essentially a giant postwar Sunbelt suburb, and the SV corporate behemoths are located elsewhere. If Facebook, Apple and Google were downtown, yeah, things would be more vibrant.
Downtown SJ is essentially an overgrown office park. New Haven, CT is arguably more urban.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2020, 8:35 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
So what? Cities are not static. It might have sprung up because of nearby SF and served as an exurb for decades but it is evolving into something different and a city in its own right.
Same could be said for Bellevue, WA, Plano, TX, Tysons Corner, VA and many other large suburbs (like San Jose). Your point?

Old Posted Jun 2, 2020, 2:11 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYNYC View Post
Same could be said for Bellevue, WA, Plano, TX, Tysons Corner, VA and many other large suburbs (like San Jose). Your point?
My point was pretty clear.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2020, 6:08 PM

I have a question about Mesa. I know it's a very large suburb with nearly 500,000 people but could it be a stand alone city or is it totally dependent on Phoenix?

Old Posted Jun 2, 2020, 6:52 PM
E pluribus unum

Totally dependent on Phoenix. If not for the sprawl in the East Valley, it wouldn't be what it is today.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2020, 7:06 PM
Never Dell

Population size means they annexed a lot of land. It has nothing to do with its role as a center or not.

SJ's core is a secondary SF-area center like Oakland's core. That would be true even if there was no incorporated City of SJ.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2020, 7:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
Population size means they annexed a lot of land. It has nothing to do with its role as a center or not.

SJ's core is a secondary SF-area center like Oakland's core. That would be true even if there was no incorporated City of SJ.
I've heard someone say that San Francisco and Oakland feed off of each other and operate like siblings and San Jose is more like a cousin. Would you agree with that analogy?

Old Posted Jun 3, 2020, 2:18 AM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
Newark is almost like another borough of New York City.
So if Hudson County is the de facto 6th borough, would that make Newark the 7th?

Old Posted Jun 3, 2020, 3:06 AM

I thought Yonkers was the 6th borough? I digress.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2020, 3:13 AM
An Optimistic Realist

Nah, it’s Philly or Miami. NYC has a lot extra boroughs. The transplants establish boroughs wherever they migrate to

Old Posted Jun 3, 2020, 3:20 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigs View Post
Agreed on all points. The Stanfords moved from Sacramento to a mansion on San Francisco's Nob Hill; when their son died young, they founded Stanford in his memory on land they purchased south of SF; the land was called (and sometimes still is) "the farm," which they also used as a weekend home; and the role Stanford played in creating today's Silicon Valley was important, but there were other critical players, without which the area wouldn't be what it is today.
on the last point, read ‘when wizards stay up late,’ by hafner & lyon for more on the topic. its a wonderful, breezy, can’t put it down history of computing. highest recommendation.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2020, 3:23 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
So if Hudson County is the de facto 6th borough, would that make Newark the 7th?

no, the 7th is broward.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2020, 2:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post

Pretty much. NYC + Hudson County + Newark/Elizabeth probably covers 90% of the contiguous urban core of the New York region. If you add the eastern parts of Passaic County (Paterson, Passaic, etc.), which looks almost indistinguishable from Brooklyn and Queens, you might get to 95%. But unlike Hudson County and Newark/Elizabeth, Passaic isn't connected to NYC by a subway.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2020, 4:41 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYNYC View Post
Thanks for the lengthy tutorial and analogy, but I lived in the Bay Area for four years and am far from an "outsider".

Your perspective is what it is, and mine is mine. So be it.
I've lived here my whole life and I consider anyone who stayed here for only four years to still be an outsider.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2020, 10:20 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd3189 View Post
Nah, it’s Philly or Miami. NYC has a lot extra boroughs. The transplants establish boroughs wherever they migrate to
+ LA
+ Charlotte
+ Atlanta
+ Austin

Old Posted Jun 3, 2020, 10:20 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddyricchthagod View Post
I've lived here my whole life and I consider anyone who stayed here for only four years to still be an outsider.
OK, good for you.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2020, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
San Jose is a satellite of San Francisco. Oakland is too, but SF and Oakland should probably be one city right now.
Agreed. Oakland and nearby areas would be what Brooklyn and Queens are to Manhattan.

If you combine SF, Oakland and nearby obvious add on’s, the population would be around 1.8 million people. In contrast, there are areas of San Jose that do not seem to tie in with central areas of the city, i.e.; Evergreen, Alamitos, Cambrian Park etc. San Jose would be closer to 600,000 people.

Same with NY, if you add Hudson county NJ, Newark and others you would have like 9.7 million people.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions