HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jun 17, 2020, 6:47 PM

Hatman, I knew that apartment building would cause a future problem when it was in the planning stages. I'm very surprised they allowed it to be built on an existing train row in a heavy transit neighborhood. How come our city leaders are so short sighted or narrowly focused? We need more big picture thinkers like you in leadership. Hopefully they can tunnel under it, or a partial demolition of the structure. I do like the trenched/below-grade tracks if possible.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2020, 7:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatman View Post
i would like to provide everyone with an update to my rio grande depot plans: http://skyscraperpage.com/forum/show...postcount=8336

Love love love it!

Old Posted Jun 18, 2020, 12:47 AM

I believe Hatman mentioned earlier about potential transit projects being fast-tracked as part of the state's economic recovery plan. Today, the governor released the next version of the plan which includes a little more detail. Below is the relevant section, also posted the report link.

"Transit
We recommend that the state and transit agencies prioritize
projects that will increase throughput in their systems,
improve air quality, and enhance tourism mobility.
Some specific categories of projects to consider include:
• Bus Rapid Transit projects
• Front Runner double tracking in high demand corridors
• Capital facilities that may speed up fleet transition from
mostly diesel to diesel, natural gas, and electric
We further recommend the state monitor the outcomes
of UTA’s FrontRunner Strategic Business Plan process and
evaluate partnership opportunities for investments in Phases
I and IB. "
https://coronavirus-download.utah.go...4.0_061720.pdf

Looks like BRT, alternative fuels, and some Frontrunner double-tracking. My guess is that the UTA Depot District Clean Fuels Tech Center gets fully funded, and we see some Frontrunner double-tracking (would be great if it was the whole thing, but doesn't seem in the cards.

In terms of BRT, which lines are able to start construction in the next 18-24 months (timeline mentioned elsewhere in the report. My understanding is that Ogden BRT construction is already funded and ready to start construction this fall, so it doesn't need funds. From what I understand the Midvalley Connector BRT through Murray, Taylorsville and West Valley has completed the requisite prep work, is that true? South Davis BRT seems ahead as they are rexamining the scope of the line. Is there anything farther along in the works that I'm missing? (I know Utah County cities are looking at something on State Street).

Old Posted Jun 18, 2020, 3:08 AM

There are only 2 BRT routes that aren't funded yet but would be shovel ready in the next 12 months or less.

Davis Country BRT and the Taylorsville/WVC BRT. Of the 2, I would prefer that the Davis County BRT happen first as it does have a higher ridership potential.

As for the Double Tracking of FrontRunner. It mentioned focusing on the high demand corridors. I think this is meaning double tracking station pairs that have decent or above average usage.

I would love it if they used the funds to focus on the more difficult/expensive sections first. This may only get a few stations linked, such as Murray to SL Central and Draper to Lehi. This would make it much easier to upgrade the other sections due to the overall lower costs.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2020, 10:25 AM

I would prefer to see the Taylorsville BRT first as it would hook up to SLCC, but perhaps that's my own personal bias talking because I had to take the bus to SLCC Redwood and it was not a good experience.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2020, 1:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob rulz View Post
I would prefer to see the Taylorsville BRT first as it would hook up to SLCC, but perhaps that's my own personal bias talking because I had to take the bus to SLCC Redwood and it was not a good experience.
I can definitely understand that.

I like the South Davis BRT as a higher priority is that it would go from SL Central, along 4th West to Beck Street/Highway 89, 5th South (Bountiful), Bountiful Main Street, and into Centerville. A second phase would connect the route to the Farmington FrontRunner station.

This would be a major increase in transit for the area and similar to the UVX in Utah County, it could be the push that gets other Davis County cities clamoring for more transit.

I do hope that once the line is built, there would be better connections to the Woods Cross FrontRunner station. That station is in desperate need of a higher density project or 2+ built nearby.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2020, 2:34 PM
Space Magi

Not sure if any of you are voting in the upcoming Republican primary, but if you are and you're interested in our future governor being supportive of transit, Jon Huntsman appears to be your guy:

https://www.sltrib.com/news/2019/11/...-jon-huntsman/
Quote:
One thing I do know, if we get behind on transportation in terms of growth, we’re never going to catch up. You become a Maricopa County. You remember when Phoenix built their rail system, their light rail system when they had reached, I don’t know, maybe 5 million in size. They had just overtaken Philadelphia as the fifth largest city in the country. And the disruption and cost associated with doing something late in the game as opposed to ahead of time was hurtful, I think, to their overall economy and mobility.

So transportation is something that we have to stay on the cutting edge of. We can never fall behind the growth curve as it relates to transportation, which means all options have to be on the table.
I think Wright might also have said something in support of public transit but I don't think it was quite this strong (he also has no chance of winning right now). Cox would probably be a continuation of the status quo and Hughes is probably the last person you'd want in charge on this issue.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2020, 5:11 PM

Thankfully, we are already well ahead of Phoenix when it comes to transit.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2020, 7:59 PM

SLC is doing better than Austin, Texas, which is now the most popular and fastest growing city in the U.S. Austin pales in comparison to Salt Lake City, and Austin's most comparative city, Portland, OR. Portland is a model city when it comes to transportation. Well, unless you drive to work....

Old Posted Jun 18, 2020, 8:29 PM
Space Magi

Oh I agree that we have a great system compared to our peer cities in the US, but I do think it would be great to have state leadership that explicitly supports transit and transit-oriented growth. We definitely don't need a massive $10 billion expansion like Austin.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2020, 3:42 PM

This image has been floating around the Reddits and development threads over the weekend:

... so I can't help myself and I need to share a bit more of my Rio Grande plan!

A main criticism of moving Salt Lake Central Station to the Rio Grande depot is that it would cost too much for moving the station just 1 block. Well, that 1 block makes a HUGE difference.
The incorrect way to measure urban accessibility is to draw a circle with a radius of a 1/4 mile or a 1/2 to show how far away people would walk to and from the station:

Radii for Central Station:

Radii for Rio Grande Depot:

Not much difference, right?

But if we measure a 1/4 mile and a 1/2 mile down the actual routes people will walk, we get a very different result:

Central Station:

Rio Grande depot:

If you were to measure the lines, you would find that the Rio Grande depot's accessibility lines total 40,882 feet of street-fronts within a 1/2 mile, while the current Salt Lake Central station has only 20,663 feet of street-front within a 1/2 mile.
Basically, the Rio Grande depot is TWICE as accessible for pedestrians than the current station, due to 2 important factors: 1) The Rio Grade depot blocks in the current central station on the east, making all of 300 South inaccessible, and 2) The surface railroad tracks and bridges block in the current central station on the west. For the Rio Grande depot, I have assumed a complete removal of the surface railroad tracks, which can be seen in the 'accessible' lines extending all the way to 700 West.

This major difference surprised me, and I'm more certain than ever that SLC must move its train station to the Rio Grande depot if the west side of downtown is to develop well. A Granary District streetcar will cost a lot of money but won't do nearly as much good as moving the train station.
I'd be curious to see what the development people on the main SLC thread think of this analysis.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2020, 4:15 PM
Space Magi

Very interesting, Hatman, but I think you're preaching to the choir here! I'm all in on your plan and I hope folks at the city take this idea seriously in the future because I do think it's an opportunity not unlike the Denver Union Station and LoDo revival. Maybe if Huntsman wins the governorship we can get him to push for something like this at the state level.

Anyone know who locked the development thread? And why? I know there was some animosity last night but it was mostly good discussion happening. Edit: it's no longer locked.

Last edited by Atlas; Jun 22, 2020 at 5:22 PM.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2020, 10:11 PM

I fully support this plan of moving the station to the rio grande depot and moving the tracks below-grade/underground. Your plan is very extensive and very smart. Great work! After all, it is the heart of the entire Metro transit system.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2020, 10:28 PM
Space Magi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old&New View Post
I fully support this plan of moving the station to the rio grande depot and moving the tracks below-grade/underground. Your plan is very extensive and very smart. Great work! After all, it is the heart of the entire Metro transit system.
SLC needs to seize the opportunity to solidify its status as the heart of the system, imo. Salt Lake Central is a joke right now and meanwhile other places in the valley are making bigger plans.

For instance, Murray wants to build this:

https://www.murrayjournal.com/2018/1...entral-station

Old Posted Jul 2, 2020, 2:12 AM

https://youtu.be/LWyWyEAW128

Great explanation and analysis of commuter trains in North America.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2020, 8:53 PM

The APTA ridership numbers are now available for Q1 2020.

https://www.apta.com/wp-content/uplo...rship-APTA.pdf

Because of the virus, the update will focus less on the growth or loss year over year.

The numbers are as follow:

Bus: 69.7K average daily riders in the quarter.
LRT: 49.0K average daily riders in the quarter.
FrontRunner: 16.1K average daily riders in the quarter.
Total: 151.6K average daily riders in the quarter.

Prior to COVID, it looks like our ridership numbers were trending up for all modes:

January
Bus: 1,883.8 in 2020 vs 1,768.5 in 2019 -- 6.5% Increase
LRT: 1,377.4 in 2020 vs 1,383.0 in 2019 -- 0.004% Decrease
FrontRunner: 446.4 in 2020 vs 435.2 in 2019 -- 2.5% Increase

February
Bus: 1,779.7 in 2020 vs 1,638.3 in 2019 -- 8.6% Increase
LRT: 1,352.4 in 2020 vs 1,329.8 in 2019 -- 1.7% Increase
FrontRunner: 410.9 in 2020 vs 401.8 in 2019 -- 2.3% Increase

March
Bus: 1,320.7 in 2020 vs 1,751.8 in 2019 -- 24.6% Decrease
LRT: 924.6 in 2020 vs 1,417.9 in 2019 -- 34.8% Decrease
FrontRunner: 235.5 in 2020 vs 436.2 in 2019 -- 46% Decrease

It is safe to say that prior to COVID, ridership was definitely increasing on the various modes.

Because of how much things have changed, I do wonder how long it will take to return 2019 ridership levels.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2020, 7:15 AM

Cross-post from the main development thread -

My Rio Grande plan is finished! Check it out here:

(PDF Warning!) https://drive.google.com/file/d/10_N...ew?usp=sharing

The next steps will be to find any typos and formatting errors in this document. After that, I've got to decide who to send this to. Then we cross our fingers and hope for the best!

Old Posted Jul 9, 2020, 7:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatman View Post
Cross-post from the main development thread -

My Rio Grande plan is finished! Check it out here:

(PDF Warning!) https://drive.google.com/file/d/10_N...ew?usp=sharing

The next steps will be to find any typos and formatting errors in this document. After that, I've got to decide who to send this to. Then we cross our fingers and hope for the best!
So good!

Old Posted Aug 1, 2020, 5:05 PM

Old Posted Aug 24, 2020, 12:42 AM

This is kind of a rrandom post, but have any of you seen the flying train in Germany? I had no idea it was running around the year 1900. This video was taken in 1902.

https://twistedsifter.com/videos/ger...bIrq4.facebook

That would be futuristically surreal back then. It would be even now.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West