HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jun 4, 2020, 5:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA744PHX View Post
I don't know anything about cranes, whats so special about this? Curious mind here
It basically spins 360 degrees at the top of the tower (I don't know the term for the support pieces) and doesn't swing over the bar's patio.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2020, 9:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro View Post
It's a luffing crane. Most tower cranes are hammerheads which have a fixed jib. Luffing crane have jibs that can move up and down.

Edit: Here's a good video animation of one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QLtA5p_sYM
Got it, I'm still confused why a specific one is needed for the project, but its not important.

Thanks though

Old Posted Jun 12, 2020, 3:42 PM

Driving down McKinley...

So was near downtown last night and decided to drive through all the projects currently under construction and to also take a peak at the Luffing Crane. It was right after sunset so I wasn't able to take pics but just seeing all the cranes, driving in from 7th Ave, is amazing. The view down McKinley coming from 7th Ave is pretty bad ass w/ the Luffing Crane towering in the background as well.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2020, 5:35 PM

The camelback visibility camera is looking pretty sweet now-a-days too!

Old Posted Jun 12, 2020, 8:36 PM

The crane is complete, as seen June 11, 2020

Old Posted Jun 19, 2020, 8:44 PM

Judge rules against downtown Phoenix tax incentive to residential high-rise developer

JFC....the saga continues! I'm sure this will get appealed...

Quote:
A Maricopa County Superior Court Judge ruled the city of Phoenix violated the state’s gift clause when granting a tax incentive to a developer planning a 19-story apartment complex in downtown Phoenix.

The development, called the Derby Roosevelt Row, was proposed by Amstar in 2015, and would cost about $36 million to build, according to court documents. Amstar requested a government property lease excise tax from the city of Phoenix, which would give the city title to the project after construction for a 25-year period, and requested the city abate the GPLET for the first eight years. With the city holding the title, the property is not subject to property taxes.

The proposed development is planned to include 211 “micro-unit” apartments and 4,500 square feet of commercial space at the corner of Second and McKinley streets.

Amstar claimed market rents in Phoenix would not be enough to support the development without “the level of requested assistance from the city of Phoenix.” According to court documents, Amstar needed a 7% return on cost to meet its investment objectives, and without the incentive it would only reach a 6.1% return on cost.

The city was sued by Mat Englehorn, co-owner of Angel’s Trumpet Ale House, and Bramley Paulin over the GPLET case. Englehorn and Paulin were represented by Jon Riches of the Goldwater Institute and Dennis Wilenchik, who litigated the case as a member of the Goldwater Institute’s American Freedom Network.

According to the lawsuit, the incentive over the term of the lease was worth between $20.5 million and $27 million in property that Amstar would not be required to pay. In comparison, the city’s benefit from the project would be $5.8 million.

“The GPLET was intended for seriously distressed properties in dangerous areas,” Riches said. “We’re talking about building luxury micro-units. That was never the intent of the tool.”

Riches said increasing neighboring properties’ values is not a public benefit to justify the incentive and said the additional property taxes are absorbed by neighboring property owners, like Englehorn, who do not have the same benefit.

“Once you take a property like this off the tax rolls, that needs to be made up,” Riches said. “Other developments have a higher tax burden.”

The court agreed, and Judge Christopher Coury wrote in his ruling, “the benefits received by Amstar are grossly disproportionate to the benefits received by the city.”

Riches said the argument these projects would not happen without the incentive also does not hold water, because the nearby Stewart apartment building, which originally was supposed to have a GPLET that was later revoked, still got built.

“If a project like that is not financially viable on its own, that should be a sign,” Riches said.

Amstar can now choose whether to build the project without the incentive, and the city has 30 days to appeal the decision to the Arizona Court of Appeals.

“The city of Phoenix is disappointed in the ruling issued by the Superior Court," a city of Phoenix spokesman said. "We are still reviewing the decision and determining next steps.”

Riches said the court’s decision should put other cities that use GPLET incentives “on notice” the arrangements could violate the state’s constitution, and others could be the subject of legal challenges.

“The takeaway is taxpayer resources have to be put to public use,” Riches said. “I’m glad the court got it right.”
Source: https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...incentive.html

Old Posted Jun 19, 2020, 10:00 PM

*sigh*

Old Posted Jun 20, 2020, 6:07 AM

I guess Mat will finally get his wish, a half-built abandoned unfinished tower. Should be a real boon for his property value.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2020, 8:12 PM

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...er/3238661001/

More or less the same article but with more info on the case. This is getting tiresome...

Went by the project earlier and construction is still in full swing. The first-floor is built and the crane is in use. Unless this is the last few weeks of progress until the final verdict, what are the odds they cease operations and pull out?

Old Posted Jun 25, 2020, 8:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxguy View Post

More or less the same article but with more info on the case. This is getting tiresome...

Went by the project earlier and construction is still in full swing. The first-floor is built and the crane is in use. Unless this is the last few weeks of progress until the final verdict, what are the odds they cease operations and pull out?
IMO, I don't think they would have come this far without a plan B should they get an unfavorable ruling. I don't know what that may be, but I don't see construction stopping.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2020, 9:01 PM
Skyriser

It's funny how Stewart was initially seeking a GPLET, then got the money to proceed without one. I also can't believe Derby would get a loan with a related court case pending. I bet they were just seeking a handout.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2020, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxguy View Post

Guess AZ Central went through their archives to find the old renderings of Derby, but couldn't be bothered to actually check out the Wilder Belshaw website...lazy.

Last edited by azliam; Jun 25, 2020 at 10:55 PM.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2020, 4:20 PM
Modulator

The developers of Derby didn't start construction without knowing there could be a possibility of losing in court. I'm sure they were able to get it to pencil out somehow without a GPLET or they wouldn't have started construction. Same situation as Stewart.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2020, 7:27 PM

Exactly.

No one is going to start something like this without a contingency plan. And of course they will use hyperbolic speech in articles. The building broke ground and will be finished. This isn't Memphis.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2020, 8:39 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
Exactly.

No one is going to start something like this without a contingency plan. And of course they will use hyperbolic speech in articles. The building broke ground and will be finished. This isn't Memphis.
I already knew the answer to this, but just for giggles, I asked someone on site today when I was walking past Derby during lunch. He literally laughed at my question and said "Uh, NO".

So there's their answer. No stopping Derby.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2020, 9:10 PM

Latest from Derby

Old Posted Jul 25, 2020, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Code5 View Post
Latest from Derby

Doesn’t look like much has happened over the last month on this guy...

Old Posted Jul 26, 2020, 1:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymox View Post
Doesn’t look like much has happened over the last month on this guy...
Nope. Very slow going, this one is.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2020, 2:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Code5 View Post
Nope. Very slow going, this one is.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2020, 3:01 PM
Modulator

Seems like you guys say that about every tower getting started in Phoenix. The first few floors are always slow to start.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest