HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Nov 22, 2023, 5:45 PM

November 28 Planning Commission Presentation is online. Only two new items - both of them lame:

1. The latest dumb (and massively scaled down) plan by the Troiani family to get the Market Street buildings demolished - this time, a public bocce court! I think someone had mentioned this before. They helpfully note that the parking attendant for the surrounding lot (which they own) will handle walk-up reservations. I'm really, really getting sick of the bad-faith proposals from a family who are only interested in clearing land which may eventually result in more parking.

2. The historic nomination of Sal's Barber Shop in Brookline - now going to the Planning Commission. I already said my piece on this one when it went to the HRC, so I won't be repetitive.

Also, the December 14 ZBA is online. Nothing really amazing here, but a few minor things of note.

1. An optometrist is moving into a building at the Pittsburgh Technology Center. Small-bore stuff, but things like doctor's offices do make mixed use with residential more feasible on the remaining sites.

2. Sign permits for the new apartment building being constructed in South Side Works. The name for the building seems to be "The Park" which is laughably generic.

3. Reconstruction of the historic marquee at the New Granada Theater. There's a nice rendering here, which is a rarity for ZBA materials.

In other news, it appears the Irish Centre redevelopment project is well and truly dead, with Craft not intending to appeal.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2023, 5:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deja vu View Post
Because it proves that the entire real estate market in Pittsburgh is collapsing. Duh!
I'm unsure why that post has gained so much feedback? There's no pattern to support the claims. Just too much free time for the grumpy minded.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2023, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaTN View Post
I'm unsure why that post has gained so much feedback? There's no pattern to support the claims. Just too much free time for the grumpy minded.
Some of us in fact use the ignore function.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2023, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shantyside View Post
development is a business
No shit.

Quote:
see the development known as century 3 mall which has been condemned and will eventually have to be demolished at a huge cost to the community
What I referenced wasn't about the mall. FFS.

Quote:
am i the only one here who has a degree related to development?
Nope, but thanks for the irrelevant straw man. Again, post your condo listings in a real estate thread.

Oof.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2023, 3:20 AM

IMHO the only time that real estate listings are relevant is when they're new construction - particularly units not yet built/intended to be presold, as often you get better renderings of them than anything through the city commissions (Particularly the smaller townhouse developments).

Old Posted Nov 24, 2023, 1:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Some of us in fact use the ignore function.
I am just a lurker here mostly, I recently had to dig up my old account and finally log in for the first time in years so that I could use ignore function.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2023, 6:44 PM

The December 6 HRC agenda is online. Unlike the past few months, there are actually several projects of note here:

1. The plans to turn Double Wide into "Spork Island." This is mostly of note due to how godawful it is. I knew the plans were for a Caribbean-themed bar/restaurant, but I cannot believe they want to put fake palm trees and a mini-volcano in front. Beyond tacky.

2. Outdoor classrooms at Frick Environmental Center. Not a lot here, but a well-designed project which advances inclusivity of those with disabilities.

3. A full renovation/pretty substantial expansion of Phipps Environmental Center. A reminder this is located in Mellon Park, not near Phipps Conservatory. The plan (from Rothschild Doyno) removes the mid-20th century annexes (though it retains the most recent, from 1983) and adds new glass sections which expand the floor space, while allowing transparency to reveal the original rear facades. Looks as though the expansion will include a central greenhouse courtyard and additional classroom space. A nice little project.

4. Historic nomination of Beth Abraham Cemetery in Carrick. There is not much to say here other than that this is warranted, given the Jewish history of Pittsburgh outside of Squirrel Hill is vanishing.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2023, 2:23 PM
East End Wanderer

The Phipps project looks interesting and great update to a somewhat neglected part of Mellon Park. For a minute I thought this had to do with Phipps' teased project @ Irish Center project near Frick.

And that Spork Island is pretty eccentric, even for the South Side.

With the Boston Market on Baum @ Cypress showing signs of demise, has anyone heard if UPMC is re-starting active development of their cancer hospital?

Old Posted Nov 28, 2023, 5:22 PM
Ex Houstonian

^^
That double wide plan is god awful. Destroys the historic art deco gas station and the development looks like something straight out of the 1970s. Horrible.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2023, 6:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
^^
That double wide plan is god awful. Destroys the historic art deco gas station and the development looks like something straight out of the 1970s. Horrible.
I somehow missed the Easter Island heads when I was first looking at the renderings---probably because my eyes were so drawn to the volcano.

What in the hell are they thinking? This is so culturally tone-deaf that you wouldn't even see it in a theme park these days, for fear of being accused of racism.

Last edited by eschaton; Nov 28, 2023 at 7:14 PM.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2023, 7:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I somehow missed the Easter Island heads when I was first looking at the renderings---probably because my eyes were so drawn to the Volcano.

What in the hell are they thinking? This is so culturally tone-deaf that you wouldn't even see it in a theme park these days, for fear of being accused of racism.
The theme-parky appearance of the design is beyond my comprehension, especially considering that Spork is a higher-end restaurant.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2023, 6:47 AM

Has anyone heard any news on what’s up with the building that was to be built at the YWCA in town? Is that just on hold at the moment?

I’m also wondering what will come out of the old Wholey’s refrigerator building being that it sounds like Meta backed out of its lease? I can’t imagine the engineering brainpower that went into removing the wall behind Lucky’s and they’re still clearing dirt, but they seem to be in no rush to break ground.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2023, 5:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TF15 View Post
Has anyone heard any news on what’s up with the building that was to be built at the YWCA in town? Is that just on hold at the moment?

I’m also wondering what will come out of the old Wholey’s refrigerator building being that it sounds like Meta backed out of its lease? I can’t imagine the engineering brainpower that went into removing the wall behind Lucky’s and they’re still clearing dirt, but they seem to be in no rush to break ground.
I am not sure is there is a construction delay. The City Club Apartments site looks like site work is going on. The interiors are covered in plastic with ventilation hoses peaking out. It appears that asbestos removal is moving forward. The original building was built and designed to accommodate a tower above similar to the Brooks Brother's Building on Sixth and Smithfield.

The Wholey's site will most likely be canceled or delayed if a major tenant is not found.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2023, 8:33 PM

I think the proposal for the Wholey site was canceled. I doubt that we'll see the building that was proposed built there; more likely to see residential for the foreseeable future.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2023, 2:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TF15 View Post

I feel like they've been demolishing that building in the Strip for at least two years now...

Old Posted Nov 30, 2023, 2:23 AM

While we're on the topic of construction updates...I'm really hoping Esplanade in Chateau doesn't get canceled. I've been looking forward to that project more than any in the city for years, and I recall state grant funds being awarded in the spring of 2022, but it doesn't seem like there's been any movement in a while. If I recall correctly, the big lagoon portion of the project has already been nixed.

https://piatt.com/esplanade/

Old Posted Nov 30, 2023, 4:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorDevelopment View Post
While we're on the topic of construction updates...I'm really hoping Esplanade in Chateau doesn't get canceled. I've been looking forward to that project more than any in the city for years, and I recall state grant funds being awarded in the spring of 2022, but it doesn't seem like there's been any movement in a while. If I recall correctly, the big lagoon portion of the project has already been nixed.

Unpopular opinion, but I love that part of Pittsburgh the way it is. I love biking down there through some remaining industrial grit. I love riding past a weird marina and a bare-bones brewery. I also have a dream of opening a riverfront nightclub/cafe/record store in that messed up brutalist building. And we all know there's zero chance of anything creative like that being allowed near a project like the Esplanade.

I wish Pittsburgh would follow the lead of Berlin with some of these areas instead of Downtown Disney. Nobody with money in this town is doing anything unique.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2023, 5:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorDevelopment View Post

Piatt just posted the following update on their instagram page:

Wondering what's happening with our Esplanade project? Right now, we're doing an archaeological survey to make sure there aren't any resources or artifacts of historical significance underground before we dig in to prepare the site for construction!

Old Posted Nov 30, 2023, 6:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronPGH View Post
Unpopular opinion, but I love that part of Pittsburgh the way it is. I love biking down there through some remaining industrial grit. I love riding past a weird marina and a bare-bones brewery. I also have a dream of opening a riverfront nightclub/cafe/record store in that messed up brutalist building. And we all know there's zero chance of anything creative like that being allowed near a project like the Esplanade.

I wish Pittsburgh would follow the lead of Berlin with some of these areas instead of Downtown Disney. Nobody with money in this town is doing anything unique.
I definitely understand your perspective.

Part of the challenge for me is I do think making Chateau into a neighborhood perceived as cool/valuable would help other nearby areas be perceived as cool/valuable, and all that would be good for a variety of public policy reasons.

But cool/valuable can take a lot of forms, and maybe in my ideal world Chateau's path would look different.

But on the third hand, I am not offering up over half of billion to fund an alternative approach.

We have discussions like this in some form all the time. Which is a good thing, I think. Because I think pushing to get the best local bang for the buck is important. But I also think we need to actually get the investments and reinvestments we need to be a healthy, thriving urban area.

So on the fourth hand--maybe there could be better steering of critical public funds, in ways that can help make private investors more comfortable about taking risks, doing things that would be more unique, doing things that would better leverage our existing history and topography and built environment and so on.

But that is a political question, and across multiple levels of government, and it might take a lot of work to get all those levels reoriented in a way that makes a critical difference.

And yet I would like to believe that reorientation will not only be possible, but inevitable . . . . eventually.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2023, 1:45 PM

The real problem with Chateau is it's "hidden," rather than the individual structures. It's nearly impossible to walk into there by design from Manchester, with the only "pedestrian-friendly" intersection at Juniata. It's also nearly impossible to drive there by accident. Several times when I first lived in Pittsburgh I failed to get to the UPS facility until I finally figured out the insane road pattern.

But there are still some lovely older warehouse structures that survive from the pre urban renewal era along Preble Avenue. This one has seen some love recently. This has a ton of potential. So there are bones to work with.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations