HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Feb 22, 2019, 5:05 AM

2/21/2019 Backside of the New Addition to the Moscone Center

I got a good look at the new building today. Nice.

Backside of the New AdditIon to the Moscone Center

Old Posted Feb 22, 2019, 9:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt_climber13 View Post
The Mint is fucking awesome in all its fortressness. Leave it alone!
The mint is historic, but isn't it a "fortress of solitude", since they haven't minted general circulation coins there for over 50 years, except for maybe some commoratives and gold collectables? Correct me if I'm wrong. I seem to recall seeing the last "SF" mint mark in pre 1960 coins. I think there are only two general circulation mints today, in Philadelphia and Denver. New Orleans and Carson City (near the Comstock silver) also used to have a mints, and a maybe few other cities as well.

Last edited by CaliNative; Feb 22, 2019 at 9:24 AM.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2019, 5:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post

Will somebody PLEASE tell the American Repertory Theater to paint their outpost some other color than bright red?
It's American Conservatory Theater. Here is the number for their administrative offices: 415.834.3200. Now YOU can tell them yourself!

Old Posted Feb 23, 2019, 3:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorah View Post
It's American Conservatory Theater. Here is the number for their administrative offices: 415.834.3200. Now YOU can tell them yourself!
Yeah, ACT . . . the red blinds me and makes me crazy.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2019, 3:11 AM

Quote:
Stockton Street strip to reopen Friday as Central Subway nears completion
By Gwendolyn Wu Updated 7:53 pm PST, Thursday, February 21, 2019

Friday’s rush hour is going to get unusually busy on Stockton Street near Union Square as the city reopens two blocks, closed for nearly seven years while construction on the Central Subway slowly grinds its way toward completion.
The city announced Tuesday that the reopening means traffic will finally be free-flowing on Stockton between Geary and Ellis streets, a crucial corridor to the Bay Bridge and Interstate 80 from Chinatown.

Four bus lines will also travel on the new stretch starting Monday: the 8-Bayshore, 8AX-Bayshore A Express, 8BX-Bayshore B Express and 91-T . . . .
https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/...l-13635567.php

Seven years!!

Old Posted Feb 23, 2019, 3:19 AM

PG&E will have it torn up by the end of the weekend

Old Posted Feb 23, 2019, 3:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt_climber13 View Post
PG&E will have it torn up by the end of the weekend
Maybe they'll run out of cash, fire everybody and just turn out the lights before then.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2019, 3:28 AM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Yeah, ACT . . . the red blinds me and makes me crazy.
I think it adds a hot splash of color.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2019, 6:09 PM

Quote:
"The Central Subway will run directly underneath Stockton Street when it opens in January 2020."

Finally.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2019, 7:12 PM

^^And the Van Ness BRT will run directly ON Van Ness when it opens in January 2030. (J/K)

My condo manager informs one and all "They are redoing the road bed/paving, etc. (on the west side of Van Ness between Sutter and Market). It is anticipated that all the work will be done during the daytime hours." Presumably this means they have finally finished the utility work on this segment and can move to the east side for another year or so before they finally start actually working on the BRT infrastructure.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2019, 9:20 PM

Quote:
^^And the Van Ness BRT will run directly ON Van Ness when it opens in January 2030. (J/K)

My condo manager informs one and all "They are redoing the road bed/paving, etc. (on the west side of Van Ness between Sutter and Market). It is anticipated that all the work will be done during the daytime hours." Presumably this means they have finally finished the utility work on this segment and can move to the east side for another year or so before they finally start actually working on the BRT infrastructure.
They still haven’t redone the sidewalks between Turk and Ellis (or laid the pavers on any of the blocks they have poured the concrete for), or any of the corners along this entire stretch. So frustrating to see the lack of progress on a daily basis. You laughed when I suggested they were almost done with the section nearly six months ago, how sadly correct you were.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2019, 6:07 AM

Quote:

I've always felt BART could've done a better job on Van Ness. Is the BRT on Van Ness going to be similar to the BRT on Geary and Mission, or are they going to place the BRT lanes on the middle of the street? I'm hoping the BRT lanes follow that which is on Geary and Mission.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2019, 7:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer34 View Post
I've always felt BART could've done a better job on Van Ness. Is the BRT on Van Ness going to be similar to the BRT on Geary and Mission, or are they going to place the BRT lanes on the middle of the street? I'm hoping the BRT lanes follow that which is on Geary and Mission.
There is no BRT on Geary . . . yet . . . nor on Mission. I know of no plans to put BRT on Mission and doubt the width of the street would permit it. There ARE plans to do on Geary something similar to what's being done now on Van Ness but in the future after all the objections of Geary merchants about loss of parking etc are overcome.

Here are some renderings of the finished Van Ness project:

https://www.google.com/search?rls=en...6skCX_gl6a65M:

BART, of course, is something totally different. BART is wide-guage underground/elevated rail. The Van Ness and ultimately Geary BRT projects are not underground and not rail.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2019, 12:14 AM

A few snaps from a quick jaunt through lower Potrero into Dogpatch.

The big one at 1601 Mariposa, looking South down the paseo:

595 Mariposa looks pretty close to done:

The Saitowitz project touching its southside is prepping for its foundation pour:

UCSF Child & Family Center with some context (2177 3rd in the background on the left and 777 Tennesse on the hill to the right):

777 Tennesee still wearing its veil:

I'm super excited to see how this one fills in and wakes up this zone along 3rd. 2177 3rd on its last floor (or maybe the roof?):

A block down on 20th and 3rd, 2290 3rd is slowly rising:

Crane Cover Park still pushing dirt around, with some(?) but little progress:

UCSF housing from Indiana and about 18th, facing NE, looking about as nice as it can:

And lastly; 2000 Bryant in the Mission, across from Tartine Manufacturey looks completely framed and topped out. Excited to see the brick go up:

Old Posted Feb 26, 2019, 8:19 AM
heavy user of walkability

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyMucho View Post

Crane Cove Park still pushing dirt around, with some(?) but little progress:

just pushing dirt around is more than they've been doing over the last year plus. if it means they've actually started work, that's huge!

Old Posted Feb 26, 2019, 4:04 PM

^^ Wrong thread?

Also, not sure if you guys saw Pixar's new animated short film but here is what they showed San Francisco's skyline to be

Pixar's new short: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZS5cgybKcI

Old Posted Feb 26, 2019, 7:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillynova View Post
^^ Wrong thread?

Also, not sure if you guys saw Pixar's new animated short film but here is what they showed San Francisco's skyline to be

I don’t think you can actually see the Golden Gate Bridge from Bernal Heights Park, but I might have to go up some time and see for myself (not today of course because you probably can’t even see downtown with the weather).

Old Posted Feb 26, 2019, 8:18 PM

Quote:
Fight brews over hotel and housing project near Moscone Center
By Fiona Kelliher – Real estate reporter, San Francisco Business Times
Feb 21, 2019, 5:49pm EST

In San Francisco’s SoMa, an argument over city transparency could threaten to derail a key hotel and housing project.

Across the street from the Moscone Center, the San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency wants to turn a 732-spot garage on public land into a lucrative development. The idea is to help lure more conventions to the expanded Moscone Center, which just underwent a $550 million renovation, and build urgently needed affordable homes.

But SFMTA has made a series of missteps that reveal a lack of transparency in how cities may handle public land, say community advocates, including keeping the development proposals private, not holding public meetings and delaying the selection process. Those criticisms boiled over at a recent SFMTA board meeting and have worked their way up to the district supervisor’s ears . . . .

Tracy Brieger, campaign coordinator at union advocacy group Jobs With Justice San Francisco, said the groups are "calling for a suspension of decision-making in this project until a meaningful and transparent process to include affected communities has been established. This includes holding community forums and having at least one community and labor representative be part of the evaluation panel” . . . .

Here are the developers who have bid for the Moscone Garage site:

- AccorHotels, FORMA Development Design Management, EAH Housing, Essex Property Trust, Tharaa Holding and SB Architects
- Marriott, Mortenson-Clark, HKS Architects, Bridge Housing and Lutheran Social Services
- Portman Holdings and TNDC
- SOMA Yerba Buena Hotel and Chinatown Community Development Center
https://www.bizjournals.com/sanfranc...BUR3oifQ%3D%3D

Old Posted Feb 26, 2019, 9:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillynova View Post
^^ Wrong thread?

reality:

http://www.sanfranciscodays.com/phot...view-north.jpg

Old Posted Feb 26, 2019, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Should we expect anything other than "fights brewing" over the development of any piece of land in this city?

It's pretty unsurprising at this point that neighborhood groups aren't happy unless they're granted some form of illusionary dominance over a project.

Any level-headed person would see a short parking garage directly across the street from the convention center and think that replacing it with a hotel for hundreds of people is perfectly reasonable. Activists, on the other hand, see it as kindling for their rhetoric no matter the rationale.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations