HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted May 26, 2019, 6:40 AM
Never Dell

I can't imagine how it's not ok per my minimal understanding of the US constitution. I also don't know California's constitution, which might be more relevant, but measures like this don't seem far from others in California and other states.

If it's against either constitution, it'll be a lawsuit. Nobody has posted anything on that yet...the silence is deafening on that.

I'm against measures like this in general. When it's expensive to operate an apartment building, or rents are restricted, fewer will get built and rents tend to rise faster. In this case, it seems to not apply very often and might have a moderate affect.

If inflation gets high again, that'll be another story.

Old Posted May 26, 2019, 1:14 PM
Me?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
The only places I've ever seen where appliances are included are apartment complexes. Flats and homes for rent usually require renters to bring their own.
Not here, appliances are included with most places. You can find places, especially complexes, where a W/D is not in the unit but in those cases there are rarely hookups in the unit so you wouldn't be able to bring your own.

Thinking about it this trend may not be too popular here because natural gas seems to still be the majority so hooking/unhooking that constantly could be dangerous.

Old Posted May 26, 2019, 1:35 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

I've never heard of places not including appliances...

Old Posted May 26, 2019, 1:41 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideHBG View Post
Not here, appliances are included with most places. You can find places, especially complexes, where a W/D is not in the unit but in those cases there are rarely hookups in the unit so you wouldn't be able to bring your own.

Thinking about it this trend may not be too popular here because natural gas seems to still be the majority so hooking/unhooking that constantly could be dangerous.
That's true. Re: gas. Those are usually included no matter where you are. Especially from what i remembered up north. Everyplace i lived was gas and had appliances.

Old Posted May 26, 2019, 10:59 PM
An Optimistic Realist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisLA View Post
Okay, where did they get this picture from, it was taken from the top floor of my old condo I used to live in. Stange coincidence, I do miss living so close to the beach.

Looks also like a block in Miami Beach.

Old Posted May 27, 2019, 1:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideHBG View Post
I know that the construction is much newer overall in comparison to this side of the country but don't folks run into the issue of appliances not fitting in the new place? Here it would be a nightmare to do this, as thinking back on all of the places I have rented NONE had the same setup and all required different sized appliances.
No, never. Appliances have been standard-sized for generations. Everything always fits in the spaces meant for them to fit.

My oldest rental property is a 1830s duplex, my newest building from the 1920s, most of my portfolio is multifamily / mixed use with commercial ground level, from the 1870-1900 period, and I've NEVER ran into any issue with any appliance not fitting, in 15 years of being in real estate. (Occasionally, "fitting poorly" is something you'll run into, though. (Due to physical limitations of pre-appliance era construction that no previous landlord found realistic to address.)

Seems pretty clear if there were any (major) issues in the early days of the existence of appliances, which is very possible, then they all got fixed many decades ago. If anything didn't fit, then the older existing counters at that point were slightly redesigned/modified.

Old Posted May 27, 2019, 4:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
No, never. Appliances have been standard-sized for generations. Everything always fits in the spaces meant for them to fit.

My oldest rental property is a 1830s duplex, my newest building from the 1920s, most of my portfolio is multifamily / mixed use with commercial ground level, from the 1870-1900 period, and I've NEVER ran into any issue with any appliance not fitting, in 15 years of being in real estate. (Occasionally, "fitting poorly" is something you'll run into, though. (Due to physical limitations of pre-appliance era construction that no previous landlord found realistic to address.)

Seems pretty clear if there were any (major) issues in the early days of the existence of appliances, which is very possible, then they all got fixed many decades ago. If anything didn't fit, then the older existing counters at that point were slightly redesigned/modified.
I think that the bolded is incorrect. For example many double door refrigerators don't fit in some older homes. Many apartments only fit smaller washers/dryers and not full size. Stoves and ovens come in all kinds of configurations and sizes. Some new places that I've seen even have smaller dishwashers.

My current place is new and unlike most of LA it came with appliances but my previous apartment built in the 50's only fit a mid-size, single door fridge.

Last edited by Easy; May 27, 2019 at 4:48 PM.

Old Posted May 27, 2019, 8:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy View Post
I think that the bolded is incorrect. For example many double door refrigerators don't fit in some older homes. Many apartments only fit smaller washers/dryers and not full size. Stoves and ovens come in all kinds of configurations and sizes. Some new places that I've seen even have smaller dishwashers.
Let me rephrase to address your nitpicking:
(no hard feelings, it was a valid point )

Basically everyone who is a renter in Quebec owns a 100% standard-sized fridge, a 100% standard-sized stove, a 100% standard-sized washer and a 100% standard-sized dryer, because otherwise the idea of ever moving would be a nightmare.

Sure, you're correct that appliances that aren't standard-sized do exist out there, but no one who is a renter would ever consider getting one of those; that's something that has to wait until later in life, when you'll be a homeowner.

Old Posted May 27, 2019, 9:14 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Can the commenters above who have said this is unconstitutional please explain your rationale? What clause exactly in the federal constitution would prohibit this? What existing jurisprudence of the clause you cite would support that rationale?

I'm sorry that you may not LIKE the policy, but not liking something or agreeing with it makes it unconstitutional. You can't just make such a claim and not back it up with EVIDENCE.
SATX: 1435k (+8%) + MSA suburbs: 1124k (+38%) + CSA exurbs: 18k (+11%)
ATX: 962k (+22%) + MSA suburbs: 1322k (+43%)

Old Posted May 27, 2019, 9:57 PM

Quote:
Let me rephrase to address your nitpicking:
(no hard feelings, it was a valid point )

Basically everyone who is a renter in Quebec owns a 100% standard-sized fridge, a 100% standard-sized stove, a 100% standard-sized washer and a 100% standard-sized dryer, because otherwise the idea of ever moving would be a nightmare.

Sure, you're correct that appliances that aren't standard-sized do exist out there, but no one who is a renter would ever consider getting one of those; that's something that has to wait until later in life, when you'll be a homeowner.

There are also plenty of renters who move into appliance furnished apartments.
There are, for convenience's sake, apliances like gas stoves that are permanently installed.

Old Posted May 27, 2019, 11:05 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd3189 View Post
Looks also like a block in Miami Beach.
Good call, it kind of does -- except the temperature is 68 not 88.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2019, 5:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt View Post
It might not be UNCONSTITUTIONAL, but some might call it a CONSTITUTIONAL CRISIS!!! Lol.
Big LOL but is not legal.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2019, 7:49 AM

Quote:
Every renter here owns their own fridge, stove, washer, dryer.

On Moving Day (July 1st of every year), countless numbers of appliances travel from one apartment to another.

I thought that's how everyone did it (on both counts), until I started investing in the US and realized that 1) they can move anytime in the year, and that 2) appliances are part of the properties instead of being tenant furniture.

Now that I'm familiar with both, I can say I greatly prefer the American way. Makes more sense too. (Less needless appliance moving.)
You can only move home on one day each year?

Old Posted Jun 18, 2019, 8:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
From Los Angeles Curbed:

Renters in Long Beach facing steep rent hikes will get a little lifeline.

Tenants who choose to move out when their rent is hiked more than 10 percent will get as much as $4,500 to help with moving expenses under a tenant relocation assistance ordinance finalized and approved on six-to-three vote by the Long Beach City Council on Tuesday night.
This actually seems a looser restriction than rent control ordinances like San Francisco's which simply ban rent increases of more than 2.5% annually (other than when the property is substantially improved and the additional increase as a result of the improvement is approved by the Rent Board). Given the average rent of $3600/month, the difference between 2.5% and 10% is $270/month so Long Beach is allowing the landlord to get an extra $3240/year over what he could get in SF before the penalty kicks in. And if he wants to go even higher, he can but he basically just has to rebate the first year's increase to the tenant.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2019, 8:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy55 View Post
You can only move home on one day each year?
Gosh. Imagine the impact on the moving business: they have crazy demand one day of the year and nothing the rest. I doubt they could stay in business if it's like that.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2019, 8:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy View Post

My current place is new and unlike most of LA it came with appliances but my previous apartment built in the 50's only fit a mid-size, single door fridge.
My house in Arizona won't fit what I consider a "standard sized" (24 cubic feet I think) refrigerator so I had to get a 21 cubic foot model. Those exist in pretty much the full range of styles--the one I got is double door with ice dispenser in the door etc--but for some bizarre reason they cost more than the slightly larger "standard" size. On the other hand, it came with a grand old stove that has both a lower and an upper (eye height) oven which I love. I won't buy a new stove until it totally breaks down because they don't make those kind any more--the closest is the eye height microwave ovens which isn't the same.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions