HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Aug 23, 2019, 2:48 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
You can add layers to protect yourself from the cold, short of going full on thawb which would probably get you shot you can't as easily protect yourself from the heat. You can also warm up much faster than you can cool down.
Sorry, but I have to counter that comment. I can promise you people in the Midwest states can't stand going out in sub-20 degree weather and will try to stay indoors as much as they possibly can. You can dress in as many layers as you want, but it's uncomfortable to wear multiple layers of clothing and it hurts to breath when it's that cold. Sure, you can wear a scarf over your face, but it gets nasty and wet from condensation from your breathing and it's gross. As for warming up faster, once your hands, feet and ears start going numb, it's near impossible to warm them up without a good source of heat and it takes at least a good 20 minutes to get full feeling back in them when you get back indoors. There were times that even my thighs would start losing feeling because pants don't provide much protection from the cold. I endured that crud for 40 years and I will never go back to it. Here, I can cool off in about 5 to 10 minutes after an hour or more of walking, hiking or biking. I walk 2 miles every day for lunch. I start getting hot at about the last 15 minutes of my walk and I just get a little sweaty. Once I get back to work, I sit in front of a fan and I'm good in about 5 minutes.

No one stops life here because of summer heat. People still go outside, they still walk, they still hike, they still bike, kids still play schools sports and parents still go and watch. Sure it's hot, but it's tolerable. Most people without some kind of medical condition would have no problem sitting at a Rising game when it's blazing hot out.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2019, 5:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieFoos View Post
Sorry, but I have to counter that comment. I can promise you people in the Midwest states can't stand going out in sub-20 degree weather and will try to stay indoors as much as they possibly can. You can dress in as many layers as you want, but it's uncomfortable to wear multiple layers of clothing and it hurts to breath when it's that cold. Sure, you can wear a scarf over your face, but it gets nasty and wet from condensation from your breathing and it's gross. As for warming up faster, once your hands, feet and ears start going numb, it's near impossible to warm them up without a good source of heat and it takes at least a good 20 minutes to get full feeling back in them when you get back indoors. There were times that even my thighs would start losing feeling because pants don't provide much protection from the cold. I endured that crud for 40 years and I will never go back to it. Here, I can cool off in about 5 to 10 minutes after an hour or more of walking, hiking or biking. I walk 2 miles every day for lunch. I start getting hot at about the last 15 minutes of my walk and I just get a little sweaty. Once I get back to work, I sit in front of a fan and I'm good in about 5 minutes.

No one stops life here because of summer heat. People still go outside, they still walk, they still hike, they still bike, kids still play schools sports and parents still go and watch. Sure it's hot, but it's tolerable. Most people without some kind of medical condition would have no problem sitting at a Rising game when it's blazing hot out.
Weather tolerance is obviously subjective, but my experience is more similar to yours. I don't mind being hot and sweating. I still get out and walk at lunch throughout the summer. And when I was in Chicago, there was definitely a point at which it didn't matter what I wore, it just sucked.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2019, 5:53 PM

It IS subjective

Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post
Weather tolerance is obviously subjective, but my experience is more similar to yours. I don't mind being hot and sweating. I still get out and walk at lunch throughout the summer. And when I was in Chicago, there was definitely a point at which it didn't matter what I wore, it just sucked.
Lived in the coldest damn place in the Midwest for a decade (Fargo), and am an Arizonan, born and bred, and I prefer the cold to the heat generally.

I hatehatehate driving and walking on ice, but the ephemerality of the heat drives me absolutely bonkers. You can't really see it (no snow, ice, etc.), but it sure can kill you.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2019, 10:01 PM
Skyriser

To each their own.

I never adapted to Phoenix's heat. I would get crabby at 90 or above in Phoenix, and I was exhausted putting groceries in my truck on a not-particularly hot day and promised myself that would be my last summer and fortunately it was. I returned to Phoenix for a bit outside the holidays in May of 2017 and didn't want to be outside at all.

I don't need a jacket in SF unless I'm going to be sitting outside for a long time, sometimes I find it too muggy if I'm climbing a hill or whatever. I've discovered I thrive in the snow.

But then again my great-grandma was born just south of the arctic circle amongst other wintery ancestors.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2019, 10:47 PM
Modulator

Quote:
To each their own.

I never adapted to Phoenix's heat. I would get crabby at 90 or above in Phoenix, and I was exhausted putting groceries in my truck on a not-particularly hot day and promised myself that would be my last summer and fortunately it was. I returned to Phoenix for a bit outside the holidays in May of 2017 and didn't want to be outside at all.

I don't need a jacket in SF unless I'm going to be sitting outside for a long time, sometimes I find it too muggy if I'm climbing a hill or whatever. I've discovered I thrive in the snow.

But then again my great-grandma was born just south of the arctic circle amongst other wintery ancestors.
SF is not very cold, just chilly. I'm comparing Phoenix to states with 3 or 4 months of sub-freezing temps. You might think differently living in Michigan or Wisconsin

Old Posted Aug 23, 2019, 11:09 PM

Quote:
To each their own.

I never adapted to Phoenix's heat. I would get crabby at 90 or above in Phoenix, and I was exhausted putting groceries in my truck
Obesity is a major public health concern

Old Posted Aug 24, 2019, 11:39 PM
Skyriser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
Obesity is a major public health concern
Insulting the moderator is not a good idea. I was 6 foot and 150 pounds then btw.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2019, 1:10 AM
BANNED

Quote:
To each their own.

How many years did you live in Phoenix?

I've been contemplating a move back to THE VALLEY -- [I hate that term, it's outdated and overruled by the real The Valley in Los Angeles.]

Old Posted Aug 25, 2019, 7:48 AM

Quote:
Insulting the moderator is not a good idea. I was 6 foot and 150 pounds then btw.
How did I insult the moderator I stated an absolute fact.

Reeks of insecurity and an abuse of power mr moderator

Old Posted Aug 25, 2019, 12:48 PM

Quote:

Obadno, you're bringing out the bad in Obadno. In any case, no need to make snarky assumptions about others and you know it was. Time for everyone to decompress. I'm not sure how or why that escalated, but today's a new day to focus on development.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2019, 4:42 PM
High Voltage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt View Post

I've been contemplating a move back to THE VALLEY -- [I hate that term, it's outdated and overruled by the real The Valley in Los Angeles.]
Likewise, I hate the term. It seems so nondescript, as if Phoenix doesn't have a real name. I prefer Metropolitan Phoenix, or the metro area as better terms. I know, I know, The Valley is a moniker that has stuck. Still don't have to like it.

However, what I really dislike is when people refer to Phoenix or the metropolitan area as simply Arizona, making it sound as if it were the whole state. It's really a pet peeve. Sure it's in Arizona true, but there are many other parts of the state that aren't even remotely related to Phoenix. For example, if I were to visit Boston specifically and nowhere else in the state, I wouldn't say, "I went to Massachusetts." I would say, "I went to Boston." I hear so many people refer to Phoenix as simply "Arizona", when all they did was visit Phoenix.

/End rant...lol I'm really off topic. I feel better though.

Last edited by TAZ4ate0; Aug 25, 2019 at 7:03 PM.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2019, 2:37 AM
Skyriser

Quote:

Might I remind you that personal attacks are forbidden on this forum whether it's against a moderator or not.

You called me obese and rather than admit you're wrong or apologize you insult me again.

But if you want to talk about insecurity, you're inserting yourself into discussions where your opinion does not apply and now you're being more than unpleasant.

I'm assuming that's because your rightwing brain can't calculate that AZ doesn't work out for people and I, as well as millions of others are happier in California.

The facts of the matter overrule your bogus opinion of things, however.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2019, 3:00 AM

Quote:
Might I remind you that personal attacks are forbidden on this forum whether it's against a moderator or not.

You called me obese and rather than admit you're wrong or apologize you insult me again.

But if you want to talk about insecurity, you're inserting yourself into discussions where your opinion does not apply and now you're being more than unpleasant.

I'm assuming that's because your rightwing brain can't calculate that AZ doesn't work out for people and I, as well as millions of others are happier in California.

WTF act like a damn moderator. You could’ve easily stopped after the first 2 sentences. California fucking sucks, get over it when people don’t agree. Perhaps you shouldn’t have bashed AZ in the first place. Why even bring politics into this?

Old Posted Aug 26, 2019, 3:53 AM

Quote:

Good lord...

Old Posted Aug 26, 2019, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
WTF act like a damn moderator. You could’ve easily stopped after the first 2 sentences. California fucking sucks, get over it when people don’t agree. Perhaps you shouldn’t have bashed AZ in the first place. Why even bring politics into this?
Yeah, I have to agree with this. His response was childish.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2019, 1:25 PM

California is great if you like it. Same can be said for Phoenix as well. Who cares if you have different opinions?

Old Posted Aug 26, 2019, 3:48 PM

"Why can't we be friends, why can't we be friends?"

Old Posted Aug 26, 2019, 5:04 PM

Disagreement

In a democracy there is nothing wrong with disagreement, what is important is how we disagree. We have forgotten how to disagree especially on university campuses where we prohibit speakers and have 'safe rooms' which ironically is the antithesis of what the word university means. Our Universities are suppose to be places to share and discuss varying points of view.
As far as this forum is concerned this shouldn't be some snowflake campus setting. When you disagree please do so with integrity and respect for the other persons point of view.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2019, 5:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt View Post
It's not my favorite... but can you elaborate on how it's overruled by "the real The Valley in Los Angeles"?

There are more than 1 valleys in the country, and i believe Phoenix is nicknamed and shortened to "The Valley", because it really is a big valley and because of the moniker "The Valley of the Sun". Not to copy the one in Los Angeles.

There are plenty of places people call things that are copying Los Angeles though. The one I hate the most is the Melrose District, or just Melrose, on 7th Ave between Indian School and Camelback. It's a nice, funky, even old and fairly established little area, but it is no where near as huge, established, and old as Melrose Ave in LA. I'm not sure how long it's been called Melrose in Phoenix, but I have to believe it originated from Melrose in Los Angeles.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2019, 5:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZ4ate0 View Post
However, what I really dislike is when people refer to Phoenix or the metropolitan area as simply Arizona, making it sound as if it were the whole state. It's really a pet peeve. Sure it's in Arizona true, but there are many other parts of the state that aren't even remotely related to Phoenix. For example, if I were to visit Boston specifically and nowhere else in the state, I wouldn't say, "I went to Massachusetts." I would say, "I went to Boston." I hear so many people refer to Phoenix as simply "Arizona", when all they did was visit Phoenix.

/End rant...lol I'm really off topic. I feel better though.
This. Whenever my wife's friends visit from California, they all refer to coming to Arizona, love Arizona beer (when they are drinking Four Peaks or San Tan), or just refer to Phoenix overall as Arizona. Irks the shit out of me lol

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest