HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Sports & Outdoor Recreation

Old Posted Feb 24, 2020, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowhou View Post
And if we decide to fast track projects, the people in charge might have to cut costs. I'm not necessarily saying that the hard deadlines caused the current Canada Line situation, but a similar hard deadline might cause another situation.
Cutting costs=/=building faster necessarily.

A Surrey Stadium would never happen unless it is the Summer Olympics.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2020, 2:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svlt View Post
This might be the catalyst to push our large scale transportation infrastructure investments (UBC line, Surrey-Langley lines) to be completed this decade. For those reasons I'd be onboard if we could use most of the existing facilities that we had built for the 2010 games.
But the province and feds fast-tracked the RAV SkyTrain because it was a connection to YVR, ergo related to the Games. Same reason Harper and friends insisted that it be called the Canada Line.

Not sure how you could argue the same for UBC or Langley - unless we're planning to use Thunderbird Stadium?

Old Posted Feb 25, 2020, 3:47 AM

Fuck that noise.

Every time Vancouver's Booster Class "invites the world" it makes life more unaffordable for ordinary residents. Forget the Bread & Circuses and focus on governing.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2020, 5:05 AM

I'm sure they'd find an Olympic Village site somewhere.

UBC would actually be good, tie it into student housing.

RE: surrey

Are there any sites in the valley or mountains to the east for alpine mountain events?

Old Posted Feb 25, 2020, 5:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetsuo View Post
I'm sure they'd find an Olympic Village site somewhere.

UBC would actually be good, tie it into student housing.

RE: surrey

Are there any sites in the valley or mountains to the east for alpine mountain events?
I mean, there's Hemlock Valley and maybe Burke, but...why?

Old Posted Feb 25, 2020, 6:01 AM

They should give the Olympic bid to Winnipeg.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2020, 7:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisito View Post
They should give the Olympic bid to Winnipeg.
Sure I can support that idea and or any other city in Canada that is not Vancouver/Toronto/Montreal. Let's give some exposure to a few lesser-known cities that could use an actual boost. Many people have said we lack cities for growth and the only way we are going to create more cities for growth is to hold events at lesser-known places that can truly benefit from these big events. I am so tired of the same song and dance to bring these events to the same old places again and again. Let's spend what money we do have in the city of Vancouver fixing the issues we have...

Old Posted Feb 25, 2020, 8:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Fuck that noise.

Every time Vancouver's Booster Class "invites the world" it makes life more unaffordable for ordinary residents. Forget the Bread & Circuses and focus on governing.
What's the evidence for that? Would Vancouver be anymore affordable if we didn't host the Olympics?

Old Posted Feb 25, 2020, 6:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
Sure I can support that idea and or any other city in Canada that is not Vancouver/Toronto/Montreal. Let's give some exposure to a few lesser-known cities that could use an actual boost. Many people have said we lack cities for growth and the only way we are going to create more cities for growth is to hold events at lesser-known places that can truly benefit from these big events. I am so tired of the same song and dance to bring these events to the same old places again and again. Let's spend what money we do have in the city of Vancouver fixing the issues we have...
But it’d be more risky in terms of sending more money down the drain.

If you goal is economic development in disadvantaged areas, Winter Olympics Halifax is a better fit. Plus, the city makes more sense for tourism.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2020, 7:32 PM

The Plaza of Nations project would make a good Olympic Village.
There's also the practice rink built in as well.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2020, 7:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
The Plaza of Nations project would make a good Olympic Village.
There's also the practice rink built in as well.
It would be a huge financial risk that no developer in their right mind will ever attempt again. The developer of The Plaza of Nations is planning to build in three or maybe four phases. If they had to build 1,000+ units in one hit they could end up bankrupt just as Millennium did on the previous Olympic Village. The only logical way to ever build a new Olympic Village would involve a future rental project.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Sports & Outdoor Recreation