HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Food & Dining

Old Posted Jul 10, 2010, 10:58 PM

City Hall's street vendor picks get thumbs down from foodies
10 Jul 2010

Post by Mike Klassen in Editorial

According to foodies, City Hall picked some real lemons in their food cart trial

The food cart issue brought about by Vancouver city council struck me as a goldmine of populist politics. Who doesn't like food, right? There were some initial concerns raised by the DVBIA, who rightly pointed out that it would be grossly unfair to position the carts in the vicinity of already rent and property tax burdened retail restaurants. For the most part, however, the suggestion by Charles Gauthier to model the program after Portland's successful street food cart system was ignored.

For average folks who just want some good eats, they don't worry that much about how economically viable a sushi or wraps restaurant is. The City pulled out the bugles to announce their list of food cart selections whittled down from a massive 800 applications. How did they do it? Did they conduct a cook-off, a Canadian Idol of sorts as myself and Frances Bula proposed on last week's civic affairs panel?

No. What City staff did was throw a dart, and if your name got hit you were it. By using a lottery to pick who got the cart locations rather than on inventiveness or merit, there are a LOT of foodies around town who are miffed. Foodie columnist Andrew Morrison of the excellent Scout Magazine sums up what many are thinking in this great post:

"While I’m glad the city recognized that they were unqualified to choose which food businesses would suit our streets best (their track record on this is pretty bad), they could have just asked around, perhaps even called in a couple of independent consultants who knew a thing or two about food. Better yet, they could have actually interviewed the applicants to discern whether or not they were serious. I certainly would have advised them to the best of my ability for free, as would (I’m sure) other local food writers, chefs’ associations and so on…but no. In an effort to be democratic (which can be interpreted as ‘blameless’), they basically drew names from a bingo barrel as if the vendors would be selling scarves, toques and glow sticks. This, according to Grant Woff, acting manager of street administration, was “the fairest method as everyone was given the same odds”.

Big mistake."

http://www.citycaucus.com/

Not that I would support this....a lack of regulation and the free market will wean out those carts of less calibre.

Last edited by mr.x; Jul 10, 2010 at 11:14 PM.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2010, 4:59 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbertram View Post
I wonder if some of the 'business plans' were to get a location & open a humdrum stand that doesn't stay open for very long, and then sub-let the space to a different vendor that is popular (more JapaDogs?) who didn't get a location & who will pay a higher sub-lease price for the space.
This is sort of what I;m getting at. Let's face it, anyone could have applied. Just like any business, you need a firm plan, funds and inventiveness, otherwise, one is doomed to failure.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2010, 5:07 PM

you could say that about about a real restaurant too. the city issues a permit to serve and operate a business based on sound models. that obviously doesn't always happen. but like the restaurant business, customer receipts will drive who succeeds. the city can't be the ones to determine what's good food and what's bad. they don't do it now. only customers can.

IE: a lemonade stand isn't going to succeed in the winter. who thought of that one? once there's some turnover i'm sure we'll see some exciting carts but it might take some time. our restaurant scene was not born overnight.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2010, 12:17 AM
BANNED

Not all street vendors ready to go........................

Claudia Kurzac, acting manager for health protection, doesn’t expect all 17 new food vendors to be operational by July 31, as per the city’s goal. “It sounds like some went into the lottery without even a business plan and don’t even have an actual trailer or cart and would have to manufacture that first, never mind even find a base of operation,” Kurzac said.

Can't say that I'm surprised at this one:

http://scoutmagazine.ca/2010/07/20/s...dy-to-operate/

from scout magazine

Old Posted Jul 21, 2010, 2:23 AM

gotta love this city - how it survives i don't know - stupid lets just give anyone who applies a chance without researching their bids

Old Posted Jul 21, 2010, 6:50 PM
Vancouver User

Well hopefully the city follows through on their 'threat' to pass the initial rights on to other lottery participants that ARE ready-to-go!

Old Posted Jul 31, 2010, 12:55 AM

Time crunch puts the brakes to Vancouver's new street vendors

Program delayed as carts, trailers still being built

By Lena Sin, The Province July 30, 2010 5:42 PM

Extra staff have been hired, the crew is working overtime.

But no matter how fast he goes, Norm Kerfoot says he simply won’t be able to deliver the food carts and trailers by Saturday for Vancouver’s widely-anticipated new street food program.

“We’ve been extremely busy. I mean, we’re normally fairly busy anyways, a lot of our stuff goes to the States and overseas, but with this whole Vancouver thing, it’s really blown it all apart,” says Kerfoot.

Kerfoot is the owner of Apollo Carts in Surrey and has been inundated with business since Vancouver announced the winners of its expanded street food program three weeks ago.

Ten of the 17 street vendors have ordered carts and trailers from his company, creating a backlog of work.

That means of the 17 winners, only two are able to meet the city’s deadline of operating by July 31.

And of those two, one was not even a chosen winner but rather has paid someone for their spot and the other won’t be operating on Saturday due to family commitments.

Many believe the lacklustre showing speaks to city hall’s unrealistic deadlines and a poorly organized pilot program.

Kerfoot, whose company has made carts for the city’s famous Japadog vendor, says it normally takes between three to eight weeks to create a custom food cart or trailer.

“Unfortunately, [three] weeks from the time they find out they’ve got their spot to get everything together and manufactured, it just can’t be done,” says Kerfoot.

Apollo Carts has been in business for 15 years and is one of only two or three companies in B.C. that builds food carts, he says. Prices range from $10,000 for a basic cart to upwards of $30,000 for a trailer.

Kerfoot anticipates two carts will be ready by next week, another two the following week and others toward the end of August.

The pilot project is intended to usher in an era of gourmet and healthy street food after archaic guidelines restricted vendors to selling just hotdogs and chestnuts for decades.

The city received 800 applications for the pilot and picked the winners by lottery. Critics said the city should have screened applicants by looking at their readiness, business plan and menu to ensure a degree of quality and to meet the tight deadline.

Derek Ip, of Richmond, said he started working on his van before he even found out he was one of the lucky 17 winners. But even he won’t be able to meet the July 31 deadline and has applied to the city for an extension.

“Hopefully we’ll be open within a week. Our van is coming along nicely, it’s just the finishing touches now,” says Ip, who will be located at Drake and Pacific Boulevard.

Ip is outfitting a yellow school bus with a kitchen and will be making freshly-baked croissants. Named Panda Fresh Bakery, he has been getting help from Richmond street food vendor Kan Ogata, and says his baked goods will have a Japanese influence.

Jason Apple and business partner Jory Simkin are currently the only ready vendors on the street.

Their Roaming Dragon food truck, parked by Kits beach, offers tantalizing Asian dishes such as karaage (Japanese deep fried chicken) and duck confit salad and has so far been a hit.

“We’ve had neighbours that have literally eaten every night since we opened [a week ago,]” says Apple.

Apple approached winner David Duprey to use his spot temporarily. It was a win-win situation given Duprey wanted more time to set up and the Roaming Dragon truck was ready to operate. The two parties are now talking about sharing the location by operating at different times.

Read more: http://www.theprovince.com/news/vanc...#ixzz0vDWF9fpP

Old Posted Jul 31, 2010, 2:38 AM
BANNED

to be expected really. The start up times by the city were very optimistic.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2010, 2:40 AM

yeah but a lot were ready and prepared - like the roaming dragon who didn't win in the lottery for a spot - at least they were able to work out a deal with someone and their spot

Old Posted Aug 3, 2010, 3:45 PM
BANNED

Last edited by delboy; Aug 3, 2010 at 3:58 PM.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2010, 4:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delboy View Post
to be expected really. The start up times by the city were very optimistic.
I'm surprised that there was no process in place to ensure that the vendors picked were ready to go. I wonder how many vendors who were prepared and could have opened on time were passed over as a result of the City's failure to put such a process in place. Seems pretty basic.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2010, 5:25 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanS View Post
I'm surprised that there was no process in place to ensure that the vendors picked were ready to go. I wonder how many vendors who were prepared and could have opened on time were passed over as a result of the City's failure to put such a process in place. Seems pretty basic.
it seems that many applied on the basis that they could sell their licences. the good news is that the bylaws have changed and 18 months down the road, we may well have a better street food scene. Time will tell

Last edited by delboy; Aug 3, 2010 at 10:07 PM.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2010, 6:09 PM

Yet another article on the Vancouver food carts:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle1658188/

"The girlfriend of a businessman with no experience in the food industry won the right to the location. The businessman was prepared to hand over the space to the crepe vendor for a fee, but Mr. Bernaudin decided the price was too high. “He was too greedy,” Mr. Bernaudin said in an interview."

Should we be surprised to read that a 'business plan' was to get any location & rent it out to someone with a cart who didn't win the lottery? No surprise to me since there were 800 people vying for 17 spots, and there was no pre-qualification that you needed to have a cart and be able to cook.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2010, 12:46 AM
Blazed Member - Citygater

what a joke this has turned out to be......

"orange vested guy" - towerguy3

Old Posted Aug 4, 2010, 1:29 AM

I don't know how anybody thought this would be a GOOD idea. Results are as expected.

Speaks volumes of the people who run the show. They can't even set up street food properly.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2010, 1:58 AM

On another note, how the hell did two white yuppies decide to start a "Roaming Dragon" Asian food cart in Kits??

http://www.vancouversun.com/life/Van...212/story.html

Old Posted Aug 9, 2010, 9:53 PM

Old Posted Aug 22, 2010, 1:06 AM

Hitting the streets

By Shelley Fralic, Vancouver Sun August 18, 2010

Michael Kaisaris offers BBQ sandwich created in his Re-Up BBQ food cart, which is available by Vancouver Art Gallery.
Photograph by: Wayne Leidenfrost, PNG

Let’s get the obvious out of the way: the Vancouver food-cart experiment has fallen a little flat, a victim of an overzealous rush job that relied on selection by lottery and the mistaken assumption that the chosen few would be ready to roll by the July 31 kickoff date.

Two weeks in, and only four of the 17 newly licensed carts are serving up their curbside nosh on city streets, with two more expected to be open for business this week.

So we understand those who are critical of the folks down at 12th and Cambie, though that vitriol might best directed at more important issues, like those ill-advised bike lanes, which are far more dangerous and inconvenient than being able to buy a divine slice of thin-crust prosciutto and funghi pizza from a truck parked at Burrard and Pender.

Besides, had city hall dithered even more, and made sure everything was perfectly in order for a summer 2011 launch, which was Plan B, we would have had to wait a whole year to tuck into one of Michael Kaisaris’s pulled-pork barbecue sandwiches.

And that, fellow foodies, would be a cryin’ shame.

It’s early Monday morning, and 28-year-old Kaisaris and his partners — girlfriend Lindsay Ferguson and barbecue cook-off master Chester Carey — are prepping for the day, working out of their commissary, which is the kitchen of the Irish Heather in Gastown.

Carey, who competes in West Coast barbecue competitions, has been up all night smoking 55 kilograms of pork butt. There is homemade sauce to whip up, and five kilograms of coleslaw to make, and special dressing for that, and a trip to the Calabria Bakery for fresh buns, and the brewing of a big urn of iced tea.

Because in just a few short hours, they’ll be lifting the walk-up window of their tiny shiny food cart, The Re-Up BBQ, sitting just off the curb beside the Olympic countdown clock at the Vancouver art gallery, and filling orders for their specialty, the only thing besides a few cold drinks that they offer: a barbecue pulled-pork sandwich.

It was just a few months ago that the three friends, mulling Carey’s lament that there was no money in barbecue contests, pondered the viability of starting a barbecue catering business.

And then the city hall food cart lottery came up, and Kaisaris submitted an application and, on Aug. 9, started selling their sandwiches, fat handfuls of tender pulled pork slathered with barbecue sauce and topped with crunchy coleslaw, all wrapped up in a big soft bun, a messy delectable $6-plus-tax meal in a little paper bag.

But first they had to find a cart, and research showed there were waiting lists at the cart suppliers, local and south of the border.

So Kaisaris, who studied English literature at SFU and has culinary training, started cruising the Internet and found one in Squamish that had been used to sell hotdogs.

It cost $17,000, and they had to buy a truck to haul it, but it was perfect, if a little small.

Impossibly small, really, a mere four by nine by eight feet, rather like a silver phone booth, but big enough to house two propane-powered warming trays, one large propane griddle and a hybrid fridge. It has a 40-litre water capacity and room for Michael and his jugs of sweet tea, and that’s about it.

The partners have invested more than $30,000 to date, including the cost of city and health permits, but say business is good, on their best day pumping out 70 or so orders. They not only intend to stay open, Mondays to Fridays from about noon to 6 p.m., but they’re committed to pulling pork through next spring, when their renewable city licence expires.

As food carts take big cities such as Portland, Los Angeles and New York by storm, they have become the new underground magical mystery tour, their menus and hours often changing. Some are open rain or shine, some weekdays only, and most rely to a large degree on word of mouth and the new media to spread the word.

The Re-Up is no different, promising barbecue chicken and ribs in the near future, but you’ll have to follow them on Twitter for updates, teases Kaisaris.

Meantime, don’t be asking for their tasty barbecue sauce recipe. All Kaisaris will divulge is that it is a tomato base infused with chocolate and chipotle and other “secret” ingredients.

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/entertai...#ixzz0xICXBRZ0

Old Posted Aug 23, 2010, 9:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yume-sama View Post
On another note, how the hell did two white yuppies decide to start a "Roaming Dragon" Asian food cart in Kits??
http://www.vancouversun.com/life/Van...212/story.html
I do realize that it's not very authentic in a way due to the poor cultural representation. On a side note, they've set up shop at the PNE now.

Last edited by Millennium2002; Aug 23, 2010 at 9:49 AM.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2010, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan_kuan View Post
I do realize that it's not very authentic in a way due to the poor cultural representation. On a side note, they've set up shop at the PNE now.
I am a little curious about this. Places like this Roaming Dragon food cart, places like that chain that seems to be around Wok Box, and the recent news about a new 'traditional Chinese restaurant that serves sweet and sour pork Peking duck fried noodles in a modern setting' Chinois -- are these kind of places that fit Vancouver? With one third the population Chinese and a relatively educated general population of what good authentic Asian food is, I am wondering if these guys have the right idea.

How are places like Wild Rice and Bao Bei doing? Where would they fit in terms of authenticity vs popularity?

Sorry to be offtopic re: street food.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Food & Dining