HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > 2010 Olympic Winter Games [Archive]

Old Posted Aug 4, 2009, 4:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
If only Canada were not seen as baby seal killers
You mean that's something 99.8% of the population doesn't take part in?

Well, way to ruin my Winter plans! I was gonna set up traps in Stanley Park!

Old Posted Aug 4, 2009, 4:13 AM

haha

I was being factecious - never know how to spell that word

I just don't equate Olympic Games and people immigrating to Vancouver because someone is figure skating or skiing on TV

most people turn to the TV down or don't even watch it when they do the "human interest" stories about the region

Old Posted Aug 4, 2009, 5:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedy13 View Post
Perhaps another thing to consider is the Canada-EU free trade negotiations. If an agreement were reached within the next few years, Vancouver's Olympic exposure could help it to attract much more European investment than it would otherwise.
Right now its much more likely that visa status gets slammed on to Canadians than any type of free trade treaties as EU and Canada relations have been in free fall for a while.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2009, 6:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Everybody raise your hands who has made a vacation trip to Nagano. Lillehammer? Salt Lake City? Turin?
i haven't but if it were not for the olympics i would not know that cities like Nagano, Lillehammer or Turin existed. Would the olympics make me wanna visit those cities? maybe, if i saw something about the city on tv i would like to see in person. For example, i would love to checkout the shoe lace stadium or the watercube in Beijing. I went to Sydney Australia last year to checkout the Opera House which was shown off alot on tv during the Sydney summer olympics.

I think once people see the natural scenery of Vancouver, people who havent heard of Vancouver may want to visit. I remember reading somewhere that when the Bachelorette tv show on ABC aired, it generated interest from tourists.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2009, 10:33 PM
Mac User

Quote:
I think once people see the natural scenery of Vancouver, people who havent heard of Vancouver may want to visit. I remember reading somewhere that when the Bachelorette tv show on ABC aired, it generated interest from tourists.
After that episode aired I believe the Whistler site went down. I heard somewhere they got 300% more traffic. And I don't even know anyone who watches that show.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2009, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyjoeda View Post
After that episode aired I believe the Whistler site went down. I heard somewhere they got 300% more traffic. And I don't even know anyone who watches that show.
Nobody that ADMITS to it anyways.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2009, 9:44 AM

ill put it this way, we all have a very limited amount of attention. Only a tiny fraction of all the information entering or being generated by our brain enters our consciousness. The maximum number of things we can think of at any one time is around 5 or 6. So when Vancouver is shown for two weeks then the people watching will be paying attention (the hardest part of marketing aka brainwashing), this also means that these people will be consciously thinking about the city and hopefully after two weeks grouping the name and associated information with their other frequently used memories. This means from then on the name will be familiar(always important as it means also safer aka dont need to dig for dirt), associated information will be easier to access and remember etc. So for example when some guy gets divorced and decides to skip town for some change then the first thing he will do is think of a limited number of possible destinations with his limited attention span. These limited potential destinations will be based on where they are grouped in importance(memory wise), familiar names will get bonus points etc. So for many of us for example its much more likely that Dubai is thought of rather than Quatar yet im sure most of us have heard about both cities, but less about Quatar and are less familiar with it.
Anyways the point is that this divorced guy maybe increased his chance of moving to Vancouver from 0 to 1-100 if he has never heared of Vancouver before the Olympics and even if he has then he still increased those odds(this is a fact). When you take into account the worlds population andf factor this fact in then the benefits are very real, and this obviously works the same way for a tourist, a investor or that CEO or any person making a business decision.

The second important thing is implicit assumptions (stereotyping), people have them about everything and anything. We have to in order to group information, make decisions and just plain increase our cognitive efficiency. This is where Vancouver has to work hard to maximize the effect of the first benefit I mentioned. So when a person thinks of Vancouver, which is a good thing, they should think of positive things, think of the important things, and think of the things that will make them want to come here or invest here. Keep in mind this stuff is subconscious, im not talking about what a person thinks of consciously, im talking about what the person thinks of subconsciously that sways how they think consciously about the name and the city(catch my drift).

The third opportunity for Vancouver to increase the effectiveness of the marketing is to correct, change or twist people memories, likes and dislikes in our favour. This again is nothing that people are aware of consciously but through clever marketing and two weeks to do it you can literally make people for example believe that they like mountains or aboriginal art etc. even though they make didnt, or you can make them beleive that they always wanted to visit here even though they didnt. Not very difficult to do actually but really this part is part of the marketing already. I think you can see how this is beneficial.

So to sum it up.

1)flash the name so its rammed in to peoples consciousness and marked as common frequently used name in memory. this is step one of all marketing campaigns.

2)show the right image and market it correctly so people develop the desired implicit assumptions (stereotypes), infact if the wrong ones are created then step one can infact backfire. step number two of all marketing campaigns.

3)use clever marketing techniques to mold peoples subconscious so they think in ways that increases the effect of step one and step two. the third most important part in all marketing campagns.

result = more investments, more tourism, more immigration and all the other goodies *assuming step number two didnt backfire
kinda sad thinking about our simplicity lol

edit: crap that turned out long

Old Posted Aug 6, 2009, 10:07 AM

I want to add that all these effects have a trickle down effect to people who dont even watch the olympics through the people that do.

Also want to give people a bit of a idea of the value and effectiveness of marketing.
A 30second add during super bowl costs 2.7million dollars, there are a few hundred million people watching.

That would translate to 7.776 billion a day or 108.864 billion in 14 days. Now obviously the Vancouver brand is not marketed as efficiently during that time period like a direct commercial and people dont pay the same amount of attention like during the super bowl though I think more people tune in. But if it even is 2/100 as efficient as a super bowl commercial should be then we should break even. Now factor in the year leading up to it and years following with all the coverage, articles talk and it gets even better.

Like I say we cant lose unless we screw up royally on step number two.
The benefits should be huge, though almost impossible to measure. For example I would be surprised if Montreal didnt benefit yet most people are sure it suffered, in the end there is no way to know as we cant predict what would have been without the olympics.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2009, 4:03 PM

Psycology degree?

Old Posted Aug 6, 2009, 7:15 PM

its a new economy though - i don't think people want to travel or will travel as much as we might hope for

Old Posted Aug 6, 2009, 7:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Mind View Post
Psycology degree?
not yet but eventually
i have a huge interest in the subject and spend a great deal of time reading and researching related things, way too much time(enough time to easily have a degree by now if that time was spent on school). i have a two year degree in computer information systems(i dont work in the field and never have lol) but the plan is to go back to school and plug away at the things that actually interest me, which is psych and sociology(i think im in a big minority). its in the works.
everything that i typed last night is correct though, its also shows why commercials and billboards are bad, and why its a good thing to mute the tv and ignore it when commercials come on(no one is strong enough to not respond to commercials, its impossible as it works on your subconscious).

i dont want to be an ass but the military is a expert at doing the things i have mentioned.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2009, 7:53 PM

ill put it this way, we all have a very limited amount of attention. Only a tiny fraction of all the information entering or being generated by our brain enters our consciousness. The maximum number of things we can think of at any one time is around 5 or 6. ..
_____

when we f. we only see like three things, the breast, the head and lips...
and one ultimate sense, it is the sense of pride and dominance, plus some feeling of animals...

the above theory is very limited...

Old Posted Aug 6, 2009, 8:09 PM

its also shows why commercials and billboards are bad, and why its a good thing to mute the tv and ignore it when commercials come on

________

i hope i will eventually be making the commercials and billboards that would penetrate all your senses, and flood your life with promotions and images. my theory is that when you see "so much", you would "only think so much"...how is psychology saying about such brainwashing?

Old Posted Aug 6, 2009, 8:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Mind View Post
How about some more office buildings?
probably focused around skytrain station areas, multiple city centers with retail, entertainment, office, shopping and highrise condos. when the city hits 3 million, there should be around 2000 apartments in the area. considering toronto having a similar area but only with 1500ish apartments, and only 2.5m ppl living within the area.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2009, 8:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansky View Post
its also shows why commercials and billboards are bad, and why its a good thing to mute the tv and ignore it when commercials come on

THEM TELEVISION BEAMS WONT GET IN MY HEAD!

Old Posted Aug 7, 2009, 8:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansky View Post
ill put it this way, we all have a very limited amount of attention. Only a tiny fraction of all the information entering or being generated by our brain enters our consciousness. The maximum number of things we can think of at any one time is around 5 or 6. ..
_____

when we f. we only see like three things, the breast, the head and lips...
and one ultimate sense, it is the sense of pride and dominance, plus some feeling of animals...

the above theory is very limited...
Not sure if your trying to be funny or insulting but in my post I wasnt talking about a theory but scientifically proven facts. Everything I said has been known for many years, the entire marketing industry is based on these simple concepts(though its not important for marketing students to understand the concepts but they are taught how to exploit them).

In any case if you dont understand or beleive what I said then go find out for your self and do some research. Theres even lots of great simple experiments one can also do on them selves to prove these points. Infact some of these simple experiments are pretty cool and maybe even a bit disturbing to some people.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2009, 8:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yume-sama View Post

THEM TELEVISION BEAMS WONT GET IN MY HEAD!

But seriously i wasnt trying to make a conspiracy theory, I was just trying to say that commercials cant be ignored even though you think your ignoring them because they are aimed at manipulating your subconscious. Therefore you dont know what your getting out of them and how their effecting you. I dont know about you but I dont like people trying to manipulate my way of thinking for their own profit with no real benefit to me.

edit: well ok I see how I sound like a tinfoil hat wearing paranoid freek but im really not...its just that i understand too much about these little things to know that they dont benefit me one bit.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2009, 9:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yume-sama View Post
Nobody that ADMITS to it anyways.
I really do not understand why people watch this "reality" tv show O__o

Kind of like Survivor, when it first came out - never quite understood why so many people were so crazy about it. I never got into it. I fell asleep at a friend's place, where they were all watching it. To me, it was boring.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2009, 9:42 PM

I hope that the Olympics would have a greater impact on the professional sports scene here in Vancouver. The more major league franchises here in this city, the better exposure we will receive globally, especially with such global sports like football (soccer), and basketball. hockey is always going to be king here (and we already have an NHL franchise that is doing very well). I hope more investments come into the city too. the more coporate investment into the City of Vancouver, the better our chances of having a strong financial district, and that'll help towards the professional sports teams here too

Old Posted Aug 7, 2009, 11:26 PM

would be nice but vancouver has too much against it - being in Canada, being not toronto

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > 2010 Olympic Winter Games [Archive]