HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 5:17 AM

I know some people are reticent about it being reduced to 6 lanes. I actually think they could have gone further and reduced it to 5 which would have allowed the pedestrian sidewalk on the east side to be wider and more comfortable. I also don't see why the couldn't have made Hemlock pedestrian/cycling only.

For those worried about congestion from this, the adage that traffic expands to fill the space given to it also applies in reverse: if you reduce road space, you reduce the number of vehicles. This has been observed in many places where highways have been torn down.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 9:47 AM

Let's not take that argument too far. If we displace enough road capacity without displacing its demand, we will indeed get congestion sooner or later.

What the worriers don't get is that more often than not, Granville has plenty of non-motorist demand and excess roadspace.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 6:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migrant_Coconut View Post
Worked out just fine for Burrard - both the traffic adjustments and the suicide fencing.
The fencing that they added to the Burrard bridge is fantastic - it blends right it to the heritage design and actually enhances the bridge's look, IMHO.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroundtheworld View Post
I also don't see why the couldn't have made Hemlock pedestrian/cycling only.
Hemlock has pretty significant traffic volumes (11,000).
That would be like closing straight-through traffic at the north end (10.000) and forcing everyone to Seymour St. or Pacific.

Vehicle traffic volumes on the Granville Bridge. (City of Vancouver)
https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/gran...-configuration

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 11:31 PM

so from the their own numbers southbound granville traffic volume is at 19k yet they are reducing it to ONE lane. All because they want to add their stupid bike lane, even though Fir ramp will also have one. Makes sense.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2020, 12:15 AM

Hmm didn't notice that before.
That's a bit odd to double up on the bike lanes.
You might see more people take the Fir ramp, assuming it is 2 lanes right to Broadway.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2020, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Hmm didn't notice that before.
That's a bit odd to double up on the bike lanes.
You might see more people take the Fir ramp, assuming it is 2 lanes right to Broadway.
https://vancouver.ca/files/cov/granv...nuary-2020.pdf

If you look at the information boards (Display 28), you'll see that single lane broadens into two through lanes and a right turn lane at the new light at 5th ave. It should be completely fine for the current traffic volumes on Granville St at this section.

I'm quite happy about the bike lane connections along the Fir off-ramp. It makes for such an easy (flatter) connection to 10th ave.

I also love the easy connection to the Arbutus greenway at 5th ave. I think the Fir ramp and this 5th Ave connection serve different routes.

Some really good bike infrastructure here. Coming from east Van (say to the West End), I would often bike all the way along 10th to go over Burrard, but this bike lane will be way better! Less hill and more direct.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2020, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandor31 View Post
https://vancouver.ca/files/cov/granv...nuary-2020.pdf

If you look at the information boards (Display 28), you'll see that single lane broadens into two through lanes and a right turn lane at the new light at 5th ave. It should be completely fine for the current traffic volumes on Granville St at this section.
No it won't. When you make traffic merge, it inevitably slows down, which will cause a ripple effect. More than half of the traffic (19k out of 33k) takes Granville. This means the majority will be forced to change to the left lane. This is the exact reason why Arthur Laing is a congested mess because ALL of its ramps have 2 lanes merged into one.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2020, 12:50 AM

Yup - right where I've put the red circle -
that's where drivers will realize that they are in the Fir off-ramp lane and merge left
(assuming it is signed properly).
It would make more sense to cut the Fir off-ramp to 1 lane.

https://www.google.com/maps/@49.2705...7i16384!8i8192

Old Posted Jan 23, 2020, 2:51 AM

And Granville SB would split back into two lanes after that stretch.

Worth noting is that the recent construction means that Granville and the Fir ramp are both currently down to one lane throughout. As of tonight, Carmageddon has yet to arrive.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2020, 4:00 AM

Yeah, but they have signs up everywhere telling people to avoid the Granville Bridge due to construction, so the current loads are not normal.

I noticed that traffic seemed to be backed up on Cambie Bridge more than usual last night.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2020, 3:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
I noticed that traffic seemed to be backed up on Cambie Bridge more than usual last night.
Only across the entire length of the bridge for a number of days now.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2020, 4:06 PM

Cambie is backed up because of the lights on both ends.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2020, 1:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
Cambie is backed up because of the lights on both ends.
I noticed it was worse this past Tuesday than on Tuesdays through the Fall (and last Spring)
- I head out southbound to South Van for a class at 6:30pm Tuesdays
(so same time each Tuesday).
Last Tuesday, the backup was to mid-bridge (no accidents or anything and no snow).
In the Fall it was only backed up near the light at Canadian Tire.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2020, 12:09 AM

Granville Bridge Connector – Phase 3

Quote:
Opportunities For Affordable Housing Polarize Opinions On Granville Bridge Connector
Granville Bridge Connector – Phase 3

If this was truly the worst timeline, like some of our friends joke, then city council would have approved last year’s proposed changes to the 56 year old Granville Street Bridge. Global conditions have likely increased construction costs since then, but the previous centre lane option had plenty of failings. The most obvious is that pedestrian and cyclists would have been surrounded by speeding cars, but later studies also revealed it would not have been able to support an elevator to Granville Island.

Extensive public consultation has also taken place (pg 11), with several rounds of meetings culminating in this final series of open house events and workshops. At the former, Darren and I were joined by over 100 people, though many did not stay long. The majority appeared supportive of this refined West Side Plus option (pg 19), yet some were angry projected costs have risen to between $35- $40 million. Frankly, it was a pretty boring night, but thankfully this workshop was more exciting.
https://cityduo.wordpress.com/2020/0...dge-connector/

Last edited by Feathered Friend; Feb 8, 2020 at 1:17 AM. Reason: Added sources

Old Posted Feb 14, 2020, 10:42 PM

Ontario Greenway

Changes coming to the Ontario bike Greenway:

https://vancouver.ca/streets-transpo...n/ontario.aspx

I used to bike this a lot, and now I walk it a fair amount, at least this portion.

Ontario is one example of where a greenway/calmed street works much better than a dedicated bike lane, and it's very busy with bike traffic.

The 16th Ave crossing has always been a shit show for everybody, due to the off-alignment. The proposed change looks fine IMO. There's a park and elementary school there, we don't need people rat running around that area.

The changes at 5th and 6th are more interesting. Nothing but rule breaking cyclists and drivers in some of those intersections. I'd rather see more roundabouts.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2020, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
Changes coming to the Ontario bike Greenway:

https://vancouver.ca/streets-transpo...n/ontario.aspx

I used to bike this a lot, and now I walk it a fair amount, at least this portion.

Ontario is one example of where a greenway/calmed street works much better than a dedicated bike lane, and it's very busy with bike traffic.

The 16th Ave crossing has always been a shit show for everybody, due to the off-alignment. The proposed change looks fine IMO. There's a park and elementary school there, we don't need people rat running around that area.

The changes at 5th and 6th are more interesting. Nothing but rule breaking cyclists and drivers in some of those intersections. I'd rather see more roundabouts.
As a fast but usually not rule breaking cyclist, I gotta say I just can't stand roundabouts. Half of the time drivers stop half way through the roundabout when they have the right of way. The other half of the time is an awkward seesaw between a cyclist riding at a steady speed and a car decelerating at each roundabout and speeding up in between, making it impossible for anyone to pass safely. And don't get me started on blind roundabouts located at the bottom of hills.

Diverters and short street closures are vastly better as they reduce vehicle volumes and don't induce the unsafe seesaw effect. The new diverter at 10th and Prince Edward has largely cleared up all the cyclist-vehicle conflicts on the narrow stretch of 10th between there and Fraser street.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2020, 6:40 AM
Joshua B.

Did the Central Valley Greenway and Arbutus Greenway.

My impressions are shared pathways no longer work in this region. People do not bother to move over or have any spatial awareness. 4 pedestrians abreast. Women with large SUV sized stollers and dog walkers taking up the entire pathway.

The dedicated bike paths with bike logos painted on the ground are taken up by idiots as well.

Very noticable this time around that a cyclist is best to stay on the roads and the "shared" greenways are for pedestrians.

Such a shame because it used to be much better 7-8 years ago along the Central Valley Greenway.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2020, 5:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logicbomb View Post
My impressions are shared pathways no longer work in this region.
That's why I have a loud bell on my bike. Although it's true that sometimes I wish it was an air horn...

Old Posted Feb 15, 2020, 6:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logicbomb View Post
Very noticable this time around that a cyclist is best to stay on the roads and the "shared" greenways are for pedestrians.

Such a shame because it used to be much better 7-8 years ago along the Central Valley Greenway.
I agree, and I think the issue is volume. I will say that the "physically" separated bike and pedestrian sections of the upgraded Seawall seem to work. But where there is one paved stretch with a "share the path" sign... good luck everyone!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure