HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > 2010 Olympic Winter Games [Archive]

Old Posted Feb 11, 2010, 8:04 AM

I think it was a nautical tool fr a rope that held stuff. Methinks. I am probably wrong about that. haha.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2010, 8:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nova9 View Post
FYI, you can buy lanyards with plastic ticket covers at souvenir booths inside venues. It comes to $15 tax included.

It's not the best lanyard design but at least there is the convenience of not having to construct your own.
Thanks for the info, though I am rather proud of my home craft project .

It is funny that you have to go to an event to get one, though. It seems like they might have wanted to sell them prior to people getting into an event. The reason I thought about it was concern about standing in the rain with my "must not be damaged or folded" over-sized ticket .

Old Posted Feb 11, 2010, 8:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nova9 View Post
I think it was a nautical tool fr a rope that held stuff. Methinks. I am probably wrong about that. haha.
Close matey.

Yeah, on a ship a lanyard is a cord that ties things together or down.

But the term we use it for originates in the military, where a lanyard was a cord or rope that attached something, like a gun or sword, to the uniform. Usually it was used by calvary so that if the weapon fell out of the holster or hand it wouldn't be lost.

So can you get these lanyards only inside venues? Or can you get them at the ticket office downtown too? It would be nice to have something to keep my tickets in because my parents are going to be using theirs as transit passes.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2010, 9:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCPhil View Post
Close matey.

Yeah, on a ship a lanyard is a cord that ties things together or down.

But the term we use it for originates in the military, where a lanyard was a cord or rope that attached something, like a gun or sword, to the uniform. Usually it was used by calvary so that if the weapon fell out of the holster or hand it wouldn't be lost.

So can you get these lanyards only inside venues? Or can you get them at the ticket office downtown too? It would be nice to have something to keep my tickets in because my parents are going to be using theirs as transit passes.
I actually asked at the main ticket office downtown. They didn't have anything, and suggested the Bay (where I had already been).

As I mentioned in the main super-thread a couple of days ago, what I did was go to London Drug and purchase some plastic photograph protectors (photo album book inserts) for "panoramic-size" photographs. Those are 4" wide but longer than the tickets. Each sheet also has two slots for two photos. I bought a couple of lanyards from the Bay, cut the excess off of the photograph protectors leaving a little extra room so it would be longer than the ticket. Then I trimmed the excess plastic from the top and sides, and punched a hole near the top of one of the photo pouches. Clip on the lanyard, and you're done. Repeat the process with another sheet if you need more than one.

The Vancouver 2010 lanyard things are $7 each, and a whole package of the photograph protectors was about $3 so it's not that pricey. If I could have just bought one put together, though, I would have.

Now, you will need to un-clip the lanyard from the pouch if you need to present the ticket for direct inspection (if it can't just be scanned). In the case of transit, they may just need to see it so I can't imagine you'd need to remove it from the protective pouch very often.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2010, 3:29 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

The bay has them but I didn't even look at the price, they are in the section with the passport holders, near the elevators.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2010, 5:04 PM
Vancouver User

Anyone see any last minute tickets posted? ...I saw one news piece that indicated ticket availabilities would be 'tweeted', but I didn't see any ticket-related tweets from @2010Tweets.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2010, 5:24 PM

The Bay has tons of lanyards (of which I bought a couple), but none of them included plastic holders for the tickets themselves.

They do have over-sized passport holders that are more like small handbags. You could use that, but you will have to hold it all day or put in a bag (which they suggest you don't bring).

I'd love to be proven wrong, but I scoured the entire Olympic floor area and asked workers in two different sections. They said they didn't have them, and then suggested the over-sized passport cases.

So unless they just got some in, I don't think they have them. I will check again today at lunch, though, and send an update if I find them. (not that I think tons of people are holding their breaths on the matter ).

Old Posted Feb 11, 2010, 10:11 PM

I did go to the Bay.

First tip, ignore the "waiting line" outside that wraps all down the building. Go to main entrance, take escalator up or down, walk to the elevators and press the appropriate button to get you to the main floor. Perhaps they'll close this "loophole" entrance eventually, but it works for now. I wasn't the only one who did it, and the only reason I knew about it was because that's what workers were telling people "on the wrong side of the barrier" when I was in the store this past weekend.

Secondly, I did get lanyards with a plastic sleeve the right size for the tickets!!! Jlousa is correct, but I was as well . They had quite a few today, but seemed to be selling fast. Folks were pushing around me to get to them, and I heard a couple of people commenting to each other that they also had been looking for them for a while.

They were on the very shelves I had looked at several times in the past few weeks. A worker there said they had been out of them for a time. I just wish they had mentioned that they existed and would be getting them in when I had asked previously. Oh, well, no biggie. I kinda like my home project a bit better; but may use the official one anyhow. The one advantage it does have is not having to un-clip the holder part to pull your ticket out.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > 2010 Olympic Winter Games [Archive]