HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Dec 2, 2011, 5:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halifaxboyns View Post
Why is the retail entrances so high off the sidewalk? How will someone with a mobility issues get into the retail spaces?
I think there is a ramp, just ridden by that black tile wall.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2011, 6:05 AM

Quote:
Why is the retail entrances so high off the sidewalk? How will someone with a mobility issues get into the retail spaces?
I went by there on Tuesday in my wheelchair and didn't even think about that! I was too awestruck by the beauty of the building. I'll take another trip down there and investigate.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2011, 6:54 AM

I'm just surprised that in a day and age when most building codes would require access for those with mobility issues; I'm surprised there are stairs. The picture isn't clear about a ramp but hopefully there is a ramp that would allow common access to all the commercial.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2011, 3:07 PM

If you look at the larger building image someone123 posted, the reason there need to be stairs (and a ramp) is because of the slope in the site. At the corner the main floor is directly at street level, but the site grades downward from there, thereby leaving the main floor a few feet above the sidewalk further along the building.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2011, 4:34 PM

There is a ramp on the Morris St side.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2011, 9:20 PM
Urban Thinker

Ramp aside, this looks pretty damn sweet on street level. This and the NSP HQ have completely changed the feel of this neighbourhood, from run-down an aging to modern and urban.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2011, 2:34 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

The transformation in that area over the past few years has been pretty dramatic. Across the street, the Wired Monk building was vacant for years.

Of course, there is still room for lots of improvement. Much of the rest of the Vic site is empty, as is the Cunard lot. The old power plant also has not been fully renovated -- hopefully it will be nicely finished off when the Discovery Centre moves in.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2011, 2:39 AM
BANNED

The Alexander would be a welcome addition. My fingers are still crossed.

The Cunard site may begin next year, correct?

Old Posted Dec 3, 2011, 2:42 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Yeah, I think they said 2013.

I haven't heard anything about the Alexander in a long time. I'm hoping it will be part of the next round of condo buildings but who knows?

Old Posted Dec 3, 2011, 3:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyeJay View Post
The Alexander would be a welcome addition. My fingers are still crossed.

The Cunard site may begin next year, correct?
I think an RFP for the Cunard site just closed last week, so there should be more info about this soon.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2011, 8:26 AM

Getting the brewery tower done will make this area really pop with interest. The area that I think that has been totally under appreciated (but will soon change) is around Fenwick Towers. All those old apartment buildings around there will likely get replaced in the next 15 years once all the work for Fenwick is done because that area will become even higher demand (than it is now).

Considering that this whole area is mostly captured in the viewplanes, I think a few more midrise towers would add some interest.

A few examples I could see (but more in the same height range as Vic):

All images come from a photo thread on the forum, photos by afsmps, on Flickr.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2011, 4:34 PM

Photo by me form today:

Old Posted Dec 3, 2011, 7:08 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Getting the brewery tower done will make this area really pop with interest. The area that I think that has been totally under appreciated (but will soon change) is around Fenwick Towers. All those old apartment buildings around there will likely get replaced in the next 15 years once all the work for Fenwick is done because that area will become even higher demand (than it is now).

Considering that this whole area is mostly captured in the viewplanes, I think a few more midrise towers would add some interest.
I'm also aware of the lacking appreciation for this area. Whenever downtown with friends, through consensus, the group would always turn upward onto Spring Garden Road. I find that people tend to think of the Maritime Centre as a border; nothing beyond it is worth seeing.

This will change.

As far as a cluster of new buildings around the soon to be renovated Fenwick Place--this will happen as well. Height wise, I'm hoping for some taller towers in the non-viewplane areas, which would be westward lands. South Street, in the vicinity of SMU and Dal, is an area I'd love to see grow much taller. There is of course residential demand from the universities, but oddly there is commercial demand that is never being serviced.

For that entire area of the peninsula, you must go to Queen Street, or Quinpool Road, if you want to shop at a grocery store.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2011, 12:26 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Where are those infill projects from? Looks very American to me, with Franklin and Washington streetnames and big wide arterial type roads with 30% SUV traffic. I'd take the Vic over those buildings.

I agree that Queen/Fenwick could be a great area. The south end of Barrington is already pretty good. The W Suites building has some nice tenants for example. It's not as busy as Spring Garden Road but it's a great neighbourhood.

That shot down Morris with the mix of old brick buildings, rowhouses, and the Vic is great. In the future hopefully there will be a substantial building behind the Vic that fronts onto Lower Water/Morris.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2011, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Where are those infill projects from? Looks very American to me, with Franklin and Washington streetnames and big wide arterial type roads with 30% SUV traffic. I'd take the Vic over those buildings.
I agree with this, those buildings posted look overly American. The Vic I find has a very Canadian look too it, and there is a fine line between Canadian and American architecture.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2011, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Where are those infill projects from?
Minneapolis.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2011, 2:14 AM

They are from Minneapolis - we have many examples of them all over Calgary. I think it's a very western style.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2011, 4:43 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by cormiermax View Post
I agree with this, those buildings posted look overly American. The Vic I find has a very Canadian look too it, and there is a fine line between Canadian and American architecture.
I'm curious, aside from the intense red and white complexion, what about the architecture do you find Canadian?

I enjoy the differences of archiecture between the two countries. In America I find there's an aweful lot of art deco. Canada, I've observed, embraces more gothic types of structures; Chateau inspired buildings, for example, I find very Canuck.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2011, 4:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyeJay View Post
I'm curious, aside from the intense red and white complexion, what about the architecture do you find Canadian?

I enjoy the differences of archiecture between the two countries. In America I find there's an aweful lot of art deco. Canada, I've observed, embraces more gothic types of structures; Chateau inspired buildings, for example, I find very Canuck.
The base I would say gave me a Canadian impression. The tower its self looks more European. I think the base looks that way, too me at least has a because of the kind of stone that they used, as well as the glass. Looks like something you could find in cities across the country, specially in places like Vancouver and Toronto.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2011, 4:52 AM
BANNED

Quote:
They are from Minneapolis - we have many examples of them all over Calgary. I think it's a very western style.
I enjoy them. The south end of Halifax would appreciate something like this. It would make for a more urban view from the Citadel, yet not compromise viewplanes.

Buildings of this mass, yet relatively low height, can be built to have incredible roof balconies involving lots of landscaping and open space for the tenants. As well, they offer kick-ass views of the surrounding city.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth