HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Oct 15, 2016, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelMonkey View Post
Good to hear. Was that restaurant Home Style Taste by any chance?
Yep, that's the one. Good place....

Old Posted Oct 15, 2016, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Yep, that's the one. Good place....
Great place I figured as much but wanted to make sure just in case I was missing out on yet another gem.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2016, 1:19 AM
The City

They aren't telling you anything we don't know. This might sound like sour grapes or Chicagoans just bragging, but the plain truth is that a lot of those cities are just plain overrated when you take into perspective what Chicago has to offer at a much cheaper price. I have witnessed nothing in my personal visits that has managed to unseat this impression, with the exception of NYC, which really is quite a jaw-dropping super-city that operates on another plane.

But alas, this issue grows old. I don't know if it's intentional or something, as if powers that be are trying to keep Chicago out of the limelight (Mike Madigan? Mob? Other entrenched interests?), but getting some serious international PR about Chicago really isn't that difficult, in fact it would be quite easy. Local leadership has pulled off much more difficult and costly endeavors

Old Posted Oct 15, 2016, 2:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
They aren't telling you anything we don't know. This might sound like sour grapes or Chicagoans just bragging, but the plain truth is that a lot of those cities are just plain overrated when you take into perspective what Chicago has to offer at a much cheaper price. I have witnessed nothing in my personal visits that has managed to unseat this impression, with the exception of NYC, which really is quite a jaw-dropping super-city that operates on another plane.

But alas, this issue grows old. I don't know if it's intentional or something, as if powers that be are trying to keep Chicago out of the limelight (Mike Madigan? Mob? Other entrenched interests?), but getting some serious international PR about Chicago really isn't that difficult, in fact it would be quite easy. Local leadership has pulled off much more difficult and costly endeavors
Hm, well I wouldn't say the comparisons to Shanghai by them are something we a know.

As far as NYC goes - I'm there literally every week. It's different when you're there alllll the time. They always say that living somewhere and visiting are two different things. I have a unique situation in which I get to be in both Chicago and NYC nearly every week, and work like anybody else in Manhattan. I get asked for directions all the time from tourists. The magic of the place, just like anywhere else, wears off. For over 2 years now, almost every single week, I've been in Manhattan - in the beginning I was excited, but the magic wore off long ago for the most part. I work with many people in the same situation from all over the place - LA, Portland, San Francisco bay area, Atlanta, Ann Arbor, Chicago, Dallas, Houston, etc. Everybody in the beginning was super excited, but for every single person that wore off (except for in regards to maybe Broadway and various museums) within 6 months of being there every single week. My client offered employment to a handful of us and to move to NYC - for everyone who entertained the idea/accepted - it had nothing to do with being in NYC. It had everything to do with the money being offered. Every single person said if they didn't negotiate to enough $$, they'd never consider even moving to NYC. A friend of mine once described NYC as "a half stupid and sometimes nice, sometimes not so nice girl who happens to be hot." You meet her and you are super excited to go on a date with her. The first few times are awesome, and you continue to be excited - then you spend more time with her and realize the other parts. Eventually, your infatuation with her looks wear off and you get beyond that and stop being so shallow. When you're there every week like I am, this is a great description. It is one of the greatest cities in the world, no doubt about it - but this idea that everything there is amazing is such media BS it's not even funny.

Anyway, I'm not sure about the international PR part. The problem is the crime (which is a real issue) permeates to international news now. I have met at least 30 people from Europe and Asia on their travels in Chicago, who all previously thought Chicago would be some crappy looking, run down place with rampant crime everywhere throughout the entire city because of what they see on the news in their countries. Every single one of them was shocked at how nice the city was, and how what they heard on the news was nothing like what they were experiencing first hand. Even my girlfriend would tell me how her parents would mention to her that they saw news of shootings in Chicago on the Chinese news channel and were afraid for me.

Last edited by marothisu; Oct 15, 2016 at 2:45 AM.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2016, 4:05 AM

I have no idea how to but if someone want to create a Chicago sports arena,field. Ect. Link would be awesome

Old Posted Oct 16, 2016, 12:51 PM

Anonymous

Oct 14

Looking N from 321 N Clark - pretty sure this in in Lincoln Park. Somebody named it last month but I can't find that post.

Brick - I like brick.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2016, 2:15 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
Oct 14

Looking N from 321 N Clark - pretty sure this in in Lincoln Park. Somebody named it last month but I can't find that post.

Brick - I like brick.
I believe that is Webster Square @ Webster and Lincoln; was formerly a hospital.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2016, 2:51 PM

367 W Sedgewick - SnL

Oct 14

Old Posted Oct 16, 2016, 11:10 PM
Chicago

Prairie Court Townhomes - 1648 S Prairie

October 13, 2016

Not the best picture - I took it from Indiana Avenue looking east across a parking lot. This site is in the general vicinity of the former Eastman Kodak Company plant and close to the never built X/O Condominiums site.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2016, 11:12 PM
Chicago

Apple Store

October 14, 2016

Old Posted Oct 17, 2016, 1:37 AM
THAT Guy

1201 W Fulton from McCaffery (so it probably won't happen, especially with Zynga as the tenant)

Old Posted Oct 17, 2016, 12:36 PM

Zynga already has a small office on 150 N Michigan. The founder, Mark Pincus, was born and raised in Lincoln Park. I can see them opening a regional HQ in Chicago.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2016, 2:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin_Chicago View Post
Zynga already has a small office on 150 N Michigan. The founder, Mark Pincus, was born and raised in Lincoln Park. I can see them opening a regional HQ in Chicago.
Yep, and I wouldn't be surprised at all to see it...though you know, he does make a point that it is McCaffrey..

Old Posted Oct 17, 2016, 3:14 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu
... Her dad tried to pay the place in Renminbi too instead of USD - that was hilarious.
LOL!

Quote:
Yeah, agreed. TOD is great, but only when it has a combination of good street level activity (i.e. retail, commercial, whatever else). To be fair though, Manhattan doesn't have much of what I described anymore. They do have places where you can get that, but most of the street level stuff you can buy are actually just flowers. Most of the bodegas aren't great if you want actual groceries apart from some soft drinks/energy drinks, some snack food, cereal, and some prepared food/sandwiches.

Here's the place I was talking about in her Queens neighborhood:
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7661...7i13312!8i6656
One nice thing about eastern half of Hyde Park is it still has a number of bodega-sized grocery stores with actual, you know, groceries. In that way that part of Hyde Park is more urban than even most North Side neighborhoods.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2016, 3:49 PM

Quote:
We went on a bike ride from Oak Street beach up to around Argyle. They couldn't get over how big the lake was and how much it looked like an ocean. Her mom grew up on a coastal town in NE China semi near North Korea and even she thought it wasn't a lake. She actually inquired how much condos cost along the lake in areas like Lincoln Park, Gold Coast, and Lakeview and said she wanted to live there. Considering they bought my girlfriend a $300K condo in Shanghai that they rent out to an American ex-pat, I wouldn't doubt them buying something.
its easy to fall in love with chicago in september/october, and on a vacation to boot. everything has a sheen to it when youre leisure traveling and its easy to overlook or not see flaws. its different when you have to get up every morning, go to work, pay the bills, and all the other drudgery of normal everyday life. get back to me when theyve done a February, and then they realize theres a solid 3+ additional months of shittiness before it gets "nice".

also, are they retired? ive never fully understood this narrative of Asian tourists visiting from abroad and saying at the drop of a hat "im moving here!". things like family, career, friends, culture, etc... i dont see how that can be so flippantly discarded, but thats just me.

Last edited by Via Chicago; Oct 17, 2016 at 4:11 PM.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2016, 4:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
its easy to fall in love with chicago in september/october, and on a vacation to boot. everything has a sheen to it when youre leisure traveling, its different when you have to get up every morning, go to work, pay the bills, and all the other drudgery of normal everyday life. get back to me when theyve done a February, and then they realize theres a solid 3+ additional months of shittiness before it gets "nice".
You do realize that NE China, where my girlfriend spent the first 12 years of her life, and her parents lived the first 35 years of their life, is colder and more miserable than Chicago, right? The average high temperature where my girlfriend's dad grew up (Shenyang) is 23 degrees F in January with an average low of 3 degrees F. The average mean temperature is 12 degrees F there. The average mean temperature for Chicago in January is 21 degrees - i.e. where they're from is about 10 degrees colder on average during January. My girlfriend also did 4 years of undergrad in Beijing, which has similar winter temperatures to Chicago. She has spent over half of her life living in places that are about as cold or colder than Chicago during winter. She actually bitches whenever the temperature is above 80 degrees and tells me her and her parents think that Shanghai especially during summer is way too hot. Her ideal temperatures are in the 60s and 70s. I've never heard her complain during the winter - and she has visited Chicago twice during winter and once during a March in which it was 25 degrees and sleeting/snowing the entire time.

Also, Shenyang is much less car oriented than Chicago, and is about the population of NYC They are all used to walking around and taking public transit in the dead of winter.. Her parents did not have their first car until a few years ago (they're in their 50s) but still walk and take public transit mainly everywhere and did when they were living in Dongbei (NE China). Also, from what they tell me - nobody has heat in Shanghai in homes or businesses. So when it's January and in the 30s every night, your home is actually going to be cold (However, in NE China, everyone has central heat because it's so cold there). You can get a first hand experience of this if you go to the New World Mall food court in Flushing in Queens, NY in the dead of winter. It's cold as hell because they don't use the heat - my girlfriend told me it's very authentic because of that alone. I've never been so cold eating food in my life inside a building and she's told me that's how everything is over there and that people are used to it.

Quote:
also, are they retired? ive never fully understood this narrative of Asian tourists visiting from abroad and saying at the drop of a hat "im moving here!". things like family, career, friends, culture, etc... i dont see how that can be so flippantly discarded, but thats just me.
No, but I'm sure they'll be retired within a decade. I highly doubt they will move to Chicago or anywhere in the US, but I would not be surprised if they push my girlfriend to buy in Chicago instead of NYC. They think NYC is too dirty, too expensive, and the nature isn't as good as what Chicago has.

Last edited by marothisu; Oct 17, 2016 at 4:36 PM.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2016, 12:13 AM

Apple Store

10/15

Old Posted Oct 18, 2016, 2:57 AM

Quote:
the nature isn't as good as what Chicago has.
i was with you up until this. what is this nature you speak of.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2016, 3:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
its easy to fall in love with chicago in september/october, and on a vacation to boot. everything has a sheen to it when youre leisure traveling and its easy to overlook or not see flaws. its different when you have to get up every morning, go to work, pay the bills, and all the other drudgery of normal everyday life. get back to me when theyve done a February, and then they realize theres a solid 3+ additional months of shittiness before it gets "nice".
This is a bit extreme...

Old Posted Oct 18, 2016, 3:52 AM
The City

It's easy to fall in love with a lot of places when you are on vacation.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development