HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Food & Dining

Old Posted Jul 29, 2010, 6:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yume-sama View Post
That looks like the least appetizing food I've ever seen in this Country
Hey, it's a traditional diner. The place is small, the seating is cramped, you have to wait a while before a table becomes available, the place looks like it has never had a reno - but damn that hardy Yukon Breakfast beats 'em all (the only reason why I go there).

Hmmmmm ... photos all over the restaurant wall of well-known personalities who have also indulged there from a few PM's to the Hollywood set. BTW, Bryan Adams was a busboy/dishwasher there during the mid-1970's.

Breakfast, burgers, and pies - that's what they do best.

As a matter of fact, White Spot, until circa the mid-1980's, was only known for the same simple diner fare - burgers, deep fried chicken, and pies with the same type of interior swivel stool seating arrangements.

The Tomahawk "Barbeque" opened in 1926 while the original White Spot "Barbeque" at Granville and 67th opened two years later in 1928. Both offered similar diner fare while the Tomahawk is the only one of the two that has remained true to is original roots.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2010, 6:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trofirhen View Post
I respect your opinion, Yume, but remember: to each his own. There are people out there who would gag on a Japadog !!
Agreed, I've never had a Japadog but I've enjoyed the fine fare at the Tomahawk several times (the photo doesn't do it justice).

Old Posted Jul 29, 2010, 7:48 PM
See ya down under, mates

Ugh I gain 5 lbs just thinking about Tomahawk food.

But it is good.

The argument that he's 1.5 blocks off Marine and therefore the massive developments don't affect his property value is pretty silly. Not that it justifies 150% increase though.

And if you haven't heard of it, you need more friends who are actually from Vancouver.
Quote:
Originally Posted by trofirhen View Post
It's in North Vancouver, just below Marine Drive in the lower portion of the city, about a mile West of the built-up area surrounding Lonsdale Avenue.
If you're comng over the Port Mann Bridge, continue straight on, over the Ironworkers Memorial Bridge, then take the first off-ramp heading West along the Lower Road. Go past Lonsdale. It's a small left turn off Marine Drive, down Philip Avenue, one block.
Or save yourself 20 minutes, stay on the upper levels highway until Capilano, get off there, and keep your noisy stinky car off my street.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2010, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Agreed, I've never had a Japadog but I've enjoyed the fine fare at the Tomahawk several times (the photo doesn't do it justice).
... Too bad there isn't an icon of dancing burgers, cheese, and omelettes. (not to mention steak, lettuce, mayonnaise.....)

Old Posted Jul 29, 2010, 11:19 PM
See ya down under, mates

I don't have a car so getting to the Tomahawk is a bit of a pain, but I bought a Yukon burger from Lonsdale Quay as a result of this thread. Damn you all!

Old Posted Jul 29, 2010, 11:28 PM

Yukon breakfast, over easy eggs, rye toast, coffee.
And yes, I will pay extra for free range eggs.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2010, 11:43 PM

T-Shirts for the Tomahawk ??

Someone earlier suggesting making T-shirts with "save the Tomahawk," or such like. Is that feasible? If not, so be it, but if it is, would anyone back home consider it? I'm just asking.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2010, 12:54 AM

its not just him - a lot of businesses are facing the same problem apparently

combined with the HST its not too a good year

Old Posted Jul 30, 2010, 1:10 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

I reckon that there's more to it then just the taxes. The place would have been paid for years ago so the property taxes of 52K/yr shouldn't be what kills them. I imagine they've been going at it for so many years that they want to retire, and the property is worth so much that they can sell it for a small fortune.
Only been there a couple of times but I'll check it out at least once before it's history.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2010, 2:14 AM
See ya down under, mates

I wouldn't mind seeing it move to a new building on Marine. That end of the Marine could use more attractions.

Most people don't realize Cactus Club also started out as a modest little restaurant a block south of Marine. The original is still there (Pemberton ave) and still has the original menu.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2010, 4:13 AM
Site 8 Lives

I love the tomahawk. Such a great institution. I would love to see them establish a flagship 'hawk at Lonsdale Quay -- like a 10,000 square foot restaurant with all of the kitschy art and greasy breakfast anyone could ask for.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2010, 4:27 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyJ View Post
If I didn't live so far away from NV, I'd go every weekend (and probably be 300lbs). I'm SO going to make the trek out there again.

SAVE THE TOMAHAWK!
By the looks of that burger, taxpayers will save a fortune in health care costs if it does close.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2010, 4:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by racc View Post
By the looks of that burger, taxpayers will save a fortune in health care costs if it does close.
They can balance it out by biking there and back.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Food & Dining