HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > 2010 Olympic Winter Games [Archive]

Old Posted Apr 10, 2010, 6:51 PM
+

Vancouver house prices shoot right through the roof

Vancouver house prices shoot right through the roof
Bare lot priced near $1 million

Province

Friday, April, 09, 2010

Houses in Vancouver East and North Vancouver remain relatively affordable but single-family homes on Vancouver's west side and in West Vancouver are increasingly beyond the reach of many buyers, a new survey says.

Across Vancouver, detached bungalows were the star performer in the first quarter, posting a year-over-year increase of 21.8 per cent to an average of $906,045, according to a Royal LePage house price survey released Thursday.

"Single-family homes on Vancouver's west side are the hot ticket," said Chris Simmons, owner of Royal LePage Sunshine Coast. "They're a diminishing commodity, due to zoning changes to allow for higher density. A bare lot on the west side can now cost up to $1 million."

In North Vancouver, standard condos climbed 13.8 per cent year-on-year to $330,000. But that's an affordable price compared with other Vancouver markets, Royal LePage said.

Detached bungalows in North Vancouver rose 22.3 per cent to an average of $740,000.

Across the nation, the housing market was generally buoyed by strong consumer demand in the first quarter of 2010, even though it experienced uneven growth, according to Royal LePage.

"The first quarter of 2010 continued where 2009 left off, with more Canadians enthusiastically participating in a rejuvenated residential real-estate market," said Royal LePage Real Estate Services' CEO Phil Soper.

"One of the earliest sectors of the economy to return to growth after the difficult recessionary period, the housing sector has been a prime beneficiary of low borrowing costs and improving consumer confidence."

House prices were up across all key housing types surveyed, with the average price of a detached bungalow in Canada rising 11 per cent to $329,209 in the first quarter compared to the first quarter a year earlier. Standard two-storey homes rose 10.3 per cent to $365,141 and standard condominiums increased 10.9 per cent to $228,963.

The survey, which looks at seven types of housing in more than 250 neighbourhoods, found that there were three different trends across the country.

The first pattern, seen in urban centres such as Toronto, Vancouver and Victoria, was a roller-coaster effect in which prices dropped sharply then rose dramatically to levels that exceed pre-recessionary prices.

The second trend saw non-stop growth in markets such as Halifax, Ottawa, Regina, Saint John, St. John's and Winnipeg, while the third saw level markets, where house prices have remained relatively unchanged in Calgary, Edmonton, Moncton and Montreal.

However, the report notes that price increases in all markets are expected to ease in mid-to late-2010.

"Even in our most frenzied pockets of market activity, the inevitable rise in interest rates coupled with home-price appreciation will rein in demand as affordability erodes," said Soper.

"Expect house prices to continue to rise, but the rate of appreciation should ebb steadily, month by month, throughout the remainder of the year, as balance returns to the industry," he added.

© Copyright (c) The Province

Old Posted Apr 10, 2010, 6:52 PM

I'd still sell my soul to the devil to have a detached bungalow in North Van

My uncle has a beautiful house there, with a pool shaped like a dolphin. Google Earth it

The view from his patio towards the city is to die for Plus he can see America from his house!

Presumably he did not pay too much for the house, though, as he's lived there for as long as I can remember.

Last edited by Yume-sama; Apr 10, 2010 at 7:12 PM.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2010, 8:18 PM

Thats just insane! Those houses are definitly not worth that money.
Thank god I ain't living here permanently lol

Ill be happy with my new custom built 3 story house in Laval or Montreal that will cost me 600,000!.......and its new! and i can get a couple cars at that price...crazy Vancouver!

Old Posted Apr 10, 2010, 8:44 PM

This province is so backwards. It costs you an arm and leg to live here, and has the lowest minimum wage in the country (I think..?)

Old Posted Apr 10, 2010, 9:19 PM
Shoebox Dweller

Yes, the lowest minimum wage in Canada. However, very few are working at that rate.

The more accurate way of looking at it is taking into account median income and median housing price, which leaves us at... the least affordable place to live in the western world!

http://www.demographia.com/dhi.pdf

Median house price: $541,000. Median salary: $58,200

Old Posted Apr 10, 2010, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoolmak View Post
This province is so backwards. It costs you an arm and leg to live here, and has the lowest minimum wage in the country (I think..?)
"increasing the minimum wage is only slightly more effective as an anti-poverty measure as would be distributing money at random across households"

...back on topic, I don't see a problem with this. Single-family houses near the downtown core are a terribly inefficient use of space and as such should naturally be unaffordable for the average person.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2010, 11:23 PM

I'm not talking about just Vancouver...
and it just doesnt make sense as to why minimum wage in this province is the lowest in the country, and the most expensive province to live in, as a young adult or as a homeowner.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2010, 11:30 PM

but i guess it could be worse, this could be California

Old Posted Apr 11, 2010, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoolmak View Post
but i guess it could be worse, this could be California
Crashed so much you could probably buy the Golden Gate Bridge for the price of a Vancouver Special.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2010, 12:06 AM

Speaking as someone who spent five years in university, only to wind up in a shoe-box, barely eating right to make ends meet ...... this is depressing .....

Old Posted Apr 11, 2010, 12:08 AM

I don't think Paris is the poster boy of affordable, either.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2010, 1:58 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Sorry guys I'm closing this thread as the original poster doesn't know how to provide sources.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > 2010 Olympic Winter Games [Archive]