HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Aug 1, 2019, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilcapo View Post
I was amazed looking at the numbers for the borough of Queens.
It basically has the same rate as an average European or Canadian city.

And with a very multicultural and mixed income population, its numbers are very good by US standards.
NYC, overall, isn't that far off from European or Canadian cities.

And Queens, while very multicultural and mixed-income, doesn't really have any large-scale hoods. There are some rough projects in the Rockaways and South Jamaica, but that's about it. The black community in SE Queens has (or until recently had) a higher median income than the Queens white, Asian and Latino communities. The nonwhite population is mostly East Asian and South American.

The closest demographic analogue to Queens would probably be Toronto.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2019, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
NYC, overall, isn't that far off from European or Canadian cities.

And Queens, while very multicultural and mixed-income, doesn't really have any large-scale hoods. There are some rough projects in the Rockaways and South Jamaica, but that's about it. The black community in SE Queens has (or until recently had) a higher median income than the Queens white, Asian and Latino communities. The nonwhite population is mostly East Asian and South American.

The closest demographic analogue to Queens would probably be Toronto.
Are other violent crimes and property crimes also quite low in NYC too?

Old Posted Aug 1, 2019, 11:56 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtown,man View Post
Having the national guard come into poor urban neighborhoods would never work in America. You must not know our current political and social situation, why not come down here and watch/learn? It would be called racist and militaristic from the minute the plan hits paper.
because that worked out so well when they came on to college campuses ...

btw in college i had a housemate in the guard and we all used to talk about that. he said if the guard had to come to our campus he would be sure to look for us and aim for us. i think he was only half joking.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2019, 2:18 PM

Quote:
Are other violent crimes and property crimes also quite low in NYC too?
Relative to other U.S. cities, yes. NYC has the lowest violent crime rate of any of the bigger U.S. city propers.

Nonviolent crimes, like larceny, are actually higher in most European cities. The U.S. has a violent crime issue, not really an overall crime issue.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2019, 2:52 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
All true. But the dramatic rise in crime with both blacks and whites still hasn't been accounted for and the increase in crime among blacks were much higher than among whites, same with single parenthood. Blacks always had a higher rate than whites, but their numbers exploded while whites just increased a lot.

If we were to agree(which we do) that blacks in America always had the bad hand, then we must also agree the increase in crime after the 60s has very little to do with that hand.

Might have something to do with whites being the main beneficiaries of the largess created by the post-war economic boom. Blacks hadn't see their living standards rise quite as dramatically.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2019, 7:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
I see police with camo/machine guns all over the place. Pretty much any landmark or high traffic location. Walk through Penn Station and count the machine guns.

National Guard are for wars or national emergency. They aren't cops, and don't play any role in neighborhood crime.
OK, I guess in NYC police walk around with machine guns. That must be due to the unique terrorist threat after 9/11, probably not as much due to general gun violence and crime. I've never seen that in any other US city that I can think of, I've never seen it in Chicago or Miami.

That's your opinion, most people in France, Italy, and Spain seem fine with National Guards in cities and it is common in most big cities there.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2019, 2:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baronvonellis View Post
OK, I guess in NYC police walk around with machine guns. That must be due to the unique terrorist threat after 9/11, probably not as much due to general gun violence and crime. I've never seen that in any other US city that I can think of, I've never seen it in Chicago or Miami.

That's your opinion, most people in France, Italy, and Spain seem fine with National Guards in cities and it is common in most big cities there.
No, NYPD never patrols ordinary neighborhoods with machine guns. It's only the NYPD Counterterrorism unit that carries machine guns.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2019, 4:30 PM
Selfie-stick vendor

New York had a lower homicide rate than Toronto last year, which is pretty amazing.

Personally I think it’s time to send in the national guard to places like west Baltimore. The police are standing down, thanks to the American left and their misguided anti police crusades, and we can see the result.

People criticizing black America for crime misunderstand sociology and cultural development. Any culture, black or white, can find itself at a malign equilibrium. Look at the opioid epidemic in the US and Canada for example...or crime among Canadian First Nations populations.

Ultimately it seems the way to solve the crime problem is by integrating neighborhoods . For whatever reason, black homicide rates in more integrated neighborhoods tend to plummet.this has been very evident in DC.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2019, 5:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_denizen View Post
New York had a lower homicide rate than Toronto last year, which is pretty amazing.

Personally I think it’s time to send in the national guard to places like west Baltimore. The police are standing down, thanks to the American left and their misguided anti police crusades, and we can see the result.

People criticizing black America for crime misunderstand sociology and cultural development. Any culture, black or white, can find itself at a malign equilibrium. Look at the opioid epidemic in the US and Canada for example...or crime among Canadian First Nations populations.

Ultimately it seems the way to solve the crime problem is by integrating neighborhoods . For whatever reason, black homicide rates in more integrated neighborhoods tend to plummet.this has been very evident in DC.
So why send in the national guard if integration is the problem?

Old Posted Aug 2, 2019, 8:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
No, NYPD never patrols ordinary neighborhoods with machine guns. It's only the NYPD Counterterrorism unit that carries machine guns.
Same thing in Europe, which is why I didn't get the European reference. Cops in Europe aren't walking around neighborhoods with machine guns; it's just the counter-terrorism officers.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2019, 8:48 PM
Selfie-stick vendor

Quote:
So why send in the national guard if integration is the problem?
I think you mean the solution

you can't integrate a warzone.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2019, 1:22 AM

Quote:
I think you mean the solution

you can't integrate a warzone.
Was the military deployed to D.C. to get it ready for integration?

Old Posted Aug 3, 2019, 1:28 AM

Eastern Kentucky shooting deaths by Police officers.

Perry County KY has 2 police involved shooting deaths.

Carter County KY has 1 police involved shooting death.

Bath County KY has 1 police involved shooting death.

Wolfe County KY is at 1 police involved shooting death.

Powell County Ky is at 1 police involved shooting death.

Jackson County KY is at 1 police involved shooting death.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2019, 1:54 AM
Selfie-stick vendor

Quote:
Was the military deployed to D.C. to get it ready for integration?
No, sadly. We had 20 years of inexplicable decay, disinvestment, and homicidal violence in America’s capital city as a result, abetted by lefties. We got lucky with great (black) leadership like Tony Williams.

The French seem to be ok with dudes with machine guns patrolling their cities. Why not station some guardsmen in west Baltimore to make it known to the criminals and rioters that the government has some concern for public order, some sympathy for the victims of urban violence?

Old Posted Aug 4, 2019, 5:15 AM

Quote:

Toronto had a record number of homicides last year, including a few that would probably be counted as terrorism instead of homicides in the US (van attack and maybe the Danforth shooting). It’s comparing New York’s best year with Toronto’s worst year, but even then the point stays. For New York’s size and history, it’s murder rate is nothing short of a miracle.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2019, 5:29 AM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
The French seem to be ok with dudes with machine guns patrolling their cities. Why not station some guardsmen in west Baltimore to make it known to the criminals and rioters that the government has some concern for public order, some sympathy for the victims of urban violence?
Those French soldiers are there because of terrorism and to give the public a sense of security as well as send a message to would-be terrorists. And you tend to see them at high profile spots; Eiffel Tower, Versailles, Louvre and other potential targets. They are not really intended for law enforcement. The motivation behind deploying them in an American city outside of DC or NY would be very different.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2019, 11:53 AM

Quote:
I'm pretty sure this doesn't happen in France. But it does happen in Brazil. I don't think you want American cities to look like Brazilian favelas.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2019, 7:15 PM
Selfie-stick vendor

Well per capita homicide rates in certain neighborhoods of St. Louis, Baltimore and Chicago exceed Brazilian levels. What are we going to do about it?

Old Posted Aug 4, 2019, 7:21 PM

Quote:
Well per capita homicide rates in certain neighborhoods of St. Louis, Baltimore and Chicago exceed Brazilian levels. What are we going to do about it?
So you want to take something that has not worked in Brazil and implement it in American cities?

Old Posted Aug 4, 2019, 7:27 PM
sick transit, gloria

The military was deployed to hot spots in the Cape Flats area of Cape Town (south Africa’s most dangerous area) recently to combat unprecedented murder rates. So far it’s inconclusive whether or not it’s been effective - last weekend alone there were still around 50 murders. Including a Ukrainian tourist murdered in a very touristy area. Some weekends there can be over 70 but it varies.

Generally the military isn’t really equipped to do policing, as has been seen many times over.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions