HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Mar 18, 2017, 4:23 AM

I was down there Friday afternoon. That thing is REALLY loud.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2017, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pblaauw View Post
I was down there Friday afternoon. That thing is REALLY loud.
They always are. I hear one - not this one as the one I hear has been working on and off for a couple of years now - far away from the harbour. Not sure where it is.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2017, 6:05 PM
Honored Member

I like this rendering from the Queen's Marque website - http://queensmarque.com/. It looks impressive, and seems to be the only building in the downtown with power . Everything else is blacked out.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2017, 12:24 AM
Honored Member

Although Queen's Marque won't be extremely deep with 2 parking levels below ground, the excavation will cover a large area. I wonder if the dirt excavated will be used to create the piers? It would certainly speed the excavation if the excavated dirt could be dumped into the harbour as fill for the piers.

It would be great to see concrete footings poured by the end of the summer.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2017, 2:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
Although Queen's Marque won't be extremely deep with 2 parking levels below ground, the excavation will cover a large area. I wonder if the dirt excavated will be used to create the piers? It would certainly speed the excavation if the excavated dirt could be dumped into the harbour as fill for the piers.

It would be great to see concrete footings poured by the end of the summer.
I think whatever is excavated will be trucked off site, I believe they have a containment cell in Bedford for the material from the harbour floor. Most of the waterfront is built on rubbish and is not suitable for building large structures on. Dexter has already trucked in a lot of engineered fill to build a solid base to drive the sheet pile coffer dam from. The boundaries of the sheet piles will probably show the limits of the concrete foundation, so I believe the piers will extend beyond this on piles.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2017, 3:12 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kph06 View Post
I think whatever is excavated will be trucked off site, I believe they have a containment cell in Bedford for the material from the harbour floor. Most of the waterfront is built on rubbish and is not suitable for building large structures on. Dexter has already trucked in a lot of engineered fill to build a solid base to drive the sheet pile coffer dam from. The boundaries of the sheet piles will probably show the limits of the concrete foundation, so I believe the piers will extend beyond this on piles.
Thanks for the information. It will interesting to watch this one being built.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2017, 12:31 PM

So that sheet metal they're driving in is a coffer dam? How does that work? Are they driving it into earth? Or bedrock (is that possible)? And then I assume it holds out the water so they can pour concrete? Does it get removed at the end of construction, or is it just worked into the final construction?

Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 9:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenoser View Post
^Indeed!

Here's another aerial shot of the site / surrounding area:

https://www.instagram.com/brintonphotography/?hl=en
Interesting contrast with how the area looked in the 1930s:

Old Posted Mar 23, 2017, 2:24 PM
armchairitect

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanWatson View Post
So that sheet metal they're driving in is a coffer dam? How does that work? Are they driving it into earth? Or bedrock (is that possible)? And then I assume it holds out the water so they can pour concrete? Does it get removed at the end of construction, or is it just worked into the final construction?
it probably goes down to bedrock. will be tie anchored back as they dig down. that area is all fill and seabed, so likely pretty unstable. Someone told me that the Queens Marque parking garage is watertight, and would actually float without the building on top holding it down.

typically they cut it off a few feet down and leave it there.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2017, 12:42 PM

Bishop's landing was done similarly and also water tight, I had heard they did a type of leakage test to ensure that no water would get in. I am impressed with how quickly the sheet pile went in. I think they have been working 6, maybe 7 days a week.

Large caissons are on site now, I could see them being the supports for the pier sections.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2017, 2:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziobrop View Post
it probably goes down to bedrock. will be tie anchored back as they dig down. that area is all fill and seabed, so likely pretty unstable. Someone told me that the Queens Marque parking garage is watertight, and would actually float without the building on top holding it down.

typically they cut it off a few feet down and leave it there.
I heard a similar thing. And because of this it will take longer to build as they actually have to build two foundations. One that sits inside the other.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2017, 10:10 PM

Old Posted Apr 17, 2017, 5:50 PM
Honored Member

Some of the Queen's Marque construction can be seen on Nova Scotia webcams - https://www.novascotiawebcams.com/en...s/cable-wharf/

Old Posted Apr 17, 2017, 8:48 PM

Old Posted Apr 25, 2017, 3:50 PM

I'm sure many of you have seen these renderings but I had not so I thought I'd share...

http://queensmarque.com/form-and-place/gallery/

Old Posted Apr 25, 2017, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonDowntown View Post
I'm sure many of you have seen these renderings but I had not so I thought I'd share...

http://queensmarque.com/form-and-place/gallery/
I hadn't noticed this before, but I'm trying to make sense of the floorplates of the building in those (very detailed) renderings. From the North side, there appears to be only 7 floors above the base. From other elevations, there seems to be 9 floors above the base. The aerial view doesn't seem to indicate any floor discontinuity (eg. fewer taller commercial floors in one section, more shorter residential floors in another).

Thoughts?

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 2:44 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrynorthend View Post
I hadn't noticed this before, but I'm trying to make sense of the floorplates of the building in those (very detailed) renderings. From the North side, there appears to be only 7 floors above the base. From other elevations, there seems to be 9 floors above the base. The aerial view doesn't seem to indicate any floor discontinuity (eg. fewer taller commercial floors in one section, more shorter residential floors in another).

Thoughts?

Good observation. It really is that way. On the north side is office space with higher floor heights as shown in the floor plans - http://www.halifax.ca/boardscom/drc/...reet-8.2.1.pdf

Old Posted Apr 27, 2017, 9:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
Good observation. It really is that way. On the north side is office space with higher floor heights as shown in the floor plans - http://www.halifax.ca/boardscom/drc/...reet-8.2.1.pdf
Oh. Do the sections not connect through?

Old Posted Apr 27, 2017, 9:11 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrynorthend View Post
Oh. Do the sections not connect through?
Looking at the floor plans, the north wing is physically connected but doesn't seem to provide access to the main (central) residential section, which is probably as planned (residential and office space separated).

Old Posted May 4, 2017, 4:32 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth