HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Sep 23, 2015, 7:44 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ I hate that it's a monstrosity too, but in the end I'm still very glad it's getting built. It's replacing a depressing sea of nothingness, and it will add a ton of enclosure as well as street level retail to Broadway.
Horrible mentality. Building for the sake of building is bad building.

Broadway was just fine with the empty lot. If anything, this massive Godzilla-size piece of shit will do more to harm Broadway's pedestrian experience than an empty lot ever would... just look at that gigantic Marshall/DSW mall over on Clark/Halsted and Barry. I expect this thing to be just as overbearing and awful.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2015, 7:57 PM
The City

^ The DSW thing is a monstrosity precisely because it doesn't really offer street level retail, whereas this thing does.

And I confess, I generally do prefer development (as long as it holds the sidewalk) over massive seas of nothingness. I'm sure people living in the area will be happy to finally have a nice grocery store.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2015, 8:05 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ The DSW thing is a monstrosity precisely because it doesn't really offer street level retail, whereas this thing does.

And I confess, I generally do prefer development (as long as it holds the sidewalk) over massive seas of nothingness. I'm sure people living in the area will be happy to finally have a nice grocery store.
There's a Jewel like half a mile up the street and a Trader Joe's on Diversey. This area was definitely not in dire need of a grocery store.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2015, 8:25 PM

oh by the way the Noble Horse Theatre development got NIMBY'd

http://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20150...oning-approval

Old Posted Sep 23, 2015, 8:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Near North Resident View Post
I think that building would look awesome with a white paint job or possibly some sort of multi tone dark with white trim thing but it definitely looks like it has had some issues settling over the past few decades, huge cracks on the west side, hope they get those fixed! I'm sure those special assessments aren't cheap either
I doubt it has anything to do with settlement, it probably is because the bricks are totally fucked from decades of freeze thaw being a cold storage facility.

Remember how they gave up and totally reskinned Fulton Cold Storage and also ended up totally rebuilding huge sections of the concrete structure? The brick problems on Fulton House are probably the exact same issue that wasn't properly addressed 35 years ago and is now requiring additional repair.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2015, 8:59 PM

3924-3928 N. Sheridan Rd.

This seems like a joke:
http://james46.org/wp-content/upload...Comparison.pdf

Old Posted Sep 23, 2015, 9:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by killaviews View Post
3924-3928 N. Sheridan Rd.

This seems like a joke:
http://james46.org/wp-content/upload...Comparison.pdf

Kay....

Old Posted Sep 23, 2015, 9:21 PM
Urbane observer

^I don't understand where that would actually be. There's already a brand-new four-story building at 3916-3920, the SWC of Dakin, which is 3932N.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2015, 9:33 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^ it looks like this nonsense would be for the NW corner of sheridan/dakin.

which is too bad because there's already a nice, perfectly serviceable 3 story brick apartment building on the site with ground floor retail fronting sheridan, adjacent to the el station.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2015, 9:34 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
^I don't understand where that would actually be. There's already a brand-new four-story building at 3916-3920, the SWC of Dakin, which is 3932N.
The more contemporary-looking image shows it next to the tracks, so on the north side of Dakin I guess.

I like the Haussmann style buildings in Paris, they are what make Paris, Paris in some ways, but I think in Chicago the contemporary one would be better - especially since I'm quite certain the Paris-looking one will not be made of real cream limestone or zinc roof.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2015, 9:36 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by wierdaaron View Post

Kay....
I'm moving to LA or Portland or something... this is just ridiculous.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2015, 9:44 PM

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Near North Resident View Post
oh by the way the Noble Horse Theatre development got NIMBY'd

http://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20150...oning-approval
I'd love to see this delayed just long enough for the new TOD rules to be passed, and then have the developer propose an even taller development with less parking.

Quote:

Kay....
Holy shit

Old Posted Sep 23, 2015, 9:46 PM

Quote:

Kay....
Is this a bad joke?

Old Posted Sep 23, 2015, 9:46 PM
BANNED

Quote:

Kay....
its time to start running the old people down in the streets.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2015, 9:47 PM
BANNED

I can't stop looking at that second drawing and thinking about the clueless, completely out-of-touch developers who would green light a move from something striking and modern to the same old, Naperville looking pseudo-French neoclassical BULLSHIT! What the fuck. And this is the kind of shit that will end up getting built without issue. And it's replacing a really handsome, old school Chicago building. This is just fucking maddening, guys!

I feel like I'm living in fucking Iowa or something with the aesthetic preferences that seem so unfortunately prevalent here!!!

God damn!

EDIT: OF FUCKING COURSE IT SAYS "Lucien Lagrange Studio" on the god damn PDF!!! THAT FUCKING PIECE OF SHIT FIRM HAS RUINED THIS CITY! What a fucking joke! Fucking hack firm, wanna-be architects.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2015, 9:52 PM

The modern-looking building was already approved by ELVN. They had said that "no favorable comments were made" about the looks, but it was still approved (PDF). There must be some other asinine community group that has something against it, because the unit count went down and the parking went up. Not too long ago, there was a news post on Cappleman's site that had said that Loukas wasn't proceeding with anything anymore, so it's possible that this is a new developer?

Edit: By the way, a woman that I spoke to at Cappleman's office said that she and James are not for a regressive design at all, nor is ELVN, necessarily. It's likely that Loukas (they are still the developer) feels that this redesign is the quickest way to get the project approved. The zoning change they need is from B1-2 to B3-5, hence the need for community approval. Odd, though, that ELVN approved the changes for the old design already, yet the unit count went down and the parking count went up. Supposedly, though this is suspicious, the new aesthetic is because the prior architect could not design around the new unit and parking count, so Loukas hired a new architect.

Last edited by Jibba; Sep 23, 2015 at 10:13 PM.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2015, 9:57 PM
BANNED

Whatever the case, I'm done. This was the final straw, and I officially give up caring about what gets built in this city. Fuck Chicago. Too many backwards, Midwestern-minded hicks here. I honestly don't give a shit about anything that gets built from now on. The hotel at Wrigley, this, it just doesn't end. It's maddening, and I'm done.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2015, 10:05 PM

I'm going to scream.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2015, 10:06 PM

for those that love demolition pictures go take some! 400W huron is getting Demo'd some nice barrel celings showing as its only half done, also Munchies on Larabee is also getting Demolished right now

Old Posted Sep 23, 2015, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibba View Post
I know. I'm furious over this. The asinine neighborhood organizations down there bemoan density and traffic, and then they welcome this utter garbage. It's absolutely maddening. It's going to completely decimate this section of Broadway. And on a street with a Pedestrian designation (the curb cuts must have been grandfathered in?). Shameful.
Maddening? I'm legitimately concerned I might spiral down a rage-induced k-hole and wake up in a few days with the decapitated heads of every "Friends of" president at the foot of my bed.

I hate the way our built environment and infrastructure is so vulnerable to populist pressure. (And not even real populism: I have no doubt that these people skew older, whiter, and wealthier than the average city-dweller.) We need technocrats in charge. Or a more centralized municipal government. Or even just policies with, you know, some actual teeth.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development