HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Aug 18, 2006, 8:22 AM

I was happy to read this article. Their desire to pursue more independent retailers is a great mindset. Continuing along the lines of simply attaining more large, corporate chains, only continues to dilute Mill Avenue's remaining cache.

I'm looking forward to this, hope it works out.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2006, 8:25 AM

Looks like Avenue Communities will own most of downtown Tempe...

Old Posted Aug 18, 2006, 12:19 PM

Nice!
I'm really diggin this Mill redevelopment news.....
It's so sad watching such a beautiful historic landmark just sitting there dormant.
I do still wish The Constellation Group got the project- but Avenue is better than MCW in my eyes....

Old Posted Aug 19, 2006, 6:41 AM
zzzzzzzz

Quote:
^Ah, damn, I saw it today and was shocked to see the second tower crane go up for the 30 story Phase 2 of Centerpoint. On Tuesday, it wasn't there, only a boom crane. Wow, they go up FAST! MY bad, hehehe.
I was pretty surprised to see the 2nd one, too... considering the fact that the first one has been up for like 6 months and they're still not even at ground level. Ok, maybe that's an exaggeration, but it seems like it is taking a really long time. I just want to see them build a few stories and raise that mofo up to 240' or so!

Old Posted Aug 19, 2006, 7:51 AM
Desert Urbanite

Article from the East Valley Tribune about the Tempe City Council vote on the massive University Square project in Downtown Tempe:

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/index.php?sty=71944

Tempe leaders say condos near ASU are too tall
By Garin Groff, Tribune
August 18, 2006

Tempe took a chunk out of plans to build the East Valley’s tallest building in its downtown. The city’s leaders said the 30-story condo project called University Square was too high for a building on University Drive.

The City Council decided Thursday that the development was OK only if the developer lopped some floors off two of the three towers. The developer wanted one tower to climb to 345 feet — and up to 370 with equipment — but Tempe capped the buildings at 300 feet.

“I don’t want to see an air conditioner, I don’t want to see a cover” above 300 feet, said Councilman Ben Arredondo, who complained most about the height. “I’m going to go out there with a ruler.”

The objections followed more than a year of concerns that booming downtown Tempe might have become too popular with developers for its own good. Residents and council members said they feared pricey condo projects and developments — some worth $250 million — will make the college town unaffordable for students and the momand-pop shops that helped make Mill Avenue so popular.

“I think we’re very quickly being viewed as an elitist downtown,” Councilwoman Barb Carter said.

It’s unclear how many stories the redesigned project will have. The original plan had a hotel/condo tower at 30 stories, a 22-story condo tower and a 12-story office portion. It has about 2.1 million square feet of space, but 1 million of that is for parking.

University Square will replace a block of thriving businesses in modest buildings. The most prominent feature is the Arches, a 1960s-era slump block shopping center.

Developer Tony Wall said the project will become a contemporary landmark that features shops on the street level. It’s a place where people can live, work and recreate without using a car, he said, as it’s about three blocks from a future Metro light-rail station.

“It gives a cosmopolitan image to downtown,” Wall said.

A resident of the nearby Orchid House — which at seven stories is the tallest, most massive condo project downtown now — objected to the six-story platform that the towers would sit on.

“You basically are walled off on all four sides,” Mike Wasko said. “I don’t see it being inviting for you to explore.”

The council had previously decided this part of downtown shouldn’t have buildings taller than 300 feet. After Wall agreed to lower his buildings, the council approved the project 6-1. Councilwoman Shana Ellis opposed it after raising concerns about having so much development on one block.

The council required Wall to work with the family that owns Restaurant Mexico after hearing from fans of the longtime downtown eatery. Another redevelopment project forced it from a location on Mill Avenue, and it’s unclear if the family will want to move again. But the City Council made a major point of making Wall ensure the family will have a place in his project or some other place if they want to stay open.

By cutting the project’s height, the city still has the East Valley’s tallest building. That’s Centerpoint Condominiums, a four-tower project a few blocks northwest of University Square that has three 30-story towers planned at 343feet.

One sticking point remains for University Square and Centerpoint. The Federal Aviation Administration is investigating whether the buildings would be a hazard to flights departing from Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport.

----------------------------------------------

Okay, that councilman is nuts for saying "I'm going out there with a ruler." That's soooo funny.

On the other hand, my opinion on this project is: it's too big for the immedate area where it will be built. My take: build several midrises (about 8, 14, and 20 stories) with separated buildngs with some sort of open space, including spaces for the shops that are currently in the Arches Buiding; such as the yummy Ma'i Island Grill (an awesome mom-and-pop Hawaiian restaurant, go there sometime).

Use brick and more neo-traditional architecture mixed in with contemporary forms (like the ASU Foundation Building) so that the buildings have more of a human scale.

Having a looming 30 story tower right in front of the Architecture Building, along with the increased traffic for a hotel/condo and office, is a bit too much for that site. I have seen the plans, and it's one MASSIVE superblock. I hope the revised plans will be welcomed by the Downtown community.

One last statement: For those who live in the Orchid House nearby, with their concerns about their views: hello people, you live in a growing, thriving urban city. EXPECT tall buildings to be built around you. Don't expect that your 8 story Orchid House condos to be the king and have commanding views. If I ever buy a condo downtown, I will expect the nearby area to pop-up with more condos, partially blocking my views of whatever, and that's fine with me, because, I bought my condo in an urban city, not some shithole like Gilbert.

-Andrew

Old Posted Aug 19, 2006, 8:28 AM
watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azndragon837
If I ever buy a condo downtown, I will expect the nearby area to pop-up with more condos, partially blocking my views of whatever, and that's fine with me, because, I bought my condo in an urban city, not some shithole like Gilbert.

-Andrew
any opprotunity about Gilbert.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2006, 8:44 AM
zzzzzzzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azndragon837
For those who live in the Orchid House nearby, with their concerns about their views: hello people, you live in a growing, thriving urban city. EXPECT tall buildings to be built around you.
THANK YOU. I have this same thought every time I hear some idiot whining about how a 75-ft "high-rise" being planned in his neighborhood will ruin his mountain views. Especially in a downtown area like this one.

Quote:
One sticking point remains for University Square and Centerpoint. The Federal Aviation Administration is investigating whether the buildings would be a hazard to flights departing from Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport.
Ok, so is the second tower crane that's up at the Centerpoint site actually for the first 30-story tower? Are they just building it and "to hell with the FAA"? Or, if the FAA comes back and says 343-ft is a hazard, is the City of Tempe going to stop the construction (assuming that that is the 30-story tower they've started)? I know Tempe has basically said "Phoenix can't tell us what building heights to approve and what to deny," but wouldn't we have heard something in the paper if Tempe had said "the FAA said it's a hazard but we don't care, we're going to allow it"?

Old Posted Aug 19, 2006, 1:39 PM
Desert Urbanite

^Most likely, the FAA will not deem Centerpoint a flight hazard. The W Hotel in Downtown Phoenix will be a soaring 450 feet, and the FAA deemed that NOT a flight hazard recently. Centerpoint's second tower will be 345 feet, 100 feet shorter than the W, and about the same distance from the end of a runway as the W.

IF the FAA, for some reason, labels Centerpoint a flight hazard, that won't stop construction, whereas, the airport will need to partially adjust its flight path, which will be an annoyance that Phoenix does not want to deal with.

My take: It seems to me Centerpoint won't be a flight hazard. But, we shall see.

-Andrew

Old Posted Aug 19, 2006, 6:10 PM

Tempe doesn't care. The airport is Phoenix' deal and Tempe doesn't want flight patterns to destroy its growth.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2006, 5:47 PM
Skyriser

Not bad for a bump...

Townhome proposals go before council
Condominium plans also on agenda tonight

Katie Nelson
The Arizona Republic
Sept. 7, 2006 12:00 AM
Quote:
Although signs point to the real estate market slowing from its recent breakneck pace, the condo craze in Tempe continues.

Proposals for condo developments large and small continue to roll into city offices.

The City Council will hear seven of those proposals regarding condominiums or townhomes during its formal meeting tonight.

All of the projects are existing or are scheduled to go in near downtown or in north Tempe and are in varying stages of zoning and development.

They range from nine to 100 units.

Five of the seven condominium-related applicants are coming to the council regarding complexes builders want to install.

They include:

• Ash Avenue Condominiums are nine units that are being planned for the Maple-Ash neighborhood, off 1120 and 1122 S. Ash Ave., near the historical Pyle House.

• Campus Edge Condominiums is a 100-dwelling unit complex that includes a commercial area. The proposed site is at 922 E. Apache Blvd., and is on the site of an old Taco Bell and Texaco Star Mart. If approved, it would be 8 stories. [Ed note: It wasn't too long that they built that Taco Bell, right?]

• Dorsey Place Condominiums are to go into a lot off 1275 E. University Drive. Developers plan to install 90 condo units and office or commercial space on the nearly 2 acres.

• Miller-Curry Townhomes is a space where builders want to put 11 townhomes and one live/work unit. It is on just over an acre at 1245 N. Miller Road in north Tempe.

• Roosevelt Court is a proposal for 10 townhomes at 323 S. Roosevelt St., near Fifth Street. It is the site of four older homes.

The other two condominium applicants involve zoning changes so that apartments can be converted to condos and sold individually.

They are:

• El Adobe Condominiums at 1005 E. Eighth St., where there is a 48-unit apartment complex.

• Corsican Condominiums at 1312 South Hardy Drive, where there is a 30-unit apartment complex that the owners intend to convert to for-sale condos.

Information: www.tempe.gov/comdev
Downtown Tempe to get a CVS pharmacy

Katie Nelson
The Arizona Republic
Sept. 6, 2006 02:30 PM

Quote:
Downtown Tempe could get its first pharmacy in years, marking yet another step toward an urban-living focused transformation.

Site plans have been submitted to the city for a new CVS Pharmacy. The documents put to rest rumors circulating for months about the future of the now vacant southwest corner of Mill Avenue and University Drive.

The five-page proposal tells more than just plans for bricks and sticks, according to city leaders. It signifies a coming lifestyle change.

"The location of a full services pharmacy in the downtown and adjacent to the surrounding neighborhood helps bring back to the community the services and goods that improve the quality of life that makes it easier to live in the area," said Mayor Hugh Hallman.

"It also demonstrates we are doing the right thing, to convert the district from entertainment and retail to one that has a true sense of neighborhood in and of itself," he added.

Other community-focused amenities coming to the area include a Whole Foods Market inside the proposed Cosmopolitan - now called "KML Mosaic" - project that's slated to go on University Drive at the Gentle Strength Cooperative site. Other mixed-use proposals are touted to have support services such as food markets for coming condo-dwellers as well. But the CVS is the first such project to come to the area and stand alone.

The nearly one-acre piece of land had been the site of a Mobile gas station for up to five decades. City records show it was likely a filling station even before that as well. In recent months crews have been dismantling the remains of the gas station to prepare it for a new purpose.

The preliminary plans submitted to the city could change as they are reviewed by city staff over the coming months according to Steve Venker, a city planning and zoning manager, but for now the building would be a maximum of 30 feet tall.

The CVS building would be situated on the front of the lot, adjacent to the curbsides of the intersection in order to encourage a pedestrian-oriented feel. A parking lot would be in back, visible from the Mill Avenue side.

The proposed plot stretches out beyond the gas station footprint, and into at least part of adjacent retail lots. That could mean the disappearance of several local businesses including Sahara Middle Eastern Restaurant and Long Wong's on Mill Avenue, which only reopened at the site earlier this year.

One of the owners, Norma Hora, said Long Wong's hadn't actually been notified of the change, but they had suspicions because a surveyor was measuring land that included their lot.

As of now, the CVS will look like many of its some 6,100 locations throughout the nation: pale yellow stucco walls, pillars around the sides, with a marquee-style front.

There are currently seven CVS Pharmacies in Tempe; but the closest pharmacy to the downtown district is a mile away where there is a Walgreens at Mill Avenue and Broadway Road.

ASU student housing plan concerns residents in area

Eugene Scott
The Arizona Republic
Sept. 7, 2006 12:00 AM

Quote:
Arizona State University plans to build a residential community for nearly 2,000 students on Apache Boulevard, and local residents aren't too pleased.

Nearly 70 members of the Daley Park Neighborhood Association voiced their concerns to university and city officials Tuesday night.

The 12-building South Campus Residential Community will feature housing for 1,860 students; a seven-story, 1,860-vehicle parking garage; additional parking for more than 330 vehicles and commercial retail. The entire development will be more than 810,000 square feet. [Ed. note: I believe this is on the site of Mariposa Hall, which is scheduled for demolition next semester]

"The university could build this tomorrow if they wanted to. But we're here to figure out how best to co-exist," said Steve Nielsen, ASU assistant vice president for university real estate development. "We have a commitment to work with you and your issues. At the same time we have a university to run."

Nearly 7,900 students live on ASU's Tempe campus. University officials said this development has to be completed to increase that number to the university's goal of 15,500 by 2020.

"There's almost no housing for students beyond their freshmen year," said Ron McCoy, university architect. "We don't even have enough housing to house all the freshmen."

Concerns with parking and traffic permeated the meeting. Residents and city officials said having a development so close to the Apache Boulevard and Rural Road intersection could be a safety issue. [Huh?!]

"I am concerned about the possible pedestrian and bicycle safety of this project," Tempe Police Chief Ralph Tranter said.

Residents said they've expressed their problems with increased traffic and parking before, but they've fallen on deaf ears.

"They say they understand where we're coming from, but still they come back with the same thing," said Ernie Nickels, chairman of the Daley Park Neighborhood Association. "So we're pretty frustrated, they say one thing and then they don't do it."

Residents also fear that other safety issues, noise and an additional traffic signal will fill their neighborhood and suggested that designers move the parking garage from the rail line and closer to the Rural Road and Apache Boulevard intersection or perhaps farther north.

University officials said that location is not an option.

"It does not make good urban design sense to move the garage close to Apache. Nobody likes to see a parking garage taking up valuable frontage of a good community street," McCoy said. "Other locations they suggested are far more disruptive to the kind of community we're trying to create. We need to find a solution that balances all of the concerns."

The option of building a parking garage underground to eliminate sound concerns was mentioned, but McCoy said the cost of the project would double if developers went with that option.

"Did you ask the Legislature for money for this project?" asked Sen. Ed Ableser, D-Tempe.

University officials said they did not because the project is being paid for with private funds.

Some residents don't want the project to have parking at all. University officials said not providing parking is also not an option.

"If we don't provide some level of parking they are going to choose to go back in your neighborhoods," Nielsen said.

McCoy said competition for housing requires new residence halls to include parking.

"We're competing in a market where students have access to parking. These students have grown up where they don't want to give up their cars," McCoy said. "We're trying to get students out of your neighborhoods. But there are sacrifices that have to be made in order to make this work."

University officials said there would be less traffic than residents perceive because 30 to 40 percent of students move their cars less than six times a week on average.

But residents said even if there were limited student traffic, traffic would be generated by the stores.

"The retail is expected to serve the community," McCoy said.

Residents expressed greatest concern about an alleged promise the university made in 2002 not to build a garage in their neighborhood. Nielsen said he was unaware of that agreement.

The aesthetics of a seven-story garage in addition to several four-story buildings were of concern as well. The residences will feature balconies facing the neighborhood and many residents expressed concern about students littering from balconies onto residents' property. Other residents expressed concern about the limited green space in the project.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2006, 6:31 PM

[Ed note: It wasn't too long that they built that Taco Bell, right?]

They built the new taco bell on the corner to take the place of the old/abandoned taco bell a little further east, which is what I assume they are talking about.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2006, 10:03 PM

A large drugstore, like CVS, is a good thing for downtown Tempe, yes. However, the SW corner of Mill Ave/ University doesn't seem like the best location to me--especially considering they're going to be bulldozing several neighboring independent retailers in the process, just to make way for it's parking lot.

I think there are possibly better, more unique uses for that exact spot.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2006, 11:31 PM
under the influence...

Quote:
Originally Posted by camelback_road
A large drugstore, like CVS, is a good thing for downtown Tempe, yes. However, the SW corner of Mill Ave/ University doesn't seem like the best location to me--especially considering they're going to be bulldozing several neighboring independent retailers in the process, just to make way for it's parking lot.

My thoughts exactly...

Some of you may have spotted my rant that was previously here. Rather than detract from this thread, I moved it to a new one called "What is the vision for Tempe?"

If you have an opinion about Tempe's current direction (good or bad), or just want to pile on to the rant, please take a look.

Last edited by vertex; Sep 8, 2006 at 5:40 AM.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2006, 7:43 AM

HOWEVER - if that drug store had CONDOS on top of it... I would be in love.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2006, 4:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camelback_road

If they really wanted it to be Urban they would have less parking and make the building a little smaller. That way the independant retailers could still be there.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2006, 1:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JI5
HOWEVER - if that drug store had CONDOS on top of it... I would be in love.
I second that!

Old Posted Sep 9, 2006, 1:27 PM

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/ind...dest=STY-73588

30-story Tempe building gets OK
By Garin Groff, Tribune
September 8, 2006
Federal aviation officials have decided that a proposed 30-story building in Tempe — which would become one of the East Valley’s tallest structures — isn’t a hazard to airliners and their passengers.

Yet Phoenix officials and one airline still have concerns about the 300-foot University Square project.

The building won’t rise to the original proposed height of 370 feet, however, because the developer’s plan exceeded the height limit for that area of downtown.

Even with 70 fewer feet, Alaska Airlines has objections to what the building could mean to its operations at Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport. Tall buildings can pose a safety and operational hazard, the airline said.

“I’d have to think the issue still exists,” Alaska spokeswoman Caroline Boren said Thursday.

The high-rise condo is the second one proposed in downtown Tempe that has triggered a skirmish between Phoenix and Tempe. Should an engine fail when an eastbound airliner departs Sky Harbor, two air- lines would have to make a turn over downtown and use airspace above the buildings. Alaska Airlines was the only airline to object to the Federal Aviation Administration about the University Square project.

Tall buildings in the area mean planes will have to fly with less weight in some cases to ensure planes are high enough in case an engine goes out. That would mean fewer passengers — and less profit.

“It’s definitely a capacitylimiting issue,” said Jane Morris, a deputy aviation director at Sky Harbor.

Phoenix would not have allowed the building in its downtown under similar circumstances, Morris said. The FAA noted the building was too tall for Alaska’s flight procedure, but it wasn’t a big enough concern to the overall operations at the airport to warrant an objection. Morris said Phoenix has a stricter building-height standard in order to prevent airlines from having to reduce their passenger loads.

Morris said she didn’t know if Phoenix would object to the FAA’s findings. Alaska could formally object to the FAA decision, but Boren said she did not know what the airline might do. The airline is concerned the building could hurt its service on its 8 to 10 daily departures from Sky Harbor.

When temperatures are higher, a plane rises slower and has lower weight capacities. Flying over a tall building would prompt a reduction in a plane’s weight limit and could force Alaska to have fewer passengers.

“We’d have to leave people behind, and we don’t want to do that,” Boren said. “The reliability of service is a huge concern.”

The developer of University Square was comfortable with the FAA determination.

“We feel like we’ve satisfied the FAA’s requirement,” Shea Commercial president Jim Riggs said. “What else can we do besides that?”

Riggs expects to break ground on the $500 million project in the first half of 2007. It includes retail space and three high-rises that include offices, a hotel and condos.

Meanwhile, Avenue Communities is planning its Centerpoint Condominium project, which includes three 30-story buildings of up to 343 feet. Avenue has already started building a 22-story structure that the FAA has said is not a hazard.

Margie D’Andrea, Avenue spokeswoman, said the firm hasn’t gone to the FAA yet for a review on the taller buildings.
________________________________________________________________________________________________
More Good News!.... also, Screw Alaska Airlines!

Old Posted Sep 9, 2006, 6:54 PM

hahaha/\

lame objections. good for tempe

Old Posted Sep 9, 2006, 8:35 PM

This is going to be one massive project, if all plays out.

I like it.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2006, 11:29 PM
under the influence...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX31
hahaha/\

lame objections. good for tempe
I don't know about you, but I'm not willing to be stuck with the traffic this thing will create. The parking garage alone is 7 levels, 6 of which will be above ground. Imagin, the base of this structure will be taller than the ASU bank vault down the street. Quite a neighboorly addition.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest