HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Projects & Construction Updates

Old Posted Jan 28, 2017, 10:41 PM

Southdale and Wellington Rd. Redevelopment

Another development on Wellington Rd.

http://www.gleedcommercial.com/featu...d-south-london

Old Posted Jan 30, 2017, 2:33 PM

I've seen the sign there for a few weeks and wondered what they where going to do. The original design of that plaza with the interior "outdoor mall" walkway between the buildings was a design trend for a while but it seems the "big box" type pad buildings win out these days.

Looks like the back of the buildings will face Wellington / Southdale. I found that strange that they developed the other end of the block where the Fedex and Firehouse subs that way as well. Seems backwards to me.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2017, 2:34 AM

This redesign makes sense. It will give these stores more of an in your face presence on Wellington. There are few stores in the interior courtyard area that are open, most are either vacant or the odd business office. Who wants to sit around some deserved strip mall, with no stores?

Old Posted Mar 30, 2017, 12:10 PM

More news about this project. Could start this summer.

http://www.lfpress.com/2017/03/29/so...ck-down-update

Old Posted Jul 29, 2019, 2:15 AM

Not sure if this is the same development, but demolition has started on the Southeast block of this property.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2019, 9:58 PM

Yeah, I noticed the old Kelsey's coming down a few days ago. Nice to finally see some movement on this. We were having breakfast in whatever that breakfast restaurant is called last summer and asked about the construction and she thought it might have fallen through or something.

I wonder if the idea is to build and demolish in stages so that there is still parking available. Knock down this building, make parking, build the southernmost buildings, relocate businesses, knock down next building, and so on. I haven't even paid attention to how many businesses are in there anymore. Also interesting the restaurant in the hotel closed around or a bit before Kelsey's closed. Been tough luck for restaurants in that spot over the years. The guy that ran it had a long pedigree in London restaurants as well (Huron House, Sweet Onion Grill, his son came in after he closed Icarus).

Old Posted May 15, 2021, 9:11 PM

Another of the buildings on this site is now being demolished. Just caught a glimpse passing by, so not sure if it was just the one building at the northwest corner of the lot or if another is going as well. What will be interesting to see is if any of the redevelopment is actually going to happen there. I think the sign out front still says "Fall 2019 occupancy" lol.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2021, 12:09 AM

Steel framing now up on a building at the southeast corner of the property. Saw it too late to grab a picture today, I will try to get one in the next few days.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Projects & Construction Updates