HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Buildings & Architecture, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Sep 26, 2012, 6:09 PM

Campeau Talbot Block Renders?

Giving away my age here, but does anyone have any renderings, details, acticles, City Planning Dept docs, etc. on this? There was a real physical model they had on display for the public - wonder where that is?

It was gonna be huge - IIRC 25-30 office floors with a big pyramid on top. I am guessing over 400 feet?

Sort of like this, but sandy/light brown in colour and a touch shorter: http://skyscraperpage.com/cities/?buildingID=104

Would love to have everyone get the chance to see/learn the details on this (would have probably meant no One London Place).

Anyone?

Old Posted Sep 26, 2012, 8:57 PM

If my memory is right, the tallest tower was going to be over 40 stories and the other towers 25-35 stories. The project was massive and included a galleria type shopping mall too. I think the library would have the LFP papers that had renders from back then. It think there is a room called the "london room".

Old Posted Sep 27, 2012, 1:30 PM
London Aficionado

Couple of quick things:

1) It was Cambridge, not Campeau, that owned the block the JLC now sits on.

2) There was this project that was never built - http://www.emporis.com/city/london-c...uilt-buildings

But I believe this project was destined for where the courthouse/Federal/Bell buildings now sit...?

I'll keep digging to see what I can find for the JLC block...

Old Posted Sep 28, 2012, 3:52 PM
Sanity merchant

I've got info and pics. Went to the DT Library last night and the helpful lady found me some books and such. Took snaps, so just have to edit them and post them. Give me a few and they'll be here by 4 or so pm.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2012, 4:17 PM
Sanity merchant

I've uploaded them, link is below.

Cheers

http://imageshack.us/g/38/20120927151758.jpg/

Old Posted Sep 28, 2012, 8:00 PM

Thanks for posting those K85!!

The 'three tall buildings' is 100% for sure what was proposed (the big one is a 29 or 30 floor apt IIRC) for the E half of the block where the Courthose is - it stalled and was cancelled. Was a HUGE hole in the ground for the longest time!! They eventually put the Bell and Federal buildings on that site.

There are FIVE levels of parking under those buildings! And the Bell building was originally designed to be expandable to 23 floors!

That is an interesting render for the JLC block - not sure who did that one.

Hopefully someone can dig up something about the huge towers for the JLC block...

Old Posted Sep 29, 2012, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honest Scientist View Post
Was a HUGE hole in the ground for the longest time!!
I do remember that hole, and the hording, as a kid. When the project collapsed, it was treated as quite a scandal in the media.

Quote:
And the Bell building was originally designed to be expandable to 23 floors!
And it still is.

Quote:
That is an interesting render for the JLC block - not sure who did that one.
Yes, the facade of the mall was to be quite interesting. then again who knows what would actually have got built. The Campeau project (Galleria) literally promised city council that it would have storefront windows at every external wall fronting on to a street to keep that downtown storefront feel. We all know what happened with that, so who know what the Cambridge project at the JLC site would actually have looked like. The simulated heritage facades may well have only been an attempt to placate the heritage preservation faction who was fighting the project tooth and nail. I'm not sure many here were around for the very, very ugly battle over the demolition of the block for the big development that never happened.

Quote:
Hopefully someone can dig up something about the huge towers for the JLC block...
One can always check out the Free Press, circa '86 or '87. There were images published in the paper at the time.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2012, 3:27 AM
Sanity merchant

23 floors?? really???

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Buildings & Architecture, Urban Design & Heritage Issues