HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Buildings & Architecture, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Apr 29, 2011, 7:22 PM
Wannabe Urbanite

I'd say that this building rivals One London Place, as an instantly recognizable symbol of the city.

http://www.cvltvre.com/pg/cvltvre_events/view/53649

Old Posted Feb 5, 2012, 6:08 PM
Wannabe Urbanite

^Well, that probably won't be true any more after the unfortunate logo change.

Anyways, I stumbled upon an interesting post on Urban Toronto today.

http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/showthr...-Snaps-Part-II

Yes, it's a little condescending, but the photographer raises an interesting point about City hall. They seemed to be really quite impressed with it, and they pointed out some things that I never really noticed before. What I was wondering is if we should be putting more care into preserving this modernist artifact. Is city hall (and plaza) a masterpiece, or another forgettable relic of an era of poor planning? I say this because I can't really think of any other real examples of modernism in the city. Yes, there's a couple ugly low rises downtown, but other than that I'm stuck. I understand that city hall may end up geting used as a downtown UWO campus if we ever get a new one, and I think it would be nice if they would restore the plaza to some of it's former glory. Also, a reclad of the apartment building would do wonders. City Hall is far from my favourite building in the city, but if it's really our only quality example of modernism, should we be doing more to preserve it? I mean, Nathan Phillips Square is getting a makeover in Toronto, and everyone seems to love their City Hall despite it's shortcomings, what about ours?

Old Posted Feb 6, 2012, 2:49 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpseatles View Post
I'd say that this building rivals One London Place, as an instantly recognizable symbol of the city.

http://www.cvltvre.com/pg/cvltvre_events/view/53649
hear, hear!!

Old Posted Feb 6, 2012, 4:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpseatles View Post
Yes, it's a little condescending, but the photographer raises an interesting point about City hall. They seemed to be really quite impressed with it, and they pointed out some things that I never really noticed before. What I was wondering is if we should be putting more care into preserving this modernist artifact. Is city hall (and plaza) a masterpiece, or another forgettable relic of an era of poor planning?
Having read through some Free Press archives from 1971, I can say that City Hall was heavily criticized architecturally when it first opened. The front overhang was compared to a giant television set in one editorial.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Buildings & Architecture, Urban Design & Heritage Issues