HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Apr 25, 2007, 5:27 PM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Yeah, those buildings are occupied.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2007, 5:40 PM

I wonder if the additional 17 acres is the landlocked undeveloped land next to the home depot?

http://www.google.com/maps?q=San+Ant...14591&t=k&om=0

Last edited by sirkingwilliam; Apr 25, 2007 at 5:48 PM.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2007, 5:46 PM
Austinite

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
Yeah, those buildings are occupied.
Gotcha... been awhile since I've driven that stretch of 35. In any event, a flea market is probably not the best use for a former big box with great freeway visibility. Agreed about tackling the Windsor Park site first... the rest will fall into place if redevelopment is successful.

Here's a great photo site/thread on the 'final days' of Windsor Park. Kind of depressing:

http://modsnap.com/deadmalls/

More articles
http://www.bizjournals.com/search/bi...2&t=sanantonio

http://deadmalls.com/malls/windsor_park_mall.html

And the ever great Deadmalls.com
http://www.deadmalls.com/

Old Posted Apr 25, 2007, 6:11 PM

Here are some from my webshots album

It has excellent I-35 access

Frontage along Walzem Road a 7 lane arterial roadway

This directly faces I-35

This Faces Walzem

What once was 11/29/86

Old Posted Apr 25, 2007, 6:21 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

I just don't see it, guys.

There are too many newer, accessible shopping centers 10 minutes up I-35 (Forum and the new Live Oak center going in, not to mention Rolling Oaks) and the traffic in that area is ATROCIOUS.

High-Density redevelopments usually cater to wealth first and foremost and that area is not known for it's wealth. Plus, it's on the "wrong side" of 35 in the opinion of too many.

I am afraid that the best we could hope for is another Crossroads-type development.

That said, I'd love to be proven wrong.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2007, 6:44 PM
Austinite

Wow, those photos bring back memories. During our family daytrips to SA, we would always stop at the mall (for dinner and/or shopping) on the way back toward Austin. The interior of Windsor was very reminsicent of the early years of Barton Creek Mall (I believe Windsor was also a Simon-managed/developed property). Needless to say, in the past decade those malls have gone in totally opposite directions.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2007, 7:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakyle04 View Post
I just don't see it, guys.

There are too many newer, accessible shopping centers 10 minutes up I-35 (Forum and the new Live Oak center going in, not to mention Rolling Oaks) and the traffic in that area is ATROCIOUS.

High-Density redevelopments usually cater to wealth first and foremost and that area is not known for it's wealth. Plus, it's on the "wrong side" of 35 in the opinion of too many.

I am afraid that the best we could hope for is another Crossroads-type development.

That said, I'd love to be proven wrong.
I disagree about high-density catering to wealth. High-density can cater to a mix of incomes. I also don't see another (did you mean) Central Park Mall-type development as Windcrest is really putting an effort into trying to fix up the property.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2007, 9:43 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

Quote:
I disagree about high-density catering to wealth. High-density can cater to a mix of incomes. I also don't see another (did you mean) Central Park Mall-type development as Windcrest is really putting an effort into trying to fix up the property.
I can't think of one suburban redevelopment with "high-density" (i assume we don't mean standard apartments) housing that catered to anyone but people who can afford $200,000 and up for a home. Anywhere.

I meant the former Crossroads Mall at I-10/410. That was a formerly busy mall that died as the income levels shifted and commerce moved out towards 1604.

Over the years, it has experienced some rebirth... A SuperTarget, a small convention facility, a 150-room hotel, a boutique theater, etc...

I think to expect something like The Domain in Austin in that area is just not realistic. It is an undesirable school district (not NEISD in particular, but Roosevelt and it's subsidiaries), on the "wrong side" of 35, and more.

I stand by what I said. Hope for some rebirth along the lines of Crossroads and anything more we'll take as a bonus.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2007, 10:30 PM

In my opinion, $200,000 isn't wealthy. That is more along the line of average to a little above average. However I do understand what you are saying but I do not understand the vauge comment of "the wrong side of 35." As for the slight to Roosevelt, I feel that's very uncalled for. A quick glance at a site like GreatSchools.net shows that GreatSchools give the school a 7 out of 10 and the parents rating on the site give it 4 out of 5 stars.

http://www.greatschools.net/modperl/...school/tx/5060

I think it's a misconception of that general area that sometimes make it seem worse than it really is.

And I don't think anyone is expecting everything like the example you gave, all suburban developments are different whether dense or not. However, the one thing that makes me believe this will be something worth wild is that the city of Windcrest is doing this and not some sprawl happy developer. Look at Converse and there Town Square that is currently under construction. It's fantastic.

Last edited by sirkingwilliam; Apr 25, 2007 at 10:42 PM.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2007, 10:59 PM

I posted an article detailing the Converse Town Square.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=130125

Old Posted Apr 26, 2007, 12:17 AM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

Quote:
However I do understand what you are saying but I do not understand the vauge comment of "the wrong side of 35." As for the slight to Roosevelt, I feel that's very uncalled for. A quick glance at a site like GreatSchools.net shows that GreatSchools give the school a 7 out of 10 and the parents rating on the site give it 4 out of 5 stars.

http://www.greatschools.net/modperl/...school/tx/5060

I think it's a misconception of that general area that sometimes make it seem worse than it really is.

No offense in knocking Roosevelt. Perception of the school and the area are not great though. My wife teaches in NEISD and I work for what used to be San Antonio Teachers Credit Union at I-35/Weidner.

I know what people I deal with every day think, regardless of its actual validity.

Whether we like it or not, there is always going to be perception that there is a "wrong side of the tracks" or the street or whatever. Only time and open minds can turn it around.

My hope is that Converse and Windcrest can build the reputation of the area and I hope, like you, that these projects become great both for the suburbs and San Antonio alike.

Thanks for the chat. Thanks too for your unique perspective that you bring to the forum. Viva Fiesta.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2007, 2:24 AM

You also have to understand that Roosevelt is being rebuilt from the ground up to Reagan+ Specifications including a joint school/public library. I don't think that anyone thinks of Windcrest as being the otherside of the tracts. Windcrest used to be talked about like stone oak is today. With 250,000 dollar houses going up in 2 new subdivisions in windcrest it's going to bring alot of wealth back to the area.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2007, 5:04 AM

Rackspace confirms that Windsor Park is the preferred location of it's expansion of 6,000 workers if it stays in San Antonio

Eyeing more Rackspace

Web Posted: 04/25/2007 10:45 PM CDT
http://www.mysanantonio.com/business...e.2bd6308.html
L.A. Lorek and Rachel Stone
Express-News Business Writers
San Antonio's fastest-growing technology company, Rackspace Managed Hosting, might move its headquarters to the Windsor Park Mall.
Or it might move out of state.

Other states are actively recruiting Rackspace, which has 1,612 employees including 1,250 in San Antonio, said Lanham Napier, Rackspace's chief executive officer.

"I don't think it's a situation where we want to move the whole company out," Napier said. "But for the next 1,000 Rackers, we've got to decide are they going to be in San Antonio or are they going to be somewhere else?"

In January, the Windcrest Economic Development Corp., backed by a consortium of investors in Texas, Louisiana and California, bought the Windsor Park Mall. The deal was officially announced late Tuesday.

County records show that the backers invested at least $15.3 million to acquire the 1.2-million-square-foot property from three owners.

The investors put up all of the funding and will take over the property in case it doesn't sell, said Windcrest city administrator Ronnie Cain. Windcrest is in "preliminary stages" of negotiating with several companies that could buy the site, including Rackspace.

The land that the mall sits on is in the City of San Antonio. That means the cities of Windcrest and San Antonio would have to work out the details about how to provide any tax abatement incentives to Rackspace or another company.

"We're going to be as supportive as we can to redevelop that area," said Robert Peche, San Antonio's economic development director. He declined to provide any further details.

Rackspace executives have talked with the cities of San Antonio and Windcrest, as well as Bexar County and state economic development officials about incentives to keep the company from relocating out of Texas, said Mario Hernandez, president of the San Antonio Economic Development Foundation. He declined to give specifics on those incentives.

The Windcrest EDC could use funds provided under the state's economic development sales tax law to structure a variety of incentives, from outright funding to property tax relief for the mall's new owner.

"It's a priority of the city, county and state to keep them here," Hernandez said.

The Windsor Park Mall site is Rackspace's preferred location in the San Antonio area, Napier said. It offers a campus-like setting that could accommodate more than 6,000 employees, which Rackspace eventually could have, he said. Rackspace is getting close to outgrowing the 200,000-square-foot building it leased two years ago on the Northwest Side, Napier said, and the privately held company cannot afford the time or cost to construct a new campus, he said.

"We've got these space requirements today," he said. "We need access to an existing building and we can start moving people in."

In addition to the mall, the City of Windcrest and its investors are trying to close on the purchase of 17 acres near the mall, just north of Walzem Road. The 17-acre tract is inside the city limits of Windcrest.

The Windcrest EDC has had difficulty drawing developer interest in the vacant acreage because of the decrepit mall, Cain said.

"Windcrest has been trying to develop (the acreage) for years," said Ray Watson, the EDC's executive director. "People weren't interested because they wanted to know what was going to happen with the mall."

Windsor Park Mall, which opened in the late '70s, was a shopping destination with major retail anchors such as Dillard's. But it started losing tenants in the late '90s. The mall's last tenant, Mervyn's, closed in 2005.

Graham Weston, chairman of Rackspace, owned the portion of the mall where the Montgomery Ward store used to be, but he sold it several months ago for an undisclosed price, said Annalie Drusch, Rackspace spokeswoman. Weston was out of town Wednesday and unavailable for comment.

In 1998, three Trinity University students founded Rackspace, which provides Web hosting services to businesses. The company survived the dot-com collapse, and has grown quickly from the 200 employees it had in 2002. Last year, Rackspace's revenue topped more than $220 million.

Napier said the question is whether Rackspace can make Windsor Park Mall the right long-term home. "For the next 5,000 Rackers, is San Antonio the best place to do that, or do we need to move to another talent market?"

Old Posted Apr 26, 2007, 3:00 PM

Sounds like things are heating up. Rumor has it Rackspace wants to do a USAA type campus on the Windsor Park Mall site.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2007, 2:24 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

Windcrest has all the hallmarks of a classic Texas suburb

http://www.mysanantonio.com/business...t.257b917.html

Mentions the area's slipping reputation and Walzem's decline...

Also talks a lot about the undiscovered beauty and charm of the area and it's eventual (imminent) rebirth.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio