HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jul 2, 2020, 1:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siriusb View Post
It's in the hands of the architects. Once designed, it will take off from there. By soon I mean possibly next year's budget.
Across the road on John Yeo Drive, there is a new development approved and will soon be starting there along with many others in the area. So there is certain element of hurry up and get this fire hall built as there is a lot of development happening.
It’s in the design stage, but there’s still a lot of work to be done once a design is drafted. There was a fire hall designed for Capital Drive five or six years ago...land suitability killed that project.

I’ll be very surprised if this station is built before the next election. There are staffing issues that have not been worked out, etc. The city has also started looking at land near KFC on St Peters Road. Station 2 in Sherwood is a big issue. The city says it will stay, but can the city find enough people to have three stations? A lot of unanswered questions.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2020, 2:20 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Is the fire department in Charlottetown still primarily a volunteer force? It was when I lived there, but that was a long time ago, and the city has grown a lot.

Most cities in the region are fully (or at least mostly) professional now, and firefighter jobs are usually highly prized, with lots of competition for positions.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2020, 4:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

Is the fire department in Charlottetown still primarily a volunteer force? It was when I lived there, but that was a long time ago, and the city has grown a lot.

Most cities in the region are fully (or at least mostly) professional now, and firefighter jobs are usually highly prized, with lots of competition for positions.
According to the city’s website, there are 8 full time firefighters (paid), and 76 volunteer members. The city also has two fire inspectors, a prevention officer, an administrative support officer, and a chief and deputy chief, so 14 paid staff total.

Charlottetown would never be able to afford a paid department. I’ve read it costs overs $100,000 a year for a paid firefighter. The city would need to find an additional $7m a year to pay for it. The volunteers cost the city less than half a million per year.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2020, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGK View Post
According to the city’s website, there are 8 full time firefighters (paid), and 76 volunteer members. The city also has two fire inspectors, a prevention officer, an administrative support officer, and a chief and deputy chief, so 14 paid staff total.

Charlottetown would never be able to afford a paid department. I’ve read it costs overs $100,000 a year for a paid firefighter. The city would need to find an additional $7m a year to pay for it. The volunteers cost the city less than half a million per year.
"The city has decided on a site, on Malpeque Road between the Atlantic Cat dealership and Moore Well Drilling Inc. The new station will also have access onto Sherwood Road.
A few years ago the city paid $870,000 for a 4.5-acre parcel of land while the 2020-21 operating budget contained $165,000 to have the building designed."

The details on manning the station is underway. All I can say is they better hurry up as there is another 97 unit going up with more in the plans and more units ongoing, new homes, new subdivisions and new businesses. A lot going on in this area. The population explosion in this area, will soon out-do some towns here on the island.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2020, 12:43 AM

City hypocrisy

Does anyone else find it super annoying that the city can proceed with the Fitzroy Street parking garage extension before it went through design review at the planning board, yet so many projects get delayed and dragged on at the design review stage?

Old Posted Jul 8, 2020, 10:19 AM

Here we go again another city approval appealed to IRAC

Does anyone know if this process will ever become a bit more challenging or expensive as so many approvals the city does are instantly challenged at IRAC? It’s undermining the credibility of the city.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/princ...ment-1.5641076

Old Posted Jul 8, 2020, 10:29 AM

Quote:
18 TRAINOR DR

The zoned area is Highway Commercial and townhouses and apartments are
permitted in this zone.
Proposal is to construct 3 - 20 unit mixed use apartments (60 units).
It presently is occupied by the Royalty Maples Cottages.

My beef here again is the buildings accentuate sprawl and aren't going to really impact the apartment shortage. They
need to build up and take advantage to reduce space. With these they will probably be filled immediately with this proposed concept.

Mr. NIMBY John Barrett and his band of NIMBY neighbours are asking council to reconsider the approval of this development. They have an IRAC appeal ready to go. I hope they get what they want, and then six floor buildings end up being approved.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2020, 4:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmith View Post
Here we go again another city approval appealed to IRAC

Does anyone know if this process will ever become a bit more challenging or expensive as so many approvals the city does are instantly challenged at IRAC? It’s undermining the credibility of the city.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/princ...ment-1.5641076
Yep, Charlottetown is becoming the hateful city. "Not in my backyard, go live somewhere else!" And when they don't get their way, off to IRAC they go!
I hope someone is collecting names of these NIMBYS so we can know who to blame for why our city is going downhill.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2020, 4:48 PM

Quote:
Mr. NIMBY John Barrett and his band of NIMBY neighbours are asking council to reconsider the approval of this development. They have an IRAC appeal ready to go. I hope they get what they want, and then six floor buildings end up being approved.
I see the photo of the house in the article was for sale back in Oct 2015. Just saying!

Old Posted Jul 8, 2020, 5:42 PM
Rjl

So true, a lot of the ppl in this city don’t like development and then they wonder why people won’t stay !

Old Posted Jul 8, 2020, 10:09 PM

P.E.I. Bioscience Industry Building More Space.

CBC NEWS PEI

A new 20,000-square-foot bio-manufacturing facility is being built in Charlottetown's West Royalty Industrial Park to support the burgeoning bioscience sector on P.E.I.

Rory Francis, CEO of P.E.I. BioAlliance, says the sector has "essentially doubled" over the last five years to become one of the top industries on the Island.

The bioscience sector includes more than 60 companies, 2,000 employees and $250 million in sales a year on P.E.I.

Construction will start right away. The new bio-manufacturing building is expected to be completed early in 2021.

Last edited by Siriusb; Jul 8, 2020 at 10:25 PM.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2020, 11:52 PM

NIMBY bad

Old Posted Jul 9, 2020, 9:31 PM

Quote:
If all they are concerned about is traffic, and they do say they are in favour of the development, so why the IRAC Appeal??
They aren't the only ones with traffic concerns, that's happening all over Greater Charlottetown. Something not jiving here!

Old Posted Jul 11, 2020, 12:35 PM

Quote:
FOUND IT!! It appears to be Subway on the corner. Its address is 480. The building isn't too far from where I live and I have noticed it has been awfully quiet with no traffic. I just thought maybe it was due to COVID and there was no students at that time. They do have a Subway on campus. So, it appears to
be approved for demo.
I don't think they are demolition this building, I think it will be a remodel for a new pizza restaurant franchise - Blaze Pizza https://www.blazepizza.com/.

Source: https://www.theguardian.pe.ca/busine...box=1594462727

Old Posted Jul 11, 2020, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy1 View Post
I don't think they are demolition this building, I think it will be a remodel for a new pizza restaurant franchise - Blaze Pizza https://www.blazepizza.com/.

There was a demolition permit issued on the week ending on June 26:

347-DEM-20 | 23-Jun-20 | 24-Jun-20 | APPROVED | 480 University Avenue | Demolition of commercial building | Darrin Dunsford |15-Jul-20

Maybe that has changed.

Fast-fired pizza restaurant reportedly buys former Subway location in Charlottetown

https://www.theguardian.pe.ca/busine...tetown-471991/

Should do well with the new 250 unit residence on UPEI that will be next door.

Last edited by Siriusb; Jul 17, 2020 at 1:35 AM.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2020, 1:35 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Right next to the university residences. They should do blazing good business.........

Old Posted Jul 11, 2020, 1:43 PM

Queensway Apartment Update

Remember this apartment proposal back a year or so ago on the paved lot beside the Superstore on
Queen St. The latest is the developer couldn't materialize a land deal but they continue to try to make a deal.
More to follow.....

Last edited by Siriusb; Jul 17, 2020 at 1:39 AM.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2020, 1:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

Right next to the university residences. They should do blazing good business.........
When the new 250 unit residence is completed, it should.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2020, 2:21 AM

Minna Jane Project

The permit approval for the footings was issued and days later the foundation
was started.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2020, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy1 View Post

That location is a nightmare to get into and out of. I was hoping the city would purchase the land and install a right hand turning lane / ramp onto University.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces