HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia

Old Posted Apr 24, 2020, 12:49 AM

That new TCC design looks great. $13M would build a pretty significant building in Kamloops though...

Old Posted Apr 25, 2020, 7:55 PM

The Marquess of Lorne

154171_8 , on Flickr

IMG_4262 , on Flickr

IMG_4260 , on Flickr

Looking on the website and some of the units in this building are huge. This is the largest one just under 2500 sqft. Looks like they were running out of names to call some of the rooms, haha. Curious how much it went for.

L-March-11-2020-1203x1600 , on Flickr

Old Posted Apr 26, 2020, 11:55 PM

The units are big. I talked to the developer last year and they designed it that way with higher end finishing because they're targeting 'down sizing' retirees. Most condos are built small so they're more affordable, but retirees don't want to downsize their expectations, they just want the convenience of not having a place to take care of so they can lock and go.

Found a page here where you can post questions about Marquess of Lorne if you want. With any luck, someone will answer it.

Old Posted May 7, 2020, 12:32 AM

Major TCH cheap out downgrade.

The expansion in Chase was just tendered, and without warning the interchange has been replaced with two at grade protected T intersections...

Seriously, every presentation and community consultation resource had it firmly set as an interchange with the full designs shown.

This is the contact info given:

Maike Schimpf
Project Manager
Telephone: 250 828-4976

Let them know this sudden 11th hour change is bullshit.

Old Posted May 8, 2020, 6:33 PM

The Hive Will Proceed

KTW reports that The Hive will proceed as planned.

Old Posted May 8, 2020, 9:45 PM

Good to hear! Makes sense since they've already secured an anchor tenant, but you never know with all that's going on.

Old Posted May 11, 2020, 4:45 PM

Here are a couple shots from around the North Shore. Sorry about the poor quality.

Houston Place on Tranquille between Simcoe and Sidney Ave is at full hight and has quite the presence in that area. Makes for a nice entrance to the Tranquille corridor.

Thisonetoo by Thomas Johansen, on Flickr[/IMG]

First building at Spirit Square is done and Second one is well underway.

Thisone by Thomas Johansen, on Flickr

Old Posted May 12, 2020, 3:17 AM

Nice drive-bys, haha. Great to see those developments come together. From what was there before, they're both great additions!

I was reading that the developer of the Hive is looking into a residential tower now in the second building as opposed to an all commercial development.

All Commercial option:
IMG_4292, on Flickr

Commercial/Residential option:
IMG_4293 , on Flickr

Old Posted May 12, 2020, 5:03 PM

I like the residential option a lot. Would be awesome to have a modern residential tower downtown.

Ord road is seeing quite a bit of development too. Must be a couple hundred units on three different developments including a new trailer park. Still surprised how close we build to the main rail lines.

Old Posted May 12, 2020, 6:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamloops.Dane View Post
I like the residential option a lot. Would be awesome to have a modern residential tower downtown.

Ord road is seeing quite a bit of development too. Must be a couple hundred units on three different developments including a new trailer park. Still surprised how close we build to the main rail lines.
One day if we can pull off a double-track all the way from Kamloops to the Lower Mainland, think of all the glory of being close to the railway.
If we can electrify freight and passenger services like in Europe or Asia, then trains of the future can be a lot quieter.

Hydrogen train in Germany
New VIA passenger commuter/HST trains:
Hopefully VIA can also enhance the train service here.

Old Posted May 12, 2020, 10:43 PM

Apparently, The Hive will be the first substantial development in Downtown Kamloops since 2007. Time to end that streak.

Old Posted May 13, 2020, 12:18 AM

Residential option in the Hive

I'd also like to see the residential option added to the Hive in downtown Kamloops. We need to get the population density up in the downtown core to make it more viable for the kinds of businesses that make the downtown the kind of place people want to spend their time. More funky cafes, more & better restaurant options, one day even a food market.

Old Posted May 20, 2020, 12:40 AM

I noticed the apartment on 6th & Victoria St is well underway. Construction fencing is up, and looked like forming already happening.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2020, 9:08 PM

Finally working full time back downtown. Did a quick walk around on my lunch today.

RIH starting to be more noticeable from a distance. Didn't have time to walk any closer. Took these from St. Paul Street.

June , on Flickr

June , on Flickr

Looks like they're building the Lightwell with pre-fab panels. Must be why this is going up so fast. Saw them doing a lift today.

June , on Flickr

Mixed-use apartment on 6th & Victoria was doing a pour today. Almost up to grade.

June , on Flickr

Old Posted Jun 16, 2020, 10:08 PM

Council approved the DP for The Hive today. Looks like they added a floor in the final design.

Hive , on Flickr

Old Posted Jun 23, 2020, 8:12 PM

Thank you for the update on the Hive. Hope to see all three buildings going up in short order. This is a great project and all, but it is hard to not feel a bit jealous when you see the stuff going up in Kelowna. Like the new UBC project https://news.ok.ubc.ca/2020/06/03/ub...owna-presence/

After resent board meeting at TRU, it sounds like they are going ahead with either the science or business building late summer. Guess they are hoping for some economic stimulus money. Otherwise, I might be difficult as the financial situation is complicated.

Big new sub division in Aberdeen:https://www.kamloopsthisweek.com/new...een-1.24158185

Old Posted Jun 24, 2020, 6:39 PM

Ya Kelowna's had some really nice buildings go up in their downtown for sure that I'd love to see here. Not that jealous of the UBCO project. TRU's so close to downtown here, compared to UBCO that's on the outskirts of town in Kelowna and the development of TRU far outpaces UBCO that's only a satellite campus to the main one in Vancouver. I'd rather see TRU densify like they are, than spread out over town. Makes sense in Kelowna but not here.

That Aberdeen development is a whole lot of urban sprawl. I guess single family lots are needed and good how it includes a commercial centre and school.

Edin , on Flickr

Old Posted Jun 24, 2020, 6:53 PM

Council approved the DP for a North Shore eyesore. The old bowlertime building is getting a much needed facelift for commercial units. A new Tim Hortons was also approved on this lot a couple months ago.

York , on Flickr

Old Posted Jun 25, 2020, 9:45 PM

Yes, I think keeping TRU development on campus is a good thing but any one of the down town Kelowna projects (Water street, Brooklyn, Westcorp Hotel etc.) would be a game changer for Kamloops.

I wonder if the Aberdeen project will eventually become an issue with the proposed mine. Getting pretty close to the proposed site.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2020, 6:04 PM

No, that mine is never going to happen. Edinburgh will be completed before that comes back, and having residential that much closer will be very expensive for the mine. Don't think it will ever be feasible.

The Hive is a game changer for the downtown. So glad to see construction started on that site. Just because it's not a tower doesn't mean it won't have a huge impact. It's an entire city block going from a parking lot to premium office space. I think that project will have more of an impact than if a tower was going in that would probably take up only half the parking lot.

I've also seen concept plans for the Kelson Group development on Nicola St. Showed 2 towers going up so will be interesting when/if they announce that.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia