HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Jun 12, 2020, 2:15 PM

that's some nice heft being added to the downtown! I like it!

Old Posted Jun 12, 2020, 3:11 PM

Great work on these! I'd love to see the future renderings beside the currently existing images for comparison.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2020, 3:46 PM

Looks great!

Old Posted Jun 12, 2020, 5:40 PM
It's Hammer Time

This looks fantastic.

Hopefully the majority of these will happen within this decade. The next decade it would be nice to start getting more high-rise from the downtown to the waterfront, start adding more density.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2020, 2:13 PM

Its still missing two buildings I’m waiting on responses from city planning to get the architectural plans for too

One right behind Kiwi, and another close to the Hamilton GO station.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2020, 6:12 PM

Good to know that there's a couple more in the pipeline that I'll hopefully be able to add in the near future! I think Hamilton is one of the most exciting cities to watch right now, being able to piggyback off of the Toronto explosion while still being separate from the GTA.

I'm looking forward to seeing it change over the decade. I'm pretty confident that most of these will be able to make it through COVID-19, even if they do change a little bit in the process. I doubt we'll see significant scaling back because none of these are really all that huge on their own.

Come See My Work: Mississauga Future Skyline Model | Pan-Canadian Future Skylines Project - Kelowna, Saskatoon, Windsor, London, Hamilton, Niagara Falls, Barrie, Ottawa, Halifax​​​ | Astrophotography Thread

Old Posted Jun 22, 2020, 4:17 PM

Also, while the elevations don't provide an exact height, the tallest here appears to fall around 185m in height.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2020, 9:11 PM
Ham-burgher

I love these. Since moving to Kirkendall I've come down the 403 more often, and love that view. So including the potential future one is a nice touch, never mind the other angles. Thanks!

Deserves a re-post to the new page.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericmacm View Post
I'm back with the next iteration of the Hamilton future skyline. In this version, I have updated the massing of 235 Main West, and have added 200 Market, 61 Wilson, and the Pier 8 landmark tower, which I will be referring to as 57 Discovery (same address as the Pier 8 boardwalk area). I was working on modelling some smaller developments as well, such as 467 Charlton, but I decided against that since they made no impact on the skyline. You may still see a couple of these floating around in my renderings.

The list so far (by addresses and number of towers):

15 Queen South (1)
22 Bay South (1)
22 George (1)
43 King East (2)
57 Discovery (1)
61 Wilson (3)
71 Rebecca (1)
80 Hunter West (3)
98 James South (1)
112 King East (4)
154 Main (1)
163 Jackson (2)
200 Market (4)
212 King William (1)
213 King West (1)
221 John South (2)
235 Main West (1)
299 John South (3)
354 King West (2)

Total # of new towers in skyline: 35

Old Posted Jun 25, 2020, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
I love these. Since moving to Kirkendall I've come down the 403 more often, and love that view. So including the potential future one is a nice touch, never mind the other angles. Thanks!

Deserves a re-post to the new page.
I'm glad that you enjoy my work! I figured the 403 angle would be a nice touch. When I used to live in Mississauga, part of the trip to my cottage involved driving the 403 to around Brantford area before using the local roads. I always remember driving back toward Mississauga and seeing this view of Hamilton, it was always so striking.

Come See My Work: Mississauga Future Skyline Model | Pan-Canadian Future Skylines Project - Kelowna, Saskatoon, Windsor, London, Hamilton, Niagara Falls, Barrie, Ottawa, Halifax​​​ | Astrophotography Thread

Old Posted Jul 16, 2020, 4:53 PM

Hey guys, I'm back with the next iteration of Hamilton's skyline. I've added the three newest proposals - 1 Jarvis, 75 James South, and 77 James North (Hamilton City Centre). The Hamilton City Centre development is a total monster and fills out the area very well. I estimated the heights of these towers at ~100m for the 30s towers, and ~82m for the 24s tower. I will correct them once the actual materials have been made available.

The list so far (by addresses and number of towers):

1 Jarvis (1)
15 Queen South (1)
22 Bay South (1)
22 George (1)
43 King East (2)
57 Discovery (1)
61 Wilson (3)
71 Rebecca (1)
75 James South (1)
77 James North (4)
80 Hunter West (3)
98 James South (1)
112 King East (4)
154 Main (1)
163 Jackson (2)
200 Market (4)
212 King William (1)
213 King West (1)
221 John South (2)
235 Main West (1)
299 John South (3)
354 King West (2)

Total # of new towers in skyline: 41

Old Posted Jul 16, 2020, 7:20 PM
Hamilton Historian

your images are missing the police station - I know it's not a highrise but it's still weird just seeing it as a dirt plot..

wonder what the plans are for the giant parking lot behind alectra. That lot always stood out the most for me - original site of the eatons cotton factory and a couple churches.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2020, 8:21 PM

The tabletop skyline is growing

Old Posted Jul 21, 2020, 7:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawrylyshyn View Post
The tabletop skyline is growing
You mean the great wall of Hamilton.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2020, 8:21 PM

I'll start complaining when more buildings start construction. Right now only a handful are actually under construction. I hope we see many more soon.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2020, 8:45 PM

I wouldn't worry about Hamilton keeping this tabletop look forever. Even though there is currently a lot proposed, it will still take many decades to redevelop the swaths of empty parking lots and low density buildings, and I'm sure that there will be an easing of height limits eventually, much later down the road.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2020, 11:14 AM

One of the biggest farces in Hamilton's history is this height limit... It serves no purpose ... Cities that have height limits have them in place to preserve a view of a special monument or building ... Hamilton has it to preserve the view of an escarpment that literally goes on forever and a lake the size of an ocean ....we need to find out who actually wants the height limit and why they truly want it ... probably just some millionaire living at the edge of the escarpment lol

Old Posted Jul 22, 2020, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamiltonBoyInToronto View Post
One of the biggest farces in Hamilton's history is this height limit... It serves no purpose ... Cities that have height limits have them in place to preserve a view of a special monument or building ... Hamilton has it to preserve the view of an escarpment that literally goes on forever and a lake the size of an ocean ....we need to find out who actually wants the height limit and why they truly want it ... probably just some millionaire living at the edge of the escarpment lol

Durand Neighbourhood Association has to be putting money in someone's pocket. This whole 30 story crap didn't come up until Television City. It was the DNA making all the fuss. I bug Thorne about this all the time on Twitter.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2020, 2:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamiltonBoyInToronto View Post
The only height limits that make sense are those as a result of airport flight paths (Saskatoon and formerly Edmonton), and Ottawa's height limit around downtown for the sake of Parliament Hill. Hamilton, along with Vancouver and Montreal, all have nonsensical height limits and restrictions.

It wouldn't surprise me to hear that special interest groups are influencing it. It won't last forever, though. There will eventually be some give, all it takes is one really tall project to set a precedent and then eventually more will start working their way through.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2020, 3:14 PM

The Hamilton one is the least strict height limit, in that it has already been broken.

Basically Hamilton has done something very unique in the province and made 30 storey development in the downtown core as-of-right. This means that going through the rezoning process isn't as much of a requirement like it is, in, say, Toronto, where the height limit as of right is often ridiculously low like 8 storeys or something.

If a developer wants to push the height limit, they can rezone. But the way the system has been designed by the city, the path of least resistance means that most are simply sticking to the limit and doing their stuff as of right. The approval process before construction is only around a year that way, while if you rezone to go to, say, 45 storeys, you add another 12-18 months to the approvals process. Most developers just don't see the extra time as worth it for the marginal amount of additional density they get from it.

There is actually already precedent for breaking the limit anyway, with Television city. It sits about 20 metres above the escarpment. So it can be done.

Also quite frankly I don't hate the height limit. It's allowing the growth to spread out a bit more into more projects, rather than focus in a few 45 storey towers. It'll let the city "fill out" faster.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2020, 6:25 PM

Hamilton also has a habit of approving additional height through Minor Variance, even when an Official Plan Amendment should technically be required. I'd prefer if they removed the arbitrary escarpment height limit from the Official Plan, adds unnecessary complication especially now that it has been challenged successfully by a few projects.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton