HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Feb 26, 2020, 6:38 PM

Future Hamilton Skyline Renderings

Hey guys! I've been working on a number of SketchUp skyline renderings for cities that haven't received any attention lately. Today, I figured I'd start working on one for Hamilton. I've got a bulk of the downtown developments modeled so far and I intend to keep updating things as more proposals get further refined. I added 71 Rebecca along with the other proposals even though it is cancelled/on hold in the meantime.

Please let me know of any that I have missed! I hope you all enjoy this!

Here's a list of buildings so far (by addresses):

15 Queen South
22 Bay South
22 George
43 King East
71 Rebecca
98 James South
154 Main
163 Jackson
299 John South

Come See My Work: Mississauga Future Skyline Model | Pan-Canadian Future Skylines Project - Kelowna, Saskatoon, Windsor, London, Hamilton, Niagara Falls, Barrie, Ottawa, Halifax​​​ | Astrophotography Thread

Old Posted Feb 26, 2020, 7:04 PM

Looks good!
You're missing the Corktown Plaza twin-tower project and Royal Connaught Tower.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2020, 7:27 PM

Awesome job, thank you for this!

Old Posted Feb 26, 2020, 7:42 PM

Quote:
Please let me know of any that I have missed!
212 King William St
KIWI Condos on King William

Excellent job! Keep it up!

Old Posted Feb 26, 2020, 7:42 PM

great job!! wish Hamilton would embrace some height

Old Posted Feb 26, 2020, 10:24 PM
Burger Connoisseur

This is really cool, appreciate you doing this!

Old Posted Feb 27, 2020, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 905er View Post
great job!! wish Hamilton would embrace some height
It'll come soon enough, it will just take time. There is still a ton of space downtown that could be occupied by taller development in the future and it won't run out anytime soon.

I don't see the height limit lasting long enough for it to permanently stunt the skyline. Right now, the height limit is unfortunate, but not debilitating, since the amount of developments happening is relatively small. It will absolutely take some time, but if Hamilton keeps gaining steam from GTA spillover, the height limit will start to become a big, highly evident limiting factor on downtown growth.

Come See My Work: Mississauga Future Skyline Model | Pan-Canadian Future Skylines Project - Kelowna, Saskatoon, Windsor, London, Hamilton, Niagara Falls, Barrie, Ottawa, Halifax​​​ | Astrophotography Thread

Old Posted Feb 27, 2020, 3:19 AM

Echoing the thanks here - very cool stuff

Old Posted Feb 27, 2020, 4:01 PM

The height limit has already been broken by Television city, which is about 25m taller than allowed.

I don’t see the limit as too bad as it will allow Hamilton’s growth to “spread out” more. Instead of one 600 unit tower we will see 2 300 unit towers.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2020, 4:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
The height limit has already been broken by Television city, which is about 25m taller than allowed.

I don’t see the limit as too bad as it will allow Hamilton’s growth to “spread out” more. Instead of one 600 unit tower we will see 2 300 unit towers.
This is better for underutilized infrastructure as well as growing cycling and transit plans. Putting everyone in one place leads to issues with financing and justifying growth of transit and cycling infra. It continues the idea of everyone moving in to one spot and out home in another spot. We need more people within walking, cycling and transit distance of work, grocery and cultural items like dinner and cafes. There are plenty of intensification area around the city where the city could easily triple in population within its existing borders.

That said, a nice skyline is definitely something to hope for with a moderately bustling downtown, and the current height limit does not mean that building *cannot* be taller. If a good looking building comes along in the right location, council may choose to approve it. Jason Thorne has specifically said this to me personally. There is an as of right height, plus an overall maximum, but that is simply the max without going through hoops and proving to council this is a good development.

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Feb 27, 2020, 9:46 PM

Would hope that some of the new builds light up their caps , maybe create some visual interest if all going to max out height at 30 storeys

Old Posted Mar 10, 2020, 6:58 PM

I've got a new update on the Hamilton skyline. I've added a few more developments to the model and it's starting to paint a better image of how the city will fill out.

The list so far (by addresses):

15 Queen South
22 Bay South
22 George
43 King East
71 Rebecca
98 James South
112 King East
154 Main
163 Jackson
212 King William
221 John South
299 John South
354 King West

Old Posted Mar 10, 2020, 7:57 PM
It's Hammer Time

Nicely done!

Don't forget this one: King/Caroline, 38 fl. It's a Vrancor project too, so there's a good chance it'll get built.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=238499

Old Posted Mar 10, 2020, 8:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
Nicely done!

Don't forget this one: King/Caroline, 38 fl. It's a Vrancor project too, so there's a good chance it'll get built.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=238499
I didn't know about that one! I was wondering what that lot was going to be used for since it's right next to two proposed/under construction buildings. I quite like how it looks, I will add it in sometime soon.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2020, 6:24 PM
Hamilton Historian

Not sure whether to add this or not but this is proposed on george st as well in that little blank corner you left beside the one currently being build and the student residence they will build:

Old Posted Mar 19, 2020, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronamut View Post
Not sure whether to add this or not but this is proposed on george st as well in that little blank corner you left beside the one currently being build and the student residence they will build:

That is the exact development that SteelTown recommended I add a couple of posts back. I have completed the model for this building, there are a couple more I want to do before I post the next iteration of the skyline.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2020, 3:21 PM

Here's the next version of the Hamilton skyline. I've had a lot more time on my hands to work on this lately, given the circumstances. I added 235 Main West, 213 King West, and the City Hall South towers, which I will be referring to as 80 Hunter West address-wise.

The list so far (by addresses and number of towers):

15 Queen South (1)
22 Bay South (1)
22 George (1)
43 King East (2)
71 Rebecca (1)
80 Hunter West (3)
98 James South (1)
112 King East (4)
154 Main (1)
163 Jackson (2)
212 King William (1)
213 King West (1)
221 John South (2)
235 Main West (1)
299 John South (3)
354 King West (2)

Last edited by ericmacm; Mar 20, 2020 at 6:31 PM.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2020, 5:01 PM
Bruatalism gets no respec

thanks for this. gives me hope. I especially like how these futures are balanced around the core. east/west north/south.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2020, 6:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by realcity View Post
thanks for this. gives me hope. I especially like how these futures are balanced around the core. east/west north/south.
I'm glad it's giving you hope.

There's a lot going on in Hamilton these days. I'm optimistic, and willing to shoulder that a good chunk of what is in this model (27 new towers in total) will end up getting built, even if some get chopped down a bit more in height. Regardless of this, the increased presence of towers will help build up the momentum and hopefully keep things going.

There's still a lot that will be added to the model in the near future, including the 5-tower Hamilton City Centre development, the 3-tower John and Wilson development, the 4-tower 200 Market Street development, and additional potential towers from the FirstOntario Centre redevelopment.

Last edited by ericmacm; Mar 27, 2020 at 4:37 PM.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2020, 6:11 PM

I'm back with the next iteration of the Hamilton future skyline. In this version, I have updated the massing of 235 Main West, and have added 200 Market, 61 Wilson, and the Pier 8 landmark tower, which I will be referring to as 57 Discovery (same address as the Pier 8 boardwalk area). I was working on modelling some smaller developments as well, such as 467 Charlton, but I decided against that since they made no impact on the skyline. You may still see a couple of these floating around in my renderings.

The list so far (by addresses and number of towers):

15 Queen South (1)
22 Bay South (1)
22 George (1)
43 King East (2)
57 Discovery (1)
61 Wilson (3)
71 Rebecca (1)
80 Hunter West (3)
98 James South (1)
112 King East (4)
154 Main (1)
163 Jackson (2)
200 Market (4)
212 King William (1)
213 King West (1)
221 John South (2)
235 Main West (1)
299 John South (3)
354 King West (2)

Total # of new towers in skyline: 35

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton