HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted May 25, 2018, 3:25 AM

Great we all agree! Get the rubber stamp, shovels, and cranes. Where is the NIMBY crowd. Incredible if the City turns down 600+ rental units.

Old Posted May 25, 2018, 4:05 AM

The vibe in the room was generally pretty positive. I didn't hear many complaints or concerns re: this project.

Old Posted May 25, 2018, 5:05 AM

Royal Cannaught high-rise phases better hurry up; there's going to be alot more competition in the next couple years if these get approved.

Next up: Runco's across the street.

Last edited by anactualalien; May 25, 2018 at 5:16 AM.

Old Posted May 25, 2018, 3:06 PM

New post from Brandon Donnelly...not sure if anyone here has the technical skill to extract these photos into large size.

http://brandondonnelly.com/post/1742...corktown-plaza

Old Posted May 25, 2018, 6:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRTfan View Post
New post from Brandon Donnelly...not sure if anyone here has the technical skill to extract these photos into large size.

http://brandondonnelly.com/post/1742...corktown-plaza
Here's a link to each photo, in order of appearance:

Old Posted May 25, 2018, 7:29 PM

Stunning....

I really hope Brad Lamb wins at the OMB so we can leave behind the hillbilly nonsense and start rebuilding this city.

If these buildings come in a hair above the escarpment, you know the anti-business crowd running city hall will vote it down. NIMBYs+no vision=stagnation

Old Posted May 26, 2018, 12:22 AM
It's Hammer Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattgrande View Post
Sweet jesus that's a gorgeous podium

Old Posted May 26, 2018, 12:37 AM

She's a big one!

Old Posted May 26, 2018, 2:22 AM

I've examined every aspect of this from street-wall to podium design, materials, colours, tower design etc.... I literally can't find anything negative about this.

Also, they're both shorter than the Olympia a few blocks away so hopefully no probs with height.

Old Posted May 26, 2018, 3:27 AM

with these being all rentals and baically in line with City/Nimby wishes on height , what could possibly stop this project , financing? So many concept projects on the cusp, only a handful though that are swinging hammers!

Old Posted May 26, 2018, 3:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King&James View Post
with these being all rentals and baically in line with City/Nimby wishes on height , what could possibly stop this project , financing? So many concept projects on the cusp, only a handful though that are swinging hammers!

well, I've not seen the elevation drawings for this, but I suspect one of the buildings is just slightly above the 'escarpment'. As dumb as it sounds, city hall is acting like that is THE defining planning issue now that matters over all else.
They've turned down hundreds of new rentals over the last couple years due to neighbours complaining etc.....
I suppose if enough residents who live in Corktown are supportive it'll pass. A crappy way to run a city, but with a total absence of leadership that's how it goes.

Last edited by LRTfan; May 26, 2018 at 1:15 PM.

Old Posted May 27, 2018, 1:35 PM
Bruatalism gets no respec

It's Fred, Thorne and Farr. GM has been around forever and the first we heard of a escarpment height/density restriction was Thorne. All yours fanboy. Because he made two parking areas for musicians. That was the #itsthelittlethings he championed. how about #thebigthings. Like this. There was a time that this kind of proposal would have been front page for the Spec.

Old Posted May 28, 2018, 2:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by realcity View Post
It's Fred, Thorne and Farr. GM has been around forever and the first we heard of a escarpment height/density restriction was Thorne. All yours fanboy. Because he made two parking areas for musicians. That was the #itsthelittlethings he championed. how about #thebigthings. Like this. There was a time that this kind of proposal would have been front page for the Spec.

I was a fan of Thorne when he arrived, but this move has me hoping for a quick change. Single-handedly killing much needed development downtown to appease some NIMBYs

Old Posted May 28, 2018, 1:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRTfan View Post
I was a fan of Thorne when he arrived, but this move has me hoping for a quick change. Single-handedly killing much needed development downtown to appease some NIMBYs
I think sadly Farr is about as good as you're going to get as ward 2 councillor. The people running against him like Nicole Smith or Cameron Kroetsch would be disastrous for downtown development.

I'm not even sure Farr really believes in the 30 storey limit, more that he thought the usual loud NIMBYs in the ward were for it and thought it would help him out, although now they all seem to have turned on him for the white elephant Discovery Centre.

Old Posted May 28, 2018, 3:30 PM

Quote:
Cameron Kroetsch would be disastrous for downtown development.
I don't know about Nicole Smith but I have talked with Cameron Kroetsch on numerous occasions regarding developments and I really don't think this is true. If anything my conversations with him have been mostly about how frustrating it is to access development documents from the city, and how inaccessible the planning process is to the average person. I know he's a big advocate for making development application information and documents public and digital, basically easier to access in general.

I can't really speak to the height issue, but he was at this public meeting and generally seemed supportive of the project. Height wasn't really an issue for anyone who attended, which was kind of wild to be honest. More of the comments were about the landscaping, retail and parking. The big ask from the NA seemed to be some sort of space to use for community meetings, which everyone on the development team seemed receptive to.

Old Posted May 28, 2018, 4:16 PM

Well if he is against the 30 storey height limit, that would be great.

Old Posted May 28, 2018, 9:10 PM

Just want the first 31 storey or greater project to challenge the planning doc. Maybe a brave soul to put up a twin for Century 21 at Jackson and Catharine - that would be hilarious.

Old Posted May 30, 2018, 1:45 AM
Bruatalism gets no respec

McCabe wasn't so bad I bet he wouldn't support the escarpment densiity limit.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2018, 8:09 PM

this with Metro .. everything we need !

Old Posted Jul 6, 2018, 10:45 PM

one of the great things about living in Hamilton as design/development junkies is the plethora of gold being pumped out constantly in Toronto these days. It's awesome to visit regularly and see the amazing new architecture and design standards. Being a realist, I have no expectation that Hamilton will shake off the small-town 1970's mindset in my lifetime, so TO gives me my big city fix.

However, for a Hamilton connection to the latest, greatest announcement in TO, this new tower proposal on Yonge involves the firm behind the Corktown Plaza redevelopment here.

https://twitter.com/mikejcw/status/1015357517529075712

Nice to see some seriously legit builders/developers like these folks and Lamb Dev poking around in Hamilton.

That new TO proposal....WOW

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton