HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Aug 17, 2020, 6:00 PM

^Agreed...I posted something similar in the building's individual thread. Their website looks like a college class project, wouldn't hold my breath.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2020, 8:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post
this proposal certainly came out of nowhere... i'll remain cautiously optimistic:

New $250m skyscraper, The Block, proposed for 2nd Ave N Birmingham

development website:

https://theblock.live/

this would have the tallest occupiable floor in the state (i believe the RSA Tower in mobile, with its spire, would still be taller though)
It's after 3 pm and I have not seen any other Birmingham media outlet even mentioning this project. But I really hope this happens, Birmingham could use a shot in the arm right now.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2020, 9:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamablazer View Post
It's after 3 pm and I have not seen any other Birmingham media outlet even mentioning this project. But I really hope this happens, Birmingham could use a shot in the arm right now.
Finally, The Birmingham Business Journal has picked up on the project with a few more pictures not seen before.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2020, 1:02 AM
Burming Hammer

definitely glad to see the BBJ writing about it... although i don't have a subscription.

do they say who would fund the project? is it all from that TUF group?

Old Posted Aug 18, 2020, 1:34 AM

This seems like something you’d see in Austin, Nashville, or Miami. Color me skeptical, but would be awesome if this comes to fruition.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2020, 2:29 AM

Quote:
definitely glad to see the BBJ writing about it... although i don't have a subscription.

do they say who would fund the project? is it all from that TUF group?
Sorry, I do not have a subscription either. BBJ showed only pictures. But according to TUF The Ultimate Fan website, they seem self funded with a lot of athletes and entertainers putting up the money.

Last edited by Bamablazer; Aug 18, 2020 at 4:53 AM. Reason: Spelling

Old Posted Aug 23, 2020, 1:48 PM

Quote:
some random updates:

Protective Stadium (pic captured from the webcam at https://www.protectivestadium.com/):

Ascend:

Lakeview Green:

Students are filling up the Ascend apartments quickly, all they parking spaces
are filled and they have starting using the Pickwick's parking deck.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2020, 2:44 PM
Nashville born and raised

Quote:
Finally, The Birmingham Business Journal has picked up on the project with a few more pictures not seen before.
I put some of the other renderings from the BBJ on one sheet (to save hosting space). Hope you don't mind.

This would be game changing for Birmingham. Hope it happens.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2020, 3:27 PM

That is butt effing ugly, sorry, but this would look totally out of place in Birmingham..

Old Posted Aug 23, 2020, 6:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidTenn1 View Post
I put some of the other renderings from the BBJ on one sheet (to save hosting space). Hope you don't mind.

Thank you! and yes it would be a game changer!!! its located on a very prominent corner.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2020, 7:36 PM

I can’t decide if I like the design or not but it would definitely be a game changer for the skyline of Birmingham. It’s a shame that Huntsville can’t build skyscrapers downtown which means that even though it’s soon to become the most populous city in the state it will never look like Birmingham with its dense core and stock of gorgeous old buildings. I was in HSV a lot over the summer as both my parents passed away and I was really surprised by all of the activity and construction in Huntsville’s core. Even my husband commented that he could live there if it wasn’t for the politics.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2020, 9:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdawg View Post
I can’t decide if I like the design or not but it would definitely be a game changer for the skyline of Birmingham. It’s a shame that Huntsville can’t build skyscrapers downtown which means that even though it’s soon to become the most populous city in the state it will never look like Birmingham with its dense core and stock of gorgeous old buildings. I was in HSV a lot over the summer as both my parents passed away and I was really surprised by all of the activity and construction in Huntsville’s core. Even my husband commented that he could live there if it wasn’t for the politics.
That off center design makes it hard for me to like but if it is built maybe It will grow on me. Besides it would be hard to ignore. So sorry for your loss, one parent is hard can not imagine loosing two.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2020, 5:18 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidTenn1 View Post

Looks to be a proposed 667' tall (based on the diagram in the upper right corner)! If built to this design, it will definitely have the highest occupied floor in Alabama. However, RSA Battle House Tower, in Mobile, will still be the tallest building in the state by 78'.

Last edited by ILUVSAT; Aug 24, 2020 at 6:02 PM.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2020, 5:32 PM
Burming Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdawg View Post
sorry to hear about your parents. huntsville is my hometown too.

huntsville definitely has a lot going on, but i don't think there's a demand for skyscrapers in the core (i assume you're referring to the geology of downtown preventing skyscrapers being built? i'm not sure how true that actually is). with the bulk of employment at NASA / Redstone / Research Park, i'm not sure you're going to see many tall buildings downtown. there are several projects in the 5-7 story range though.

and yes, most populous city perhaps. most populous metro, not for a long long time. birmingham isn't exactly sitting idle, either, having just completed two 18-story residential buildings.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2020, 5:40 PM
Burming Hammer

Quote:
Thank you! and yes it would be a game changer!!! its located on a very prominent corner.
it would definitely give city federal and the heaviest corner some company. although as mentioned i do wonder how such a modern/post-modern design will look next to those neo classical towers.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2020, 9:30 PM

Quote:
it would definitely give city federal and the heaviest corner some company. although as mentioned i do wonder how such a modern/post-modern design will look next to those neo classical towers.
Birmingham is NOT a city of height...Bham needs a few more 25-30 floor buildings. This thing is not only horrendous, but would be totally out of place in the small skyline.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2020, 10:23 PM

As far as Birmingham not being a “city of height” 667’ is fairly tall but not overly so. It would fit fine in Birmingham. The design, however, is awful. If you’re trying to do the trendy “box” thing look at something similar to Nashville’s soon to be built fraternal twins 801 and 900 Church St. Those are how it’s done!

Old Posted Aug 24, 2020, 10:26 PM
Future God

I want to love this proposal (assuming it's even a serious proposal) because I am very, very fond of The Ham and want it to succeed and progress, but at the same time... man... this design is just a train wreck, in my opinion. The architects are trying WAY too hard to be 'abstract.'

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Aug 24, 2020, 10:37 PM
Burming Hammer

for what it's worth, it's clear from the rendering (especially the skyscraper portion) that this is VERY conceptual / schematic.

it would also have to go through the Design Review Committee.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2020, 12:50 PM

That design is just awful. Wow. It looks like someone pasted a few renderings on top of each other and said, "done!"

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations