HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 4:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRitsman View Post
As someone who regulars Club77 for events and with friends, I hope they are able to find a new space as large and as usable as that location. I do hope it doesn't remain open for long in that location for exactly these concerns. But I think people are too quick to want to force a shut down on an otherwise successful business and one that is lacking anywhere outside Toronto.
I just don't know whether Club 77 is the type of entertainment venue that residents want in Ward 2. There was the shooting and death that occurred there and the neighboring businesses and residents have been pretty sour on it ever since.

I don't wish for their business to take a hit, but It doesn't really blend in well with King William's restaurant row, this urban park, etc. I'm not sure if this is the right location for a nightclub anymore.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 4:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamilton23 View Post
I just don't know whether Club 77 is the type of entertainment venue that residents want in Ward 2. There was the shooting and death that occurred there and the neighboring businesses and residents have been pretty sour on it ever since.

I don't wish for their business to take a hit, but It doesn't really blend in well with King William's restaurant row, this urban park, etc. I'm not sure if this is the right location for a nightclub anymore.
Well I'm not sure where it would go other than downtown. There isn't enough of a clientele outside the core.

Someone was shot in front of Rebel in Toronto too and yet it's packed every weekend. I've seen Young the Giant, Lights, Matthew Good, Our Lady Peace, at Rebel, and seeing Loud Luxury next month there. Someone being shot out front hasn't changed anyone's opinion on Rebel, so I'm not sure why everyone rags on 77 for a random person shooting someone outside there club. Could happen outside any bar or establishment, especially one that serves alcohol.

I've seen Delta Heavy, Getter, and seeing Dr. Ozi in January at Club77, and a few friends that hate Hamilton had a great time at the country bar section, and I know many people that go there every weekend that are the definition of not sketchy, many from Burlington.

The idea of Club77 being sketchy literally comes from a single asshole shooting someone and everyone's judgement of people in their 20s enjoying getting drunk and clubbing and/or raving to some EDM artists.

If 77 closes, I'll have to got to shithole, dirty, and honestly much more dangerous Hess St for that occasional club scene, and likely exactly zero well known artists, as Hess is really only known for their Soundcloud Djs.

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 4:30 PM

Quote:
Well I'm not sure where it would go other than downtown. There isn't enough of a clientele outside the core.

Someone was shot in front of Rebel in Toronto too and yet it's packed every weekend. I've seen Young the Giant, Lights, Matthew Good, Our Lady Peace, at Rebel, and seeing Loud Luxury next month there. Someone being shot out front hasn't changed anyone's opinion on Rebel, so I'm not sure why everyone rags on 77 for a random person shooting someone outside there club. Could happen outside any bar or establishment, especially one that serves alcohol.

I've seen Delta Heavy, Getter, and seeing Dr. Ozi in January at Club77, and a few friends that hate Hamilton had a great time at the country bar section, and I know many people that go there every weekend that are the definition of not sketchy, many from Burlington.

The idea of Club77 being sketchy literally comes from a single asshole shooting someone and everyone's judgement of people in their 20s enjoying getting drunk and clubbing and/or raving to some EDM artists.

If 77 closes, I'll have to got to shithole, dirty, and honestly much more dangerous Hess St for that occasional club scene, and likely exactly zero well known artists, as Hess is really only known for their Soundcloud Djs.

Club 77 is an interesting outlier. It really is the only nightclub in the area, but this area is seeing a lot of growth and development. It doesn't fit all that well with what's happening in the surrounding areas. Do the owners of the nightclub also own the property?

Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 5:17 PM

If someone renovated one of the old corner buildings in the international village section of King I could see it doing as well or better. Not sure how the BIA would like it though.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 6:12 PM

I have less concerns about 77 patrons and more about it being used as an outdoor shooting gallery. Hopefully their can be enough activities there that people feel safe in.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 6:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpgq View Post
I have less concerns about 77 patrons and more about it being used as an outdoor shooting gallery. Hopefully their can be enough activities there that people feel safe in.
I have nothing against club 77 or its patrons. I just don't think that it makes sense to have an outdoor park pretty much behind it. I agree about what you're saying about people shooting up there too. That would be another concern that I would have as many people currently use the old bus terminal on the other side of the park for this purpose... It'll be interesting, to say the least.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 6:27 PM

Quote:
I have nothing against club 77 or its patrons. I just don't think that it makes sense to have an outdoor park pretty much behind it. I agree about what you're saying about people shooting up there too. That would be another concern that I would have as many people currently use the old bus terminal on the other side of the park for this purpose... It'll be interesting, to say the least.
Well that's because it's a safe injection site.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 6:29 PM

Quote:
Well that's because it's a safe injection site.
I'm aware of that. I don't know if it makes sense to have a safe injection site on one side of the park and a nightclub on the other. I wouldn't be surprised if that injection site is relocated.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 6:41 PM

Quote:
I'm aware of that. I don't know if it makes sense to have a safe injection site on one side of the park and a nightclub on the other. I wouldn't be surprised if that injection site is relocated.
Well 71 Rebecca has been approved, so it will have to be moved:

http://www.skyscraperpage.com/forum/...229309&page=10

Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 6:45 PM

Quote:
Well 71 Rebecca has been approved, so it will have to be moved:

http://www.skyscraperpage.com/forum/...229309&page=10
Oh okay. I wasn't sure if this was approved yet. It will be nice having that park in front of that new development.

I still don't know what the future for Club 77 holds? but regardless, I'm all for the park!

Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 9:46 PM

There are so many vacant spaces in downtown that could host club space (ye old London Tap House, Grapes and Things, Forbidden Palace), they could be enticed to move.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King&James View Post
There are so many vacant spaces in downtown that could host club space (ye old London Tap House, Grapes and Things, Forbidden Palace), they could be enticed to move.

Anything big though? Club 77 is actually quite large, having 3 separate rooms is kinda their thing.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 10:18 PM

The x London Tap House was multi floor - huge with rooftop.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 10:32 PM

This entire situation reminds me of when Government Night Club used to be beside a Loblaws on Queens Quay in Downtown Toronto.

The land that the former club used to sit on is now being built into a massive mix of residential/commercial/community space by Daniels (Daniels Waterfront)

Anyways, I lived in this area for several years and while the nightclub was popular and probably doing OK financially, it just didn't fit in the area any longer. George Brown opened their beautiful Waterfront campus, other developers started buying up parcels of the surrounding lands, heck- there was even an urban park that was put in just like this one.

It's about growth in development. It's the evolution of a city or an area of a city. At one time and even presently, Club 77 isn't super out of place in its current location.

However, when the park goes in, the development behind the park breaks ground, the forensics lab is complete, Phase 3 of RC is U/C, when Liuna's building on King William is U/C, when the Old Spectator building gets the facelift its on track to receive... I just don't see the nightclub staying in its current location.

There's a price on mostly everything. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if a developer offers a sizeable sum to the owners of that property..

Old Posted Jun 4, 2019, 12:38 PM
It's Hammer Time

And it's official, construction has begun.

https://twitter.com/JasonThorne_RPP/...84211418796035

Old Posted Jun 4, 2019, 10:53 PM
Burger Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
And it's official, construction has begun.

https://twitter.com/JasonThorne_RPP/...84211418796035
Amazing news!!!

Old Posted Jun 5, 2019, 3:26 AM
Bruatalism gets no respec

Quote:
This entire situation reminds me of when Government Night Club used to be beside a Loblaws on Queens Quay in Downtown Toronto.

The land that the former club used to sit on is now being built into a massive mix of residential/commercial/community space by Daniels (Daniels Waterfront)

Anyways, I lived in this area for several years and while the nightclub was popular and probably doing OK financially, it just didn't fit in the area any longer. George Brown opened their beautiful Waterfront campus, other developers started buying up parcels of the surrounding lands, heck- there was even an urban park that was put in just like this one.

It's about growth in development. It's the evolution of a city or an area of a city. At one time and even presently, Club 77 isn't super out of place in its current location.

However, when the park goes in, the development behind the park breaks ground, the forensics lab is complete, Phase 3 of RC is U/C, when Liuna's building on King William is U/C, when the Old Spectator building gets the facelift its on track to receive... I just don't see the nightclub staying in its current location.

There's a price on mostly everything. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if a developer offers a sizeable sum to the owners of that property..

I went there before the Guv when it was RPM. Saw Chris Sheppard, it's a shame it's just another boring block in TO.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2019, 2:56 AM
Forever forward.

Today:

Kinda disappointing they took down all these trees though:

Old Posted Jun 9, 2019, 11:51 AM
Burger Connoisseur

Hmm the fencing stops at the back wall of the club? Are they are keeping some parking on King William beside the club and around the Lulu's Shwarma place?

Old Posted Jun 9, 2019, 2:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StEC View Post
Hmm the fencing stops at the back wall of the club? Are they are keeping some parking on King William beside the club and around the Lulu's Shwarma place?
I'm pretty sure that parking was never owned by the city. I don't think the city ended up expropriating anything.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues