HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Jan 26, 2021, 3:28 AM

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Jan 26, 2021, 5:28 AM
Hamilton Historian

It's better looking than a lot of other things proposed in this city..

Old Posted Jan 26, 2021, 10:26 AM

Last edited by tommyboy123; Jan 26, 2021 at 10:27 AM. Reason: Links not working

Old Posted Jan 26, 2021, 3:59 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyboy123 View Post
Well he did say "can be", not "will be" finished and operable. (which would have been summer 2013 based on the timing of that quote)
Meanwhile, the other development noted in that article (Vista Condos) is nearly complete.

Patient indeed. So... much... dust.

Stinson also says he’s aware that some associate him with past projects that have fallen through, including previous iterations of the Grand.

“I do realize there will be the usual skepticism, but I don’t give up,” he said. “I’m used to the concept of having to pick yourself up, dust yourself off and take another run at it. This particular process has required a little more dusting off than I would hope.”

The scaled-down project can be “finished and operable” by next summer, he added.

“The sales were always there. People have been very patient. They believe in the location,” he said.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2021, 11:11 PM
Burger Connoisseur

The thread title says 12 floors but I count 20 floors in the render?

Old Posted Jan 26, 2021, 11:53 PM

^Doesn't really matter, does it?

Old Posted Jan 27, 2021, 12:38 AM
Burger Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Awesomesauce View Post
^Doesn't really matter, does it?
Well yeah it does. What's correct? Is that an old render or recent render? Does the title have the latest information or does it need to be corrected?

Old Posted Jan 27, 2021, 2:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StEC View Post
Well yeah it does. What's correct? Is that an old render or recent render? Does the title have the latest information or does it need to be corrected?
I think he means this isn't happening anyway aha.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2021, 4:54 PM

Has anyone any real information as the what the heck is going on with this project?. Its a black hole of placating replies.

Do they have financing?... have the plans been approved by the city?
Now hear its being built in one stage as opposed to 2 where as before first stage was to be done in 2022.

It just seems like a never ending excuses of putting off. yes covid has def placed some challenges in way for all builders (work stoppages...etc..) but nothing ever happens with this

Old Posted Feb 10, 2021, 5:08 PM

I just read this in the CBC report.

Is This for godamn reaL?

The city confirmed it received a formal consultation application for the mills in 2018, but there have been no other development applications since then.

IF THIS IS CASE THEY HAVE BEEN OUTRIGHT LYING TO BUYERS

Old Posted Feb 10, 2021, 5:23 PM

No listing of Beasley on ACK website. SUPRISE!!!!

I am pretty sure it was there before

I feel sick to my stomach as buyer

Old Posted Feb 10, 2021, 6:30 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertown View Post
I just read this in the CBC report.

Is This for godamn reaL?

The city confirmed it received a formal consultation application for the mills in 2018, but there have been no other development applications since then.

IF THIS IS CASE THEY HAVE BEEN OUTRIGHT LYING TO BUYERS
You'll get used to this eventually.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2021, 12:55 AM

Thats pretty disconcerting

Have you bought into this project/dealt with them or are you bystander?

If you know anything it would be helpful... tnx

Old Posted Feb 11, 2021, 1:00 AM

If anyone knows what the process is does this mean they have NOT been submitting plans for approval by the city?

That is what we keep getting told.

Plans are always under revision with the city.

If only a consultation occurred does this means plans could NOT have been submitted to the city?

Trying to get this straight here.... HEEEELP!

Old Posted Feb 11, 2021, 3:19 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
If anyone knows what the process is does this mean they have NOT been submitting plans for approval by the city?

That is what we keep getting told.

Plans are always under revision with the city.

If only a consultation occurred does this means plans could NOT have been submitted to the city?

Trying to get this straight here.... HEEEELP!
Unfortunately there's nothing listed yet for this property on the city's development applications map

That may not mean Harry hasn't been talking to the city, and perhaps there was an application at one point that was withdrawn.

Still pretty disconcerting to see nothing submitted, given the length of time this has been cooking. Stinson bought the property in June 2016... and redevelopment had originally been proposed way back in Dec 2009!

Old Posted Feb 11, 2021, 4:14 PM

thanks for suggesting. Yes, took a look...not there.

Dont know if plans need approval before it would show up on that map...

I dont know the process so?

Old Posted Feb 11, 2021, 5:43 PM

All I know is that I wouldn't risk buying in this place until I knew development plans had been submitted and I knew they had some financing started. The risk isn't worth the low prices.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2021, 8:58 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Dont know if plans need approval before it would show up on that map...
I would think as long as a proposal was accepted it would be entered into the system, and appear on that map. That wouldn't mean the development was approved, just that it's in process.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2022, 4:41 PM

Could be tough for Stinson to complete this or Gibson School Lofts considering he's going to need some cash. Let's see if he flips them now or if Farr says we're good homie, sell the land.

Stinson getting charged by OSC

Old Posted Mar 9, 2022, 5:02 PM
Ham-burgher

Harry making news again and not for good reasons... but there are a few nuggets about his "projects" (can we call them that?) in the story.

If that's his Lincoln, it looked like it was in pretty good shape in 2016. I wonder if he restored it, and if so, how long did it take?

Developer Harry Stinson says Hamilton projects continue despite accusations he broke provincial securities law
Stinson says he disagrees with allegation levelled by an Ontario securities regulator over a Buffalo hotel project, but he hopes to come to a settlement.

https://www.thespec.com/news/hamilto...legations.html

Matthew Van Dongen
The Hamilton Spectator
Wed., March 9, 2022

Developer Harry Stinson says accusations levelled by Ontario’s securities regulator over a Buffalo hotel redevelopment “put a cloud” over him but have not slowed his Hamilton projects.

The Ontario Securities Commission alleged in papers filed last month that Stinson and his companies improperly solicited $19 million for a planned condo conversion of the historic Buffalo Grand Hotel, misled investors and ended up using some of those funds for other projects.

The accusations have not been proven. But Stinson faces a Wednesday tribunal hearing over OSC requests for orders to, among other things, stop trading in securities and pay administrative penalties potentially in the millions of dollars.

The always-quotable developer disputes the allegations and stressed in an interview there is “no mob of investors screaming we were robbed.”

He is likely now more familiar to Hamiltonians for conversions of the former Stinson and Gibson schools into condos and rental lofts — and more recently, an oft-changing proposal to redevelop the former Cannon Knitting Mills complex.

The historic but contaminated collection of mill buildings constructed between 1854 and 1935 sat vacant for years during a failed private-public partnership with the city meant to redevelop the complex.

Stinson bought the complex for $3 million in 2016 with plans for a six-storey hotel and condo conversion. The plan grew to include 20 storeys in 2018 — and may grow again before any major construction begins.

The developer said he has deposits from would-be condo buyers for up to 20 floors, but he needs more height to make the costly remediation and redevelopment “economically viable” in today’s market.

Neighbours are increasingly anxious to see redevelopment of the vacant and crumbling industrial icon, said Mike Borrelli, a longtime member of the Beasley Neighbourhood Association.

“It has been what, five or six years without anything happening? It’s tough to see, because Beasley needs new housing more than ever before,” said Borrelli. “I think a lot of people are saying, ‘develop it or sell it to someone who will.’”

Ward Coun. Jason Farr said he is also “antsy” to see the complex transformed. He acknowledged Stinson has been in talks with city planners about “various concepts” for the property “but the reality is nothing is happening yet.”

Farr declined to comment on the OSC allegations other than to wish Stinson a speedy resolution. “If it means we can get the Cannon project going, more power to him to put this episode behind him.”

full story

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton