HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Apr 28, 2015, 3:11 AM

1221 S. Broad
Update from Naked Philly

http://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phill...on-south-broad

Old Posted Apr 28, 2015, 3:32 PM

PhillyMag has a piece on potential commercial addition for 1835Market St. Looks great. With this plus the the addition to 1700 Market (and substantially increased residential units), Market Street really is evolving into a live-work-play district from the 9-5 days of old.

http://www.phillymag.com/property/20...dining-retail/

Old Posted Apr 28, 2015, 4:36 PM
Closed account

Old ballroom at the drake (now apartments) to become performance venue co-op for up to five troupes.

Replaces Baptist church. I'll take culture over fanatical organized religion any day.

http://articles.philly.com/2015-04-0...drake-building

Old Posted Apr 28, 2015, 4:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsarstruck View Post
PhillyMag has a piece on potential commercial addition for 1835Market St. Looks great. With this plus the the addition to 1700 Market (and substantially increased residential units), Market Street really is evolving into a live-work-play district from the 9-5 days of old.
They are also presently updating/upgrading the fugly retail space (that's been vacant forever) at 1701 Market in the Morgan, Lewis building. In addition to modernization improvements at 16th and Market...it's nice to see that the added value of these building's is incentivizing owners to invest in their street presence a bit more.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2015, 5:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiggyOlive View Post
Old ballroom at the drake (now apartments) to become performance venue co-op for up to five troupes.

Replaces Baptist church. I'll take culture over fanatical organized religion any day.

http://articles.philly.com/2015-04-0...drake-building
Two things that one should never discuss in polite conversation are religion and politics.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2015, 6:57 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post
They are also presently updating/upgrading the fugly retail space (that's been vacant forever) at 1701 Market in the Morgan, Lewis building. In addition to modernization improvements at 16th and Market...it's nice to see that the added value of these building's is incentivizing owners to invest in their street presence a bit more.
There will also be changes at 15th and 16th and market related to the rehab of 15th street station and the installation of elevators. You will see new headhouses, elevator shafts, sidewalks, bump outs, etc.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2015, 7:01 PM
BANNED

Forgot to mention that there is steel going up at the Brickstone project on Chestnut.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2015, 1:09 PM

Has anyone heard anything about the development at Broad and Callowhill?

http://planphilly.com/articles/2014/...sign-committee

I think this would be one of the more transformative development projects that are in the pipeline but the lack of news in over a year is making me nervous.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2015, 3:59 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL10 View Post
Has anyone heard anything about the development at Broad and Callowhill?

http://planphilly.com/articles/2014/...sign-committee

I think this would be one of the more transformative development projects that are in the pipeline but the lack of news in over a year is making me nervous.
I dont think there has been a peep since the CDR.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2015, 4:13 PM

WuXi AppTec Inc. is expanding at the Navy Yard into a third building.

Quote:
WuXi AppTec Inc. is expanding into a third building at the Philadelphia Navy Yard and will occupy a 145,000-square-foot structure that Liberty Property Trust is scheduled to break ground on tomorrow.
http://www.bizjournals.com/philadelp...g-at-navy.html

Old Posted Apr 29, 2015, 10:41 PM

Old Posted Apr 29, 2015, 11:36 PM

That area badly needs something like that.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2015, 12:51 AM
Future World Dictator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNigh View Post
That area badly needs something like that.
I wouldn't say it badly needs it, but it'll be a nice addition, definitely.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2015, 1:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamrobk View Post
I wouldn't say it badly needs it, but it'll be a nice addition, definitely.
I think things like this are needed to get this area up to speed with it's baltimore ave equivalent. This area is run down and ghetto compared to 44 and baltimore and for no good reason. Imo university city and market east are the places to buy atm as they're going to be jumping a whole tier in quality soon.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2015, 1:12 AM

Cheesecake Factory sets its opening in Center City

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/t...y-opening.html

Old Posted Apr 30, 2015, 2:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNigh View Post
I think things like this are needed to get this area up to speed with it's baltimore ave equivalent. This area is run down and ghetto compared to 44 and baltimore and for no good reason. Imo university city and market east are the places to buy atm as they're going to be jumping a whole tier in quality soon.
I agree. Honestly, I love West Philadelphia. I always wondered why it seemed to do so well along Baltimore but never popped along the El. Especially considering so many people have detachment anxiety about the vicinity just because of the river. You'd think they'd want to be close to the El.

I never really got why Passyunk Square and Northern Liberties boomed while I always thought West Philly was so much more aesthetically desirable, and really not hard to get to. I think projects like this will really prove its relevance. And any UCity/West Philly development is just making the city's core less of one bound by two rivers, and more of a city that straddles Schuylkill.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2015, 12:32 PM

philatonian, just my two cents and experience when looking for housing. West Philly, and specifically University City has a view of being... well... University oriented which I think deters others from moving there and opt for North or South Philly instead. I don't believe many people want to move next to a frat house or something similar (not that I think that would be likely). With that said, with University City exploding with jobs in the past decade or two, I think that changes the dynamics of the area some. As people now work in University City more, more people will want to move closer to their jobs. Also personally, I find the areas around Baltimore Ave to be much more pleasant than the areas around Market and Walnut streets, those streets feel like a toned down highway, plus the trolleys go down Baltimore so that makes connection to Center City easy (not as easy as the El of course).

Old Posted Apr 30, 2015, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philatonian View Post
I agree. Honestly, I love West Philadelphia. I always wondered why it seemed to do so well along Baltimore but never popped along the El. Especially considering so many people have detachment anxiety about the vicinity just because of the river. You'd think they'd want to be close to the El.

I never really got why Passyunk Square and Northern Liberties boomed while I always thought West Philly was so much more aesthetically desirable, and really not hard to get to. I think projects like this will really prove its relevance. And any UCity/West Philly development is just making the city's core less of one bound by two rivers, and more of a city that straddles Schuylkill.
Combination of heavy/fast traffic on Chestnut/Walnut and the El construction that was ongoing for awhile (not to mention the everyday rumble of the El) have been big deterrents. The El construction has been done for awhile now so that's a plus and the bike lane on Walnut has helped too. Eventually the outward spread of development will outweigh the challenges that exist, and it looks like that's starting to happen.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2015, 2:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blorkishdork View Post
philatonian, just my two cents and experience when looking for housing. West Philly, and specifically University City has a view of being... well... University oriented which I think deters others from moving there and opt for North or South Philly instead. I don't believe many people want to move next to a frat house or something similar (not that I think that would be likely). With that said, with University City exploding with jobs in the past decade or two, I think that changes the dynamics of the area some. As people now work in University City more, more people will want to move closer to their jobs. Also personally, I find the areas around Baltimore Ave to be much more pleasant than the areas around Market and Walnut streets, those streets feel like a toned down highway, plus the trolleys go down Baltimore so that makes connection to Center City easy (not as easy as the El of course).
Maaaaaaybe in terms of younger people, but there are mostly families moving into the area of west philly/ucity. Penn, especially, promotes faculty/employee living all the way up to 56th street with the free $10K they give out. Its definitely not a student ghetto like Temple where only students live. Chestnut and the El are not developed simply because baltimore avenue was more of a centralized area connecting clark park, upenn, and usciences. People started buying up those large homes 10-15 years ago when baltimore avenue wasn't a destination. Jump forward all these years and now its a glorious place! 52nd street will develop before chestnut/walnut/market primarily because that whole area is just a big parking lot/gas station/car sales/auto-centric craphood of a neighborhood. I remember walking from my house on 46th and spruce to the EL every day and slipping everywhere with all the grease building up on my shoes as I walked past! The El won't develop because there is a huge scar in that area of these types of businesses. In the future, you will probably see development push west on baltimore, inch up 52nd street maybe all the way to lancaster surrounding this area and maybe if the property gets valuable enough, start creeping eastward down the el. But as it stands right now, there are much nicer affordable areas of west philly/ucity so little pressure is there to develop. Its not all bad, but the 46-45th street/chestnut/walnut region is a big ol not very nice nook to live in.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2015, 5:41 PM

Certain parts of West Philly(like Spruce Hill) have always had decent housing. What I,ved always loved about the area between Spruce and Baltimore below 52nd St. Has been the abundance of large row houses, great for families.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development