HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Dec 11, 2008, 3:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairHamilton View Post
I'm guessing, "A similar eastbound train will leave Union at 5:10 p.m." is a mis-print as it that was the case it would be going towards Oshawa. I'm guessing the eastbound train will be heading to Union.

It's too bad they are only putting one on the much sought after 3:15pm departure. I know so many people looking to leave work mid-afternoon.....

Really, they should be plugging the rush hour gap that exists from 5:34pm to 6:35pm, with a say a 6:04pm train.
Not a misprint. The new 5:10 train is Lakeshore East run, running eastbound from Union.

The Lakeshore West run into Hamilton would definitely be well seved with an additional westbound train departing Union around 6PM.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2008, 12:11 PM
It's Hammer Time

More trains in GO plan

December 18, 2008
Rachel De Lazzer
The Hamilton Spectator
http://www.thespec.com/News/Local/article/483661

Long given the cold shoulder for commuter rail service, Hamilton residents will have Toronto-bound GO trains to hop on every 15 minutes in rush hour and every 30 minutes the rest of the day as early as 2013.

GO Transit has released its strategic plan, GO 2020, and gave Hamilton a favourable place by including it in a core area slated to get major service upgrades over the next decade. Hamilton and other communities within the core area are poised to get two-way, all-day service by 2020.

Ward 2 Councillor Bob Bratina, who sits on the GO Transit board of directors, says multiple variables, such as a teetering economy that could see fewer commuters heading to work, make specific timelines difficult to nail down.

"It may be a little soon, it's hard to say, but I would say that's a good working date," he said of the 2013 timeline.

Bratina said the extra trains will be added in stages.

The new trains will run from LIUNA Station on James Street North when the $3-million platform facility there is complete in 2010.

But GO commuters from Hamilton won't have to wait until 2010 for better service.

GO currently runs three trains between Hamilton and Toronto at rush hours only from the Hunter Street East GO station.

Bratina said that service will pick up in January when an $8-million layover facility is complete, allowing the three trains plus one additional one departing at 7:15 a.m. to leave on time more consistently by giving them a place to fuel and dock overnight.

Currently, the trains come from Willowdale and often get held up at a railway junction near the York Street high-level bridge over the Desjardins Canal, Bratina said. He said the layover station will likely be finished in the first half of January.

rdelazzer@thespec.com

Old Posted Dec 18, 2008, 2:11 PM
It's Hammer Time

It sounds like the feds might put infrastructure money towards speeding up the construction of electrifying the Lakeshore line.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2008, 7:31 PM
BANNED

What's going to happen to the Hunter St. Station?

Old Posted Dec 18, 2008, 8:27 PM

Rush hour trains will continue to run from Hunter Street GO Centre. Off-peak will run from James North.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2008, 10:52 PM

and go buses and greyhound/coach canada

Old Posted Dec 19, 2008, 1:54 AM

The physical copy of The Spec reports a new 7:15am train. Disappointing since we are already serviced by a 7:04am train.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2008, 2:08 AM
Hammer'd

It's still something, I guess. I'm surprised this layover facility allows only one additional train. I figured it would allow a couple more in the morning, and a few departing for Toronto in the evening. Why GO figures people only want to go to Toronto in the evening is beyond me.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Dec 19, 2008, 2:24 AM

Quote:
The physical copy of The Spec reports a new 7:15am train. Disappointing since we are already serviced by a 7:04am train.
It does seem like a waste to add a train only 11 minutes later. It'll either be basically empty or will carry a small percentage of people normally on the 7:04. I don't think this will convert people who normally take the bus to Toronto. Overall it won't really add any extra commuters to the train service.

If it left around 7:30, 7:45 or 8:00, then it would be handy for those who start work between 9:00 and 10:00.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2008, 4:17 AM

It's essentially a train to service existing Aldershot, Burlington service only domiciled in Hamilton vs. bringing it west in the morning from Mimico.

Only they've tried to maximize the spin by saying it's a plus for Hamilton.......

I've also read one in the evening is really in the afternoon, 3:15pm (or something close) leaving Union. Still leaving a big rush hour gap in service between the 5:34pm to 6:35pm. Any one working until 5:30, or delayed leaving their 5pm finish by 10, or 15 minutes the 5:34pm will most likely be a no go and 6:34pm is a good long wait.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2008, 2:06 PM

I suspect the 7:04 train will end up with an earlier departure time once the 7:14 starts running. If its departure is moved to 6:54, then there will be an AM train leaving Hamilton GO Centre on a 20 minute schedule (6:14, 6:34, 6:54, 7:14).

Old Posted Dec 20, 2008, 3:46 PM
It's Hammer Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
It sounds like the feds might put infrastructure money towards speeding up the construction of electrifying the Lakeshore line.
"While he declined to talk about specific projects, he said he met yesterday with officials from Metrolinx and the Toronto City Summit Alliance, suggesting further expansion of the TTC or GO Transit is in the works."

http://www.thestar.com/Article/556696

Old Posted Jan 22, 2009, 7:01 PM

Anyone know when the new 7:15AM train out of Hunter will start running?

Old Posted Jan 22, 2009, 7:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berklon View Post
Anyone know when the new 7:15AM train out of Hunter will start running?
Well, the platform extension was open today, so it should be soon.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2009, 8:17 PM

Quote:
Well, the platform extension was open today, so it should be soon.
Wow, I'm totally out of touch with the John St. side of things. Good news.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2009, 10:17 PM

While the barricade fencing has been removed, construction at Hamilton GO is not complete and platform accomodation for 12-carriage trains remains restricted. Must be very close to completion. I'd guess about six weeks behind schedule.

Last edited by markbarbera; Jan 26, 2009 at 11:39 PM.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2009, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbarbera View Post
While the barricade fencing has been removed, construction at Hamilton GO is not complete and platform accomodation for 12-carriage trains remains restricted. Must be very close to completion. I'd guess about six weeks behind schedule.
The platform and all 12 cars have been accessible (i.e. they are now open) in the morning since last week.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2009, 1:45 AM

Quote:
The platform and all 12 cars have been accessible (i.e. they are now open) in the morning since last week.
I can confirm this as well.

Up until last week the last 3 or 4 cars would have their doors shut and a sort-of barrier was in place on the platform. Now the platform is fully accessable along with all the cars.

There was a new train added at Aldershot 2 weeks ago - the 7:32 which hits all stops till Oakville and then express to Union. I'm assuming this will be 7:15 out of Hamilton. I guess the fact that it's not starting the run from Hamilton yet means the yard/station (or whatever it's called) isn't ready to house the train overnight.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2009, 1:51 AM

You certain they are 12-carriage trains in the morning? My understanding is that the 5:02 PM train was the only 12-carriage train serving Hamlton, and that all three AM train currently remain in the 10-carriage configuration. The easiest way to check (besides counting the carriages) is to check out the engine. If it isn't one of the sleek, new MPI locomotives, then the train is definitely only a ten carriage configuration. The older locomotives by EMD simply cannot pull a dozen carriages.

Today's 5:02 was its usual 12-carriage configuration and its easternmost carriages remained closed during arrival at the GO Centre.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2009, 1:03 AM
It's Hammer Time

Quote from the 2009 Budget....

"Funding will also be used to modernize VIA Rail Canada’s fleet of locomotives and passenger cars, and to upgrade key stations in Toronto, Montréal, Vancouver, Hamilton, Belleville and Windsor."

Finally getting a VIA Station at James St North.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure