HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia

Old Posted Feb 16, 2021, 6:43 AM

Awesome rendering! I noticed the CIVIC precinct building proposed for the former RCMP site is absent. Is that because there is no concrete information/plans for the building yet?

Old Posted Feb 16, 2021, 3:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2009 View Post
It's been planned as the central okanagan multimodal corridor. Most of the progress has stopped though under the ndp and the info on government websites has been mostly removed when I looked

https://www.iheartradio.ca/am-1150/n...tion-1.2506759

We haven't even heard about the 2 interchanges that were coming for west kelowna and the second transmission line has been delayed which is a major safety issue, the region is getting really shafted
Thank you for sharing. I had a sneaking suspicion that there was probably something already drawn up when I wrote my post .

Just from pure speculation, I could see maybe the West Kelowna portion of the bypass being passed through before the others since it doesn't interfere with too many neighbourhoods. I specifically think that the trenching of highway 97 is super interesting since there are already a lot of stoplight interchanges along highway 97. Even if they did interchanges like Westside road, it would be a much better improvement. Highway 97 is kind of unique in that it is acting as both a main collector boulevard for regional Kelowna and as a freeway.

But yeah, the region is getting shafted here.

Pinterest - I use this social media platform to easily add pictures into my posts on this forum. Plus there are great architecture and city photos out there as well.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2021, 3:57 PM

Great renderings! Thanks. Now we need to update the Kelowna diagrams which is way beyond my skill level!

Old Posted Feb 17, 2021, 5:52 AM
GIVEME 550 h.p or 550 ft

Those future skyline photos are so impressive. Can't wait to see it look like that.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2021, 11:23 PM

BC Housing official application

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelown...orey-apartment

BC Housing has made public plans for a 20-storey affordable rental apartment building in downtown Kelowna.

The property in question, at 1451 and 1469 Bertram Street, is presently occupied by a single family home and two and three storey row apartments.

In its application to the city's planning department, BC Housing states the project is in response to affordable market and non-market (subsidized) rental housing, accessible housing and daycare services.

The overall construction plan would include 162 apartment units within the 20-storey building, as well as 14 units within a separate, attached townhouse building on the north side of the tower, with units facing north and west.

The tower would include 17 floors of apartments above a three-storey parking podium.

A daycare is also proposed within the project.

The project would accommodate three studio apartments, while 74 would be one-bedroom, 56 two-bedroom and 43 three-bedroom. It will also include provisions for wheelchair accessible housing, with 11 per cent of units wheelchair accessible, twice the minimum required by BC Housing.

BC Housing is also proposing to include electric vehicle plug ins, indoor, outdoor and in-suite bicycle parking, as well as a bike wash and repair station.

In order to go ahead, city council will have to approve a rezoning of the property.

The property is currently zoned for 12 storeys or 37 metres, well below the 20 storeys and 63 metre height proposed.

"Significant change is underway in the immediate area, including a 34-storey condominium tower planned for the corner of Bernard Avenue and Bertram Street and a 13-storey office building planned for the corner of Bernard and St.Paul Street," the application states.

"Directly west, an application has recently been submitted for a 46-storey apartment. A 26-storey condominium is currently under construction behind that proposal and fronting on St. Paul Street. Planning is also underway nearby on Doyle Avenue for the future UBCO campus high-rise."

Plans have also just been unveiled for a proposed 41-storey tower at Doyle and St. Paul.

The plans will be circulated around various city departments for input before coming to city council later this year.

The proposal is the first known apartment tower BC Housing is looking to construct within the Southern Interior.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2021, 3:18 AM

I'd sooner see the vacant Monaco site on the other corner of St Paul/Doyle get built up instead of ripping down other buildings. Especially when that building has FSH, they have great food.

All these 40+ storey proposals are getting a bit much. Kelowna needs more 20s and 30s storey buildings first.

As another poster said, its great to see some development happening in Rutland. There was a 5 storey mixed use building approved for Dougall Road the other day.

Last edited by jimmyboy95; Feb 18, 2021 at 3:29 AM.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2021, 5:42 AM

This latest one is only 20 storeys.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2021, 6:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homerbush View Post
Awesome rendering! I noticed the CIVIC precinct building proposed for the former RCMP site is absent. Is that because there is no concrete information/plans for the building yet?
Likely because a development permit has not yet been submitted to the city. Same with UBCO, no development permit has not yet been submitted. The exact height of those projects is still speculation at this time.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2021, 6:05 PM

Caban - new permit application

Just noticed that there has been a new Development application for Caban across the street from Gyro beach. The renderings and plans look pretty similar to what was released in the 2nd iteration back in 2017. Here is an article from 2017:
https://okanaganedge.net/2017/12/27/...elopment-gyro/

Old Posted Feb 25, 2021, 12:18 AM

Bargain store finally comes down!

Demolition to make way for the new Brooklyn towers. VIDEO LINK

Old Posted Feb 25, 2021, 4:37 AM

Old Posted Feb 25, 2021, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uzi View Post
Is it Caban, Cabana, or Cabada? Maybe Canada?

Old Posted Feb 25, 2021, 4:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O View Post
Is it Caban, Cabana, or Cabada? Maybe Canada?
It’s “Cabana-na-na-na” 🎵

Old Posted Feb 27, 2021, 4:04 AM

Saw this one, looking like a mini Vancouver.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2021, 4:50 PM

looks like vancouver suburb

Old Posted Feb 28, 2021, 10:28 PM

Kind of like if Port Moody had more towers

Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 4:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uzi View Post
looks like vancouver suburb
Kelowna is becoming a suburb for Vancouver, Toronto, Edmonton, Calgary and elsewhere.

Very interesting mix of migration happening, it attracts what I think to be a disproportionate amount of big city folk.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 5:15 PM

Kelowna's too far to be anyone's suburb. This area is the result of the old resort town planning and that's fine. The urban centre when built up will be encompassed by Doyle, Richter, Harvey, and the lake.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 6:40 PM
GIVEME 550 h.p or 550 ft

That's such an awesome photo.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 8:03 PM

Speaking of suburbs, City of Kelowna rejected 680 new homes in Upper Mission by a vote of 7-2. There are still 2900 undeveloped single home lots largely in McKinley Beach, Wilden, and Black Mountain, with consideration for 1200 more in the 2040 OCP. Just not in Upper Mission at this time beause all the transporation corridors are maxed out.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia