HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Jan 4, 2021, 3:54 AM

COVID-19 Thread: Impact on Local Businesses and Economy

I was surprised to see that there isn't a thread to discuss the impact the C0OVID-19 lockdowns have had on the local economy and small businesses.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2021, 1:32 PM
Ham-burgher

I'm not surprised. For me, this site is a nice periodic distraction from all that.

Small businesses will definitely feel the pandemic. Some will muddle through. Some will not make it, unfortunately (restaurants especially).

Old Posted Jan 4, 2021, 4:27 PM
It's a nickname from work

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
I'm not surprised. For me, this site is a nice periodic distraction from all that.

Small businesses will definitely feel the pandemic. Some will muddle through. Some will not make it, unfortunately (restaurants especially).
The one I felt the most was Acetti's it was a staple for me as a kid.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2021, 8:00 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShavedParmesanCheese View Post
The one I felt the most was Acetti's it was a staple for me as a kid.
I'd only been there a few times over the years but the food was great. That family lived just up the street from the house I grew up in, decades ago.

Old Posted Yesterday, 5:32 AM
Ham-burgher

This would not just mean shots in the arms of Canadians (and beyond) to stave off COVID, but a shot in the arm for the city's burgeoning life science and biotech cluster.

McMaster eyes making millions of vaccine doses in Hamilton by 2022
https://www.thespec.com/news/hamilto...oses-2022.html

By Jon Wells
The Hamilton Spectator
Thu., Feb. 25, 2021

McMaster University has signed a partnership that could lead to producing millions of doses of vaccine in Hamilton next year to fight variants of the COVID-19 virus and other diseases.

That’s the view of Gerry Wright, a biomedical sciences professor and a top official with the university’s Global Nexus for Pandemics and Biological Threats that was launched last fall.

The partnership has McMaster’s Global Nexus joining forces with the University of Saskatchewan’s Vaccine and Infectious Disease Organization (VIDO), which has a long track record in human and animal vaccination research and development.

Wright told The Spectator that if the federal government invests “a small amount” in the work of the partnership, even $1 million, vaccine development infrastructure already present at the two universities could dramatically ramp up production capacity from thousands of doses to millions.

McMaster announced the partnership Thursday, the same day two of its disease researchers — Karen Mossman and Brian Lichty — were in Ottawa addressing a group of MPs about the need to support Canadian vaccine development.

Wright hopes the partnership with USask will grab the attention of political leaders to act now.

Full story here

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Business, Politics & the Economy