HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 8:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimB09 View Post
Any ideas what groups would interested in buying the Lions? It's been pretty quiet on names interested.
A local group of businessmen known as The Waterboys have long been interested. Canucks Sports & Entertainment (Francesco Aquilini) have shown interest in the past and I think Ambrosie would love to have them on board with the two separate seasons meshing well. There is the Woodall/Keith group as well.

The strange thing is that Braley, despite what some may think, is a very intelligent businessman. He is a billionaire and has given away 50 million at a time and millions more in donations. He overpriced the team the last time he was looking to sell and the value of the team has likely fallen to the point where all of the above would have paid for it three years ago.

He had a great legacy going but to me really tarnished his image when he let the Argos wither on the vine, the same happening to the Lions. But to his credit he was able to sell the Argos to the best buyer possible, so hopefully maybe another sale to the big player CS&E is still possible.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 8:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
But to his credit he was able to sell the Argos to the best buyer possible, so hopefully maybe another sale to the big player CS&E is still possible.
So they can languish in the background the same way that the Argos are with MLSE?

Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 8:41 PM

If the argos fire Popp and Chamberlin, trade for a capable QB and rebuild their defense, hire a CFL experienced team president, follow the eskimos model and let kids in free or for very cheap prices to attract familys to games, sell the upper deck again for $ 5 bucks a ticket so it looks better on tv and maybe they can have better attendance and a better record to attract more fans. Right now MLSE are the only ones willing to accept the Argos losses otherwise this club would have to fold.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 8:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
So they can languish in the background the same way that the Argos are with MLSE?
Can you think of a more stable ownership group with that many resources. I don't think we can blame that marketplace on MLSE. I thought they could work a quick miracle but that one's gonna take some time. They are doing things to regrow the franchise over the long term even though some of that may not be obvious if you are a casual observer.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 10:41 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
If the argos fire Popp and Chamberlin, trade for a capable QB and rebuild their defense, hire a CFL experienced team president, follow the eskimos model and let kids in free or for very cheap prices to attract familys to games, sell the upper deck again for $ 5 bucks a ticket so it looks better on tv and maybe they can have better attendance and a better record to attract more fans. Right now MLSE are the only ones willing to accept the Argos losses otherwise this club would have to fold.
Bethel-Thompson has been playing really great; he's learned and developed a lot since last season. I don't think QB is the problem... they do need a better O-line and a weapon or two to complement Walker, and getting rid of the headcase who plays RB would also benefit the team. And on defense, good pieces are there especially along the line and they can add to that; having a dedicated coordinator would help, because this business of the head coach splitting his duties doesn't work well long-term.

The team itself has never been a problem. They play poorly, attendance is meagre. They play well, attendance is meagre. They win a Grey Cup, attendance is meagre.

They need to find ways to carve out their own niche in the busy Toronto sports scene. It's going to be a longer process but this has been an issue discussed for years now.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 11:58 PM

I was under the impression it's not MLSE but rather the Larry and Bell side that owns the Argos, they just roll it under MLSE operations and marketing. Rogers doesn't have a stake in the Argos.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2019, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djeffery View Post
I was under the impression it's not MLSE but rather the Larry and Bell side that owns the Argos, they just roll it under MLSE operations and marketing. Rogers doesn't have a stake in the Argos.
That's what it used to be. MLSE proper purchased the Argos a year or two ago and it is fully under their umbrella.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2019, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicPonyTime View Post
That's what it used to be. MLSE proper purchased the Argos a year or two ago and it is fully under their umbrella.
And that question for me has always been there, why did Rogers buy into the act? At the time, there were rumours of a negotiation for a "Game of the Week" but it was interesting how leading up to the "buy in", and for a long time afterward, the Rogers' attitude towards the CFL changed to the better.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2019, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicPonyTime View Post
I didn't know the Argos were owned by MLSE. Same type of deal here in Calgary with the Stampeders owned by the Flames.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2019, 1:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaineN View Post
I didn't know the Argos were owned by MLSE. Same type of deal here in Calgary with the Stampeders owned by the Flames.
And maybe the Lions to come. That's one thing the CFL has now (aside from Mtl and BC) some pretty solid ownership groups. And I expect those two teams to come out next season looking pretty good.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2019, 1:59 AM

Nice to see the positive kind of vibe around the league as of late, nothing major, just steady as she goes, and the outstanding issues look to be on their way to getting resolved.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2019, 2:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
Bethel-Thompson has been playing really great; he's learned and developed a lot since last season. I don't think QB is the problem... they do need a better O-line and a weapon or two to complement Walker, and getting rid of the headcase who plays RB would also benefit the team. And on defense, good pieces are there especially along the line and they can add to that; having a dedicated coordinator would help, because this business of the head coach splitting his duties doesn't work well long-term.

The team itself has never been a problem. They play poorly, attendance is meagre. They play well, attendance is meagre. They win a Grey Cup, attendance is meagre.

They need to find ways to carve out their own niche in the busy Toronto sports scene. It's going to be a longer process but this has been an issue discussed for years now.
MBT and the argos they have only won 2 games this season and 4 games last year. You play to win the game. They have not had a consistent regular season winning program since the Damon Allen era 2004-2007 when they were drawing 30,000 fans a game to Rogers Centre. the 2012 and 2017 grey cup wins were flukey and their follow up seasons were complete flops that failed to capitalize on those wins.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2019, 2:30 AM

^ It's funny how the Argos have been a mostly sad sack team for the last decade plus, yet they managed to eke out those two surprise Grey Cups in that timespan.

Signed,

Frustrated Bomber Fan

Old Posted Sep 13, 2019, 2:50 AM

[QUOTE=esquire;8685768]^ It's funny how the Argos have been a mostly sad sack team for the last decade plus, yet they managed to eke out those two surprise Grey Cups in that timespan.

Signed,

Frustrated Bomber Fan[/QUOTE

I hear ya brother but this is our best team since the Dunigan years 1992-1994 to win a Grey Cup with so many players going down and the young guys stepping up it is promising. I have a funny feeling it will be a Winnipeg Montreal Grey Cup this year as Montreal was able to knock off the ti-cats already.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2019, 4:53 AM

Old Posted Sep 14, 2019, 4:55 AM

Old Posted Sep 14, 2019, 5:11 AM

According to TSN, Ambrosie spoke to four groups interested in the Lions. Also looks as if the Hollywood Lenkov brothers are still the front runners for Montreal.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2019, 6:16 AM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
MBT and the argos they have only won 2 games this season and 4 games last year. You play to win the game. They have not had a consistent regular season winning program since the Damon Allen era 2004-2007 when they were drawing 30,000 fans a game to Rogers Centre. the 2012 and 2017 grey cup wins were flukey and their follow up seasons were complete flops that failed to capitalize on those wins.
Yeah, play to win I agree with that. MBT has been doing so, and showing a lot for the experience he's got now. The whole team isn't there for the full 60 minutes though.

I take your point about the Damon era. That was a high point in this century, but that was a long time ago now.

Is a winning team the solution? To me it doesn't seem like it's enough given what the ownership/management has been doing and hasn't.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2019, 6:20 AM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
According to TSN, Ambrosie spoke to four groups interested in the Lions. Also looks as if the Hollywood Lenkov brothers are still the front runners for Montreal.
I wish they would just STFU and make these deals without media attention. The Als drama has played out publicly for far too long now. Same could happen with the Lions.

Ambrosie has some good ideas about marketing the league and making it "international" but his handling of the sales and player issues has been shit. Do better Randy.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2019, 7:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
Ambrosie has some good ideas about marketing the league and making it "international" but his handling of the sales and player issues has been shit. Do better Randy.
I would say the opposite, aside from the tweet above about the Schooners, Ambrosie has tried to keep things fairly silent, it's other people doing the talking. He did comment on the Lenkovs and I get the feeling he still wants them to be the principal owners but he might be trying to broker a deal to get some of the other prospective people (like Lapointe) to get on board.

Besides, you have to walk a fine line between keeping people engaged and still interested but not raising expectations too high as LeBlanc has done (but he's learning). Still though, I would rather hear about things going on and make my own decisions, unfortunately some people just feel hell bent on being negative with really no reason for that.

The Als and Lions will be sold, just as the Argos were and people moaned and groaned about that back in the day.

I come on here and see the same guy posting whenever there is bad news (always ratings or attendance) and wishing the league was dying (not talking about you screamingviking). Yes, they aren't as good as they were but neither is almost everybody else.

The landscape for consuming content is changing and the doom and gloomers are comparing the league to it's own great legacy from the past. But as I've posted in the ratings charts above the league ain't doing too bad, is it, for content that is cable only and geared to a Canadian audience and not a big international league.

It's easy to be negative, I can't see why people aren't more positive towards this league. Hell, even American fans seem to like it more than some I've seen post in various places. I guess some Canadians like to eat their own.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada