HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Feb 9, 2017, 5:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFView View Post
Here is another similar article from sf.curbed.com with a couple additional renderings not seen in the previous Socketsite article:
http://sf.curbed.com/2017/2/8/145504...ing-550-howard

Funny how Pelli can't acknowledge Foster's Oceanwide towers in their renderings of the skyline.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2017, 10:35 PM

^^^Perhaps Oceanwide Center is too distracting from the subject. Other new towers not yet up are also missing, and not needed for this presentation rendering. If the design gets revised, we should be seeing more updated renderings and drawings later anyway.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2017, 1:24 AM

Funny how there are no renderings of the view of tower from the west...I wouldn't be surprised if this is another case of a tower turning its back to the city.

Not a fan of Pelli's designs at all after this and Salesforce tower. He truly saved his worst for San Francisco.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2017, 4:03 AM

Here are the planning commissions comments on the tower

Quote:
As one of the four largest towers in the city, the Department recommends that the massing [ie, shape of the building] be more gently and iconically-shaped. The current massing asymmetry and steps might work as a formal strategy if repeated; as they only occur once within the most visible height of the tower, they seem episodic and less architecturally intentional.

The Department recommends that the project express significant façade depth, provide high-quality materials, and meet the architectural detailing and character of the neighborhood.
If they want something more iconic, they should just flat out say 'go with another architect' because Pelli cannot think outside the box.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2017, 6:11 AM
REAL Kiwi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by don116 View Post
Here are the planning commissions comments on the tower

If they want something more iconic, they should just flat out say 'go with another architect' because Pelli cannot think outside the box.
Sounds like typical planning commission gobly gook bs. Arbitrary wannabe architect speak! Thanks for posting though!

Old Posted Feb 10, 2017, 7:32 AM

I agree with the Commissioners that the design needs something more. The current design from the east basically looks like just two miss-matched towers, one on top of the other.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2017, 10:44 AM

I think it looks good, though I like the top half better than the bottom. It could look better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by don116 View Post
Funny how there are no renderings of the view of tower from the west...I wouldn't be surprised if this is another case of a tower turning its back to the city.
You can see the west side right here:

Old Posted Feb 10, 2017, 11:56 PM

While I'm still undecided about this new Pelli tower, the rendering of Transbay/Salesforce Tower/Center to the right of it is my favorite yet!

Old Posted Feb 12, 2017, 5:39 AM
Everywhere all at once

It continues to stagger me how San Francisco is blossoming during this decade thus far, and will to the end of the 2010s. It speaks to its growing role as a global city of great consequence, and now it will have a skyline to match. I keep imagining the iconic image over the Golden Gate Bridge from the tip of Marin County and how that will appear with all these new additions to the skyline.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2017, 7:31 AM

^^I am something of a consumer of financial news and I always find it interesting and somewhat ego-massaging how often CNBC has to go to SF-based reporters from its NY studios for breaking news and general coverage of financial news. To some extent, that's because Apple now has the largest market cap of any US company and at $6.79 trillion, the "information techology" sector, dominated by Silicon Valley, is just behind the financial sector ($6.95 trillion) as the second largest sector of the financial markets.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2017, 7:54 AM

^^^^ It's probably not well appreciated today but San Francisco was for a long time considered The City in the West and one of only a handful of true cities in the USA. It has had a global presence since the Gold Rush. So this is not entirely a new role for San Francisco.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2017, 3:09 PM

^^That's not appreciated only because history is so neglected today. San Francisco still probably has the best natural harbor on the West Coast of North America and in the days of sailing ships that was more important than it is today. The other large west coast cities probably had to wait for 20th century technological developments to really get going: LA and SD for a system to bring them a reliable source of water, and Seattle and Portland for the rise in importance of electricity which cheap hydropower from the Columbia River system gave them in plenty.

And besides its harbor, which made SF a dominant regional city, the gold of the gold rush of the mid-1800s, which led directly to the city being the western terminus of the first transcontinental railroad, followed by the silver of the Comstock Load cemented it as a national and global city.

Bottom line: I agree with those who say the city needs a skyline to match its historical and current importance and I'm delighted to see the skyline enhanced the way it has been during this development cycle which I fear may now be coming to an end. My hopes are now focused on seeing this building being built before economic cycles delay it for 5 or more years.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2017, 11:49 PM

The details on the exterior are just an 'homage' to the Transbay tower. Just Pelli Clarke Pelli narcissistically praising its own work...as if the Transbay tower was that impressive to begin with.

IMO the SF Planning Commission needs them to break the mold a bit. Something more in line with Oceanwide Center or 181 Fremont.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2017, 8:33 PM

Quote:
Refined Parcel F Tower Plans Formally Submitted to Planning
March 15, 2017

The formal application and slightly re-refined designs for the Pelli Clarke Pelli tower to rise up to 800 feet at 550 Howard Street, on Transbay Parcel F (a.k.a. 546 Howard), have just been signed and submitted to Planning.

As formally proposed, the now 61-story tower will consist of 16 floors (289,000 square feet) of office space over a 10-floor, 220-room hotel, with 175 condos across the top 27 floors of the tower and 7 floors of lobby, shared amenity and retail space at its base, fronting Howard and Natoma.

A basement garage would provide 88 spaces for residents of the condos, 14 spaces for the hotel and 12,500 square feet of space for the office tenants.

From the project team, which appears to have rejected the bulk of the Planning Department’s preliminary feedback with respect to the proposed design, which called for a “more gently and iconically-shaped” massing with less asymmetry:

In the south and north facades the slenderness of the tower is accentuated by vertical white piers that are reminiscent of some of San Francisco’s most remarkable traditional buildings, such as the Pacific Bell tower. The west and east facades feature a horizontal expression while a series of setbacks and transparency gradients express the different components of the program. The curved corners of the tower offer a streamlined and transparent expression that softens the overall massing.

As the tower reaches its top, the vertical piers progressively transform themselves into an elegant latticework. In addition, the redefinition of the glass surfaces between piers into concave glass surfaces, and a series of subtle setbacks, create an elegant and iconic crown. This crown will be softly lit at night, making it visible from afar and providing a beacon to the San Francisco skyline.

At its base, the expression of the façade becomes more three dimensional, by deepening its piers and sunshades and by providing a street wall articulation and details that contributes to the pedestrian scale.

On Howard Street, a six-story high volume, with a very distinct wall articulation, smooths the transition between the scale of the neighboring buildings and the towers. This volume signals the entrance to the public passageway that connects to Natoma Street and provides public vertical connection to the TTC rooftop park.

On the west side, a four-story setback acknowledges the Transbay Transit Center Bridge and provides access, through the TJPA bridge maintenance driveway easement, to four loading docks tucked away from Natoma and Howard street’s pedestrian view.

On Natoma Street, an one-story high retail volume provides human scale and acts as a balanced counterpart to the undulating metal screens of the Transbay Transit Center façade. The double loaded retail façades on Natoma Street will offer a very lively pedestrian experience akin to San Francisco’s many treasured alleyways. The entrance to the hotel will contribute an active four-story high atrium with balconies and vertical circulation, which will be highly visible to the pedestrians both on Natoma Street and the TTC Park.

In addition, at the 5th level, the base of Natoma Street features a setback terrace, additional retail spaces and a pedestrian bridge that connects to the urban oasis of the Transbay Transit Center Park.

(Refined Rendering)

http://www.socketsite.com/archives/2...-planning.html

Mods please note possible changes in headline required: 61 FL vs 64 FL. Not sure if "up to 800 FT" implies a change from 806.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2017, 1:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
Mods please note possible changes in headline required: 61 FL vs 64 FL. Not sure if "up to 800 FT" implies a change from 806.
It does look like the crown has been visibly changed. In their latest docs submitted to planning, the tower reaches exactly 800' at the top.

You can see their latest docs for yourself here. Under "Record Info" click "Attachments", then click over to page 3 or 4 to download the PDF.

One of the more interesting diagrams is how they are transferring load towards the core and away from the train box:

Old Posted Mar 16, 2017, 3:04 AM

I must be thick because I don't see much/any? real changes. All I see is that lighting and shadows have been tweaked on the rendering.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2017, 3:36 AM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozone View Post
I must be thick because I don't see much/any? real changes. All I see is that lighting and shadows have been tweaked on the rendering.
As far as I can tell, the crown has been tweaked to look more art deco-y and the horizontal fins on the lower third are more flush rather than protruding. Can't really tell what else either. Anyone else?

Old Posted Mar 16, 2017, 6:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
As far as I can tell, the crown has been tweaked to look more art deco-y and the horizontal fins on the lower third are more flush rather than protruding. Can't really tell what else either. Anyone else?
Well, let's make this easier:

Old

New

Does look like the trees on the mid-lvel setback have grown some.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2017, 5:41 PM
DENNAB

Gorgeous!

Old Posted Mar 17, 2017, 12:37 AM

Proposed 800-Foot Transbay Tower Is Being Redesigned
Development spokesperson says yesterday's updated drawings are still being revised with input from City Planning

Quote:
According to a spokesperson for the development, the design team is currently working “hand-in-hand with SF Planning on refinements to the design that will factor in their comments.” And if the refinements continue to be received as positively as they have been to date, the 550 Howard Street team “will be resubmitting a revised application with the modified designs by the summer.”

http://www.socketsite.com/archives/2...edesigned.html

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals