HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Nov 18, 2022, 8:06 PM
The Vomit Bag.

What about Maple Creek/Dildo equivalents? Who want's to start?

Old Posted Nov 18, 2022, 8:22 PM

Okotoks has one clear advantage over Milton...........it doesn't border Mississauga.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2022, 9:22 PM
recession proof

Okotoks has British Bangers
https://imgur.com/a/9dEuEGC
Milton has The Meat Terminal and Mississaugage.

I've been to both places and the reality is Okotoks is more like New Hamburg, Byron or Bolton while Milton has a beautiful fairly large old downtown and great semi-rural routes; Okotoks is a small village that became an instaburb more like Maple, Bolton or Uxbridge. Milton and Medicine Hat would be a better choice for comparison.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2022, 9:24 PM
Fake News

If Milton could be personified would Milton from Office Space be a good choice?

For Okotoks the closest I can think of is Mike from Canmore:

Old Posted Nov 18, 2022, 9:29 PM
recession proof

Until the 1990s, Milton was an old stock farming town. Today, it reminds me of Hope or Abbotsford BC: South Asian, trucking and distribution centres. It's not as redneck as Red Deer. It's got the downtown charm of Lacombe AB, mixed with the senseless sprawl and demographics of NW Calgary. The exurban/rural areas could be any 1970s+ strip along the east coast of Vancouver Island, from Cedar to MillBay, Parksville to Campbell River.

If you're judging Milton from the 401, you're an ignorant fool.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2022, 9:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
If Milton could be personified would Milton from Office Space be a good choice?
Nah, Milton would be one of the Bobs.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2022, 10:18 PM

There are no cities like Milton or Okotoks in Quebec. Mirabel would be the only choice but the city itself is not built in one block.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2022, 10:35 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaterMontréal View Post
There are no cities like Milton or Okotoks in Quebec. Mirabel would be the only choice but the city itself is not built in one block.
Come now.... Quebec's most infamous edifice resides in your Milton / Okotoks.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2022, 10:35 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
Nah, Milton would be one of the Bobs.
But which one?

Old Posted Nov 18, 2022, 10:44 PM
The Vomit Bag.

The one on the left. Only because I loved the way he played that syncophant "O'Neill" in Platoon.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2022, 3:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Inspired by the Regina/Winnipeg thread.

Both rank as the world's fastest growing cities. Both are hated on by Statistics Canada. Despite the rapidly growing populations, both seem to lack highrises.

Okotoks has a number of things to do, but Milton has a larger number of people.

Milton is for lovers.

wikipedia

Okotoks has the unfortunately named Semen Seaman Stadium. Can you give me a Woot?

dawgsbaseball
I see a Swiss Chalet in the bottom right portion of the Milton photo. Okotoks and Airdrie both had them at one time but they didn't last very long in those places. You're only in the big leagues and world class if you've got the Swiss!

Old Posted Nov 19, 2022, 4:15 AM
I am the law!

Milton is growing by 6000 people a year. Whoop-tee-fucking-do.

An industrial park. Yeah, that's what occupies our attention in the skyline threads.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2022, 4:34 AM

Quote:
Directly north and south of Calgary. Not to be forgotten is Balzac (Ballsack) where the Cross Iron outlet mall is located in between Airdrie and Calgary. There's also Cockring (Cochrane) NW of the city.

Edit: I have no idea where in southern Ontario Milton is located.
What about Strathmore or Chestermere? Those are the other two Calgary suburbs that I could name but I've never seen them in person. I've been through Airdrie and Okotoks, and spent a decent amount of time in Cochrane about a decade ago.

Milton is sort of near Mississauga and Oakville. It looks very 905. I think deadmau5 lives there. Those are the things that I know about Milton.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2022, 5:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco101 View Post
I see a Swiss Chalet in the bottom right portion of the Milton photo. Okotoks and Airdrie both had them at one time but they didn't last very long in those places. You're only in the big leagues and world class if you've got the Swiss!
Sad day when Swiss chalet closed down here in Airdrie! Had a good run though! Our smittys closed too but has been reborn now though! Even in the same location.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2022, 5:51 AM

Quote:
Airdrie is far uglier and more boring than Okotoks is. That hideous water tower next to the QE2 is its main distinguishing feature / only real skyline. There's also a pedestrian overpass with suicide fencing that crosses the highway connecting the 2 halves of the town.

Airdrie has no historical buildings to speak of or real heart to the city. Okotoks has a beautiful historic district.

Growing up that overpass was the only safe route across the highway, used it multiple times a day. Back then the 567 had no pedestrian access and the rat hole was very much just that. The water tower could go but there are plans for what to do with it being discussed. Mainly cosmetic fixes.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2022, 7:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaterMontréal View Post
I'd probably say Brossard or Vaudreuil-Dorion are the Montreal-area equivalents to Toronto's Milton.

Okotoks isn't even growing that fast these days like Milton. Airdrie is the closest analogue in the Calgary metro area.

Quote:
Laval is more like a Mississauga than a Milton.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hali87 View Post
What about Strathmore or Chestermere? Those are the other two Calgary suburbs that I could name but I've never seen them in person. I've been through Airdrie and Okotoks, and spent a decent amount of time in Cochrane about a decade ago.

Milton is sort of near Mississauga and Oakville. It looks very 905. I think deadmau5 lives there. Those are the things that I know about Milton.
Strathmore isn't really a suburb of Calgary. It's 50km of uninterrupted farmland from Calgary, aside from Chestermere, which is pretty close to Calgary's municipal limits. Strathmore isn't part of the CMA and unlike Okotoks, I don't really see it as "Calgary's"... it's more of a self-sufficient town with some super commuters who'll make it to Calgary. More like Barrie or Lindsay viz Toronto in that regard.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2022, 9:33 AM

Does Okotoks even exist? I think it is a figment of everyones imagination here?

Old Posted Nov 19, 2022, 1:38 PM

Looking at Google Maps, Strathmore is a 37 minute drive from downtown Calgary. It’s further out there for sure, but definitely not a Lindsay or Barrie which are both well over an hour from Toronto. I imagine a lot of people living in Strathmore are working in the industrial parks of Calgary’s east side.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2022, 3:59 PM

Quote:
He’s correct. Laval is no Okotoks, it’s a city of 500k, it is Montreal’s Mississauga or Montreal’s Burnaby. It has several subway stations, for example.

Reality is, Calgary and Edmonton are just too small as cities for Alberta to have any Lavals or Mississaugas at this point in time. It has Okotoks and Miltons, but it does not have Lavals or Mississaugas.

Not all aspects of all analogies are always guaranteed to work. Recall the mocking “What’s the California of New Brunswick?” threads? That was the point they were driving home

Old Posted Nov 19, 2022, 4:02 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
Recall the mocking “What’s the California of New Brunswick?” threads? That was the point they were driving home
The California of NB is obviously Shediac/Cap Pele with beaches like Parlee and Aboiteau.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada