HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Nov 9, 2022, 4:28 PM
PHL

I grew up in Abington and had Shapiro and his kids trick-or-treating in our neighborhood for my whole childhood. He's a great dude, it's so cool to see him as Governor now all these years later and I'm a whole adult. Time flies. Couldn't be more proud of him and of PA!

Old Posted Nov 9, 2022, 4:29 PM
Philly Rising Up!

^
Let's hope he shows Philly and surrounding suburbs some love.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2022, 4:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhigh07 View Post
I hope he does too but PA always seems to default to mediocrity. It needs a considerable shift if it’s going to remain somewhat competitive. Will he really be that much of a departure from Wolf? Philly needs to lead that charge but I’m still unsure if that will happen going forward. Realistically, we may end up getting Gym as mayor.
Regardless of if you support Progressive or Pragmatic Dems, we really really need ranked choice voting! Otherwise we are relying on back office politics (e.g. Rhynhart making a deal w/ Domb to drop out early - or any other permutation) to avoid splitting votes and allowing a lessor candidate to win.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2022, 5:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysb View Post
Regardless of if you support Progressive or Pragmatic Dems, we really really need ranked choice voting! Otherwise we are relying on back office politics (e.g. Rhynhart making a deal w/ Domb to drop out early - or any other permutation) to avoid splitting votes and allowing a lessor candidate to win.
Maybe, although that won’t be pushed through by next year. Rank choice voting can get messy and ugly, but the precedent so far seems to be that the winner tends to be a more moderate candidate.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2022, 5:55 PM

Regardless of your political affiliation, you have to be excited to have Shapiro as our new Governor if you're from Philadelphia or the surrounding area. He's definitely more of a moderate, and he cares deeply about this area. He will certainly be showing Philadelphia and the surrounding suburbs some love in his tenure. Tom Wolf always showed this area love.... I have a feeling Shapiro will show us even MORE.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2022, 6:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempleGuy1000 View Post
I am a big Shapiro fan, but I would temper expectations just because the PA GOP still controls the state house and senate. His wins in the central part of the state are big though. We would be a much better state if we could get rid of Jake Corman
[Pa Voters: Hold my beer...]

Looks like Dems are going to actually regain control of the PA House, which is one of the biggest surprises of the night.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2022, 6:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsarstruck View Post
[Pa Voters: Hold my beer...]

Looks like Dems are going to actually regain control of the PA House, which is one of the biggest surprises of the night.
lol I am not getting my hopes up, but I am happy to see the balancing out of the state house.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2022, 7:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhigh07 View Post
I hope he does too but PA always seems to default to mediocrity. It needs a considerable shift if it’s going to remain somewhat competitive. Will he really be that much of a departure from Wolf? Philly needs to lead that charge but I’m still unsure if that will happen going forward. Realistically, we may end up getting Gym as mayor.
Typical Philly response.

Is he a departure to Wolf? Have you ever seen Wolf rise above the emotion of watching paint dry? Did you see Shapiro's speech at Temple in comparison?

Also, it looks like the Dems have a chance to take back the House afterall.

Everyone can commiserate in their normal lesser than attitude but what happened last night in Pennsylvania is truly extraordinary relative to the rest of the nation. Our governor elect won a swing state in an environment unfriendly to Dems by 13+ points. Our Senator won in the same environment by what looks like it will be a 5 point margin. Not a single Dem in the US House lost, including those in seats that were redrawn to be more friendly to Republicans (Wild, Deluzio, Cartwright).

And we're going to take back the State House. And if not, so many Republicans lost in moderate districts that it should have been made clear to those that survived that the old antics are over. That change alone will make them more willing to work with Shapiro.

Happy Wednesday. I'm stoked.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2022, 7:42 PM

Old Posted Nov 9, 2022, 7:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post
Typical Philly response. .
I’m actually not from Philly - moved here a few years ago from LA. There is sort of a BosWash Acela bubble mentality I’ve found while living here lol.

Things can slide rather quickly and eventually it just becomes the new normal as was the case in LA and other west coast cities. All I’m saying is please be mindful of that - you don’t want to go down that road. Philly is too special a place to have that happen to.

I’ve just lived in enough cities to see how things go. I honestly hope he helps the state and I do like his pro-business platform.

Last edited by skyhigh07; Nov 9, 2022 at 9:55 PM.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2022, 8:13 PM

If what I'm seeing is accurate (credit @sixtysixwards) Dems currently lead by literally two votes.

https://electionreturns.pa.gov/Gener...tive=undefined

Too soon to float Shapiro for 2024?

Old Posted Nov 9, 2022, 9:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin7 View Post
If what I'm seeing is accurate (credit @sixtysixwards) Dems currently lead by literally two votes.

https://electionreturns.pa.gov/Gener...tive=undefined

Too soon to float Shapiro for 2024?
YES! PLS let him do work here first!

He has potential to be transformative for the state, especially with the house. I have high hopes for him!

Old Posted Nov 9, 2022, 9:54 PM

Yes, he has to prove he's an effective governor first and get his name out there. He beat a weak candidate and still has a lot to prove to national audiences. I would vote for him but that doesn't make him a viable, nationally known presidential candidate.

With all of this state's history, it's embarrassing that the only president to come from PA is widely considered the worst president ever.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2022, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
Yes, he has to prove he's an effective governor first and get his name out there. He beat a weak candidate and still has a lot to prove to national audiences. I would vote for him but that doesn't make him a viable, nationally known presidential candidate.

With all of this state's history, it's embarrassing that the only president to come from PA is widely considered the worst president ever.
I think we got lucky. Carville called him “the candidate of the cycle”. That being said, I’m now warier of local politics going forward for various reasons but we shall seeeeee…

Old Posted Nov 9, 2022, 10:44 PM
Chris

Quote:

He certainly is a rising star in the Democratic party. Assuming he is an effective Governor (which I'm sure he will be), it will take a cycle or 2 for him to become a national standout.

Off topic to PA, but the Democrats really need someone strong to take over from Biden and fend off DeSantis or Trump (ugh).

*Edit to add: Some good tibits on Shapiro's business plans for the state...
What does Josh Shapiro's win in Pennsylvania mean for the business community?
https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...-business.html

Old Posted Nov 9, 2022, 10:45 PM

Quote:

Trump only went to university here, he's not from here.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2022, 10:50 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by reparcsyks View Post
That "honor" goes to New York.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2022, 11:10 PM
Tony V / ValuezTV

A lot of Conservatives are done with Trump especially after this midterm, if you look on conservative reddit a lot of people are blaming him for the losses for GOP.

Everyone is now looking at Desantis for 2024 and to be honest Densantis VS Shaprio would be a great match if Shapiro can prove his self.

I'm a moderate and im from Florida so the person who gets my vote is the one who is best fit for the job. That could be Desantis or Shapiro.

Now another thing I was thinking was now that we have Shapiro and Fetterman do we think we can get legal weed passed in the next 2 years? Maryland just did it last night and that's a big thing for that state, the only other state in the area that almost had it was Delaware but Mr Carney vetoed the bill after a historic pass in the house and senate.

Also I wonder if Shapiro could gander support for Septa Projects such as Roosevelt line, Navy Yard, and Funding for Philly.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2022, 11:53 PM
Philly Rising Up!

Fetterman gonna need to start wearing suits. Lol.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2022, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reparcsyks View Post
I'm guessing he may have meant Pennsylvania's own James Buchanan who, at least before Trump, was widely considered to be one of the--if not THE--worst presidents in history.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development