HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Nov 25, 2022, 1:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammer139 View Post
CTV story on new roundabout at Southdale and Colonel Talbot

https://london.ctvnews.ca/southdale-...bout-1.6166485
London really needs to transform most of their intersections like this. If you've ever been to Kitchener down Homer Watson Blvd for example, they implement the round about a ton, and it makes for such a hassle free drive, you hardly have to stop. I feel like it would work for major intersections like Wellington/Commissioners, Southdale/Wharncliffe, Wellington/Exeter, etc. Londoners would just need to get more used to using them.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2022, 2:57 AM

Case studies on roundabout design. Good read and lays out the conditions where they work well.

https://www.ohm-advisors.com/insight...y-and-practice

Old Posted Nov 25, 2022, 11:13 AM

The problem that London drivers would have is the idea that someone "got one up" on them when they get to the roundabout and they have to wait for a break in traffic from the left. The mindset that "if this was a 4 way stop, I would be ahead of those 4 cars, now they are ahead of me".

Also people need to use their signals so others know their intent, so they can go when they should be able to. Nothing worse than waiting for that line from the left only to have one car peel off to their right without signaling, which if they had signaled, you could have gone ahead.

You have to have a certain level of aggressiveness at a roundabout, to take your right of way when it's your turn rather than being so timid you sit there until there isn't a car in sight. But also not be so aggressive that you cut people off either. Not sure if Londoners could handle that balance at a major intersection. This new one in the west will probably be the big test of that. I don't have traffic figures, but my sense is it will be one of the busier ones in the city.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Transportation & Infrastructure